Any recommendations for VoIP provider for asterisk?

Old February 26th 06, 06:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Angus Comber

Default Any recommendations for VoIP provider for asterisk?

Hello

I have been playing with and deploying asterisk systems working on
traditional PSTN lines for more than a year now. But have not yet tried
routing external calls over VoIP. I want to test this now. Can anyone
recommend a good provider in the UK for a small business eg 3-4 lines.

Are there any providers where you can setup a 'free' account where you do
not have to pay if calling another IP phone?

Is it best to use an IAX or SIP provider?

Many questions. Would very much appreciate any comments.

Angus

Old February 26th 06, 06:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Thomas Kenyon

Angus Comber wrote:
Hello

I have been playing with and deploying asterisk systems working on
traditional PSTN lines for more than a year now. But have not yet tried
routing external calls over VoIP. I want to test this now. Can anyone
recommend a good provider in the UK for a small business eg 3-4 lines.

Are there any providers where you can setup a 'free' account where you do
not have to pay if calling another IP phone?

There are plenty of these around, although afaik the only provider that
will give you a free incoming number is sipgate.

voip.co.uk will charge you a one off fee of 2 for an incoming number
(also SIP only).

Before choosing a provider, you should really try and work out how
heavily the service will be used.

At the moment I can't get more than 2 channels (incoming) working at a
time with voip.co.uk, but that may be a problem at my end. (not sure
what, I can get may sipgate accounts working at once.)

Is it best to use an IAX or SIP provider?

You will use less bandwidth (especially if you are making multiple
simultaneous calls) using IAX, sadly there are few providers that seem
to support it.

Many questions. Would very much appreciate any comments.

If you are making a lot of simultaneous calls, you may want to tell
asterisk to use a codec that has compression, there are details
regarding runtime requirement for these in the digium manual. (although
any fairly decent modern machine wouldn't have a problem with 3 channels).
Old February 26th 06, 09:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
alexd

Angus Comber wrote:

I have been playing with and deploying asterisk systems working on
traditional PSTN lines for more than a year now. But have not yet tried
routing external calls over VoIP. I want to test this now. Can anyone
recommend a good provider in the UK for a small business eg 3-4 lines.

Well you're in luck here. Competition is pretty fierce in the VoIP market,
so you really do get what you pay for. Sipgate is pure PAYG, but can be
prone to flakiness [allegedly]. Gradwell are highly regarded in every other
area they do business in, so I doubt they'd be any different in VoIP.

Are there any providers where you can setup a 'free' account where you do
not have to pay if calling another IP phone?

There's no reason why calling another SIP or IAX phone over t' net should
cost you anything if the recipient is willing; in the unlikely event that
your ISTP's proxy bars or charges for calls placed to other IP phones, a
simple

exten = ,30)

should do the trick! Some phones even come with Qwerty keyboards nowadays,
so dialling directly is a possibility.

Is it best to use an IAX or SIP provider?

You can trunk with IAX, but not with SIP. So if you're likely to have
simultaneous calls in one direction, then you could well realise bandwidth
savings with IAX. I believe Gradwell do IAX termination. On the other hand,
more devices support SIP than IAX, but this probably an irrelevance if
you've got Asterisk to do translating for you.

Many questions. Would very much appreciate any comments.

Sipgate being pretty cheap makes it easy to have a dabble without too much
outlay. Well worth a fiddle.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
20:46:52 up 32 days, 1:05, 3 users, load average: 0.05, 0.20, 0.39

Old March 1st 06, 09:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tony Mountifield

In article ,
Angus Comber wrote:
Hello

I have been playing with and deploying asterisk systems working on
traditional PSTN lines for more than a year now. But have not yet tried
routing external calls over VoIP. I want to test this now. Can anyone
recommend a good provider in the UK for a small business eg 3-4 lines.

I've had good service from www.voiptalk.org. They can provide incoming
numbers for a one-off charge.

Are there any providers where you can setup a 'free' account where you do
not have to pay if calling another IP phone?

You certainly can call other voiptalk subscribers for free. They may also
gateway to other networks free - I haven't checked as I don't need that.

Is it best to use an IAX or SIP provider?

Others have answered this. Voiptalk can do both SIP and IAX. I use IAX.

Many questions. Would very much appreciate any comments.

Hope this helps
Tony
--
Tony Mountifield