Registering your own Premium sms short code number

Old February 27th 06, 11:20 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.voip,uk.adverts.telecom.mobile
rommy

Default Registering your own Premium sms short code number

Hi!

Does anyone know how it is possible to register your own premium SMS
number in the UK?
Where should I start?

In Estonia (thats where Im from) I would use my national ID-card to
subscribe a short code of my choice (and end user price) over the
internet from the department of communication (or something like that
in English). They would look through your application and typically
approve it in about a week. Then you would get your desired short code
(if it is not taken by someone else) and it would be ready to use with
all of Estonia's mobile operators as soon as you get your software to
work with there SMSC-s(Short Message Service Centers). The maximum it
would take is a month, if your up to it then maybe 2 weeks. Here you
also have to pay an annual fee for your premium SMS number - depending
on the length of the short code from 500 to 10 000 a year.
If the premium SMS costs 1 euro for the end user then the operators
usually take about 20% and give the owner of the service about 80
cents.

Is there a goverment instance in the UK that deals with premium short
codes?
If not then where should i start? Maybe someone knows where to look for
some extra information.

NB! Anyone offering to use third-party sms-gateways - THANKS, i already
know how to do that, but what I am really investigating into, is how
can i register my own premium sms short code.

Any ideas guys?

Thanks in advance,
Roman