ADSL signalling - what happens on the physical layer?

Old February 27th 06, 05:39 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.telecom.broadband
rig doc

Default ADSL signalling - what happens on the physical layer?

Hi,
Does any one have any ideas on where I can find information on ADSL
signalling types?

Let me elaborate......

I'm keen on finding out what goes on at the physical layer. Is a carrier
ALWAYS present? Or does it require the equipment at the CPE to initiate a
connect to bring the signal from the exchange up? If the ADSL device at the
cpe DOES signal the exchange to start making a noise, then what sort of
initiation signal is sent?

With a scope or spectrum analyser, how would I measure the data rate? I know
the data rate is fixed by the ISP, as most routers will tell you the data
rate BEFORE authentication. How does the router perform this check?

In a nutshell, I'd like to be able to wake up an ADSL connection and get the
exchange to start the clock signal (I assume a clock is present) with
discreet components.

Now there's a challenge!

Old February 27th 06, 05:47 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.telecom.broadband
know code

rig doc wrote:
[...]

And this is cross-posted to uk.radio.amateur for what reason? Please
post to appropriate groups!

Old February 27th 06, 06:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
rig doc

And this is cross-posted to uk.radio.amateur for what reason? Please
post to appropriate groups!

I use the uk.radio.amateur group regularly and there's a number of technical
souls there who may have the correct answer to my questions.... There's many
a radio ham heavily involved in data comms......

BTW, you also cross posted your gripe, so that makes you even more stupid
than me!!!

Old February 27th 06, 06:22 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.telecom.broadband
Old Nicks Deputy \(first class\)

"know code" wrote in message

And this is cross-posted to uk.radio.amateur for what reason? Please post
to appropriate groups!

You can post any clap trap you like to this forum...I refer you to the
Wiltshire Womble.

HTH
tox

Old February 27th 06, 07:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry Broomhall

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 17:39:48 -0000, "rig doc" . wrote:

[...]

It isn't as simple as just a clock, or a single carrier. ADSL in
UK is a multichannel system known as DMT. The spec is fully given by
G.992.1 and other standards it may refer to (I don't have a copy here
to check) including the method of training the connection.

The data-rate is the result of a combination of all the channels.

The whole thing is far too complex for a newsgroup posting, but
searching on the ITU spec given, and reading that spec should get you
a long way.

I am, for the moment, ignoring ADSL2+ as it isn't widespread yet.

Regards,
Harry.

Old February 27th 06, 07:32 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.telecom.broadband
simon

"rig doc" . wrote in message ...
Hi,
Does any one have any ideas on where I can find information on ADSL
signalling types?

Google and a bit further on in the book you're quoting from. It just takes
a bit of effort to find the info yourself, or if you have a real question
just ask it.

Old February 27th 06, 07:36 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Furniss

rig doc wrote:
[...]

You can get G.dmt (G992.1) normally 96 Swiss Francs from www.itu.int -
they give three free downloads. The ANSI Txxxx standard is 300 dollars.

Andy.