Help appreciated

Old February 27th 06, 01:10 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
archierob

Default Help appreciated

Comp 1 - Windows XP Pro.

Comp 2 - Windows 98SE. No Ethernet card. Does have usb.

NTL cable modem - Broadband 1mb.

Would really appreciate advice and list of products (and where to buy)
on how to get these two comps to share my cable modem as cheaply as
possible.

Many thanks.

Old February 27th 06, 02:51 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
archierob

Sorry just found out that the Comp 2 has:

Network:
Network Adapter PPP Adapter.

I dont know what the signficance of that is though.

Old February 28th 06, 12:13 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Steve C

Hi..

Shouldn't cost you arm and a leg.. but need to know a couple of
things..

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 13:10:14 GMT, "archierob"
wrote:

Comp 1 - Windows XP Pro.

What does or doesn't this have??
USB, ethernet?

Could this be your machine which is directly connected to your cable
modem?

Comp 2 - Windows 98SE. No Ethernet card. Does have usb.

NTL cable modem - Broadband 1mb.

Would really appreciate advice and list of products (and where to buy)
on how to get these two comps to share my cable modem as cheaply as
possible.

I'd go for a broadband router with built in ethernet switch - the PC1
(assuming it has ethernet) can patch into the switch.. The router's
"WAN" port then connects directly to your cable modem..

PC2 if only have USB and don't want to buy a PCI wireless card or
ethernet card.. you could get a USB wireless adapter - or even a
USB-ethernet adapter -neither should set you back more than say 25
www.directusbstore.co.uk have a load of USB type devices and bits..

For the router - Linksys are not bad for consumer market (I'm assuming
this is for home use)
I'm not up on pricing - but I don't think you'd be looking at more
than say 60
Can try places like ebuyer.co.uk or dabs.com
and even pcworld can do reasonable prices if you order online and then
go into the store to collect

Old February 28th 06, 12:29 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

In article
archierob wrote:
Comp 1 - Windows XP Pro.

Comp 2 - Windows 98SE. No Ethernet card. Does have usb.

NTL cable modem - Broadband 1mb.

Would really appreciate advice and list of products (and where to buy)
on how to get these two comps to share my cable modem as cheaply as
possible.

Cheapest[1] is to connect Comp 1 to the modem using the USB connection,
then connect the machines together using ethernet, a crossover cable and
Windows Internet Connection Sharing.

Slighty better[2] is to have two ethernet cards in one machine, and use
the ethernet connection to the modem, but still running ICS.

Best[3] is to use a router with multiple LAN ports - something like this
is cheap and will do the job. You could spend more and get more
features/better support ...

[1] Cheapest unless you consider the power required to run two PCs when
you might only want to be using one, in which case the cost will add up
over time.

[2] 1 above still applies, but ethernet is more reliable than USB and
has lower system overheads.

[3] Costs a little more, but you don't need to keep the connection-
sharing PC switched on and the router provides a form of firewall
protection as a bonus.
Old March 3rd 06, 01:01 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
JonMaC

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
t...
In article
archierob wrote:
[...]

all the above seconded ......... recommend a router solution, tho I have bad
experience with Linksys - would maybe suggest Netgear. JonMaC

Old March 3rd 06, 06:31 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Sucuba Dude

"JonMaC" wrote in message
:
"tho I have bad experience with Linksys"
You have been unlucky then, I've used them for years.

"would maybe suggest Netgear"
I would not. I've had to return several of them for different issues.
They seem to work for a few months and then start acting up.
Too many people say 'I think Netgear is ok' with no real experience of
them. If I had to chose between the 2, I would not entertain netgear
again and that is from day to day working in customers homes proving
to them that their broadband fault is their netgear router.

The mouse that has only one hole is soon caught out.
:

Old March 7th 06, 08:23 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
citizen142

Best[3] is to use a router with multiple LAN ports - something like
this
is cheap and will do the job. You could spend more and get more
features/better support ...

[1] Cheapest unless you consider the power required to run two PCs
when
you might only want to be using one, in which case the cost will add
up
over time.

[2] 1 above still applies, but Ethernet is more reliable than USB and
has lower system overheads.

[3] Costs a little more, but you don't need to keep the connection-
sharing PC switched on and the router provides a form of firewall
protection as a bonus.
Comp 1 - Windows XP Pro.

Comp 2 - Windows 98SE. No Ethernet card. Does have usb.

NTL cable modem - Broadband 1mb.

OK - so buy the above router also a Ethernet PCI card for the second
PC?

Insert the card into the 98SE comp.?

Plug the NTL cable lead into the router.?

Buy two (?) cables plug into comp 1 and one into comp 2?.

(Comp 2 is about 2 meters away from 1).

Is this correct? What cables do I buy?

Sorry but its hard for a novice to understand all the acronyms and
terms. So would appreciate something along the lines of:

Step 1 - Buy router, PCI Card, cables (2) (Type ??).

Step 2 - ?

Step 3 - ?

etc.