Lan domain

Old February 27th 06, 09:51 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Bootneck

Default Lan domain

Hi

I am running a home server with abyss web server for my home LAN win98
machine as the server 2 x xp pro pcs 2x xp home pcs and another 98 back
office pc plus a win 98 epos till. My questions is can I run a private
domain name on my network with a DNS server on the windows 98 abyss server.

If so any suggestions how please.

--
If you find yourself in a fair fight you didn't plan your mission properly!

Old February 28th 06, 12:02 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Steve C

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 21:51:43 +0000 (UTC), "Bootneck"
wrote:

Hi

I am running a home server with abyss web server for my home LAN win98
machine as the server 2 x xp pro pcs 2x xp home pcs and another 98 back
office pc plus a win 98 epos till. My questions is can I run a private
domain name on my network with a DNS server on the windows 98 abyss server.

If so any suggestions how please.

I'm understanding that you want an "internal" domain name, but still
have all machines be able to resolve external DNS?

If so.. What you need to do is create a DNS Zone on your Win98 abyss
server (if this is the DNS server).. let's say it's called
mycompany.intra

Your internal PC's can all have this zone as the suffix if required..
ie XP_PC01.mycompany.intra

All you need to do is config all your internal machines to point to
the internal DNS server - then all internal DNS will function as you
require - then to resolve external DNS - ensure that your internal DNS
server is configured with "forwarders" to an extnernal DNS source.

So your internal DNS server will resolve stuff on the inside, and if
it gets a request to say google.com it will hand it off to the
forwarders (usually your ISP's name servers)

You can of course have an internal DNS server which uses root name
servers and caches it's own lookups (which I doubt you;d want -but
it's an option) - but if you did you just point your 98 DNS server to
this as your forwarder instead of the outside ISP name serverr.

You didn't mention which software you're running for DNS internally
(unless Abyss server has this built-in... don't know about Abyss)
Whatever it is.. it should have some kind of RFC compliancy for DNS so
forwarders should be able to be configured.
HTH..

Old February 28th 06, 12:56 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

In article
Bootneck wrote:
Hi

I am running a home server with abyss web server for my home LAN win98
machine as the server 2 x xp pro pcs 2x xp home pcs and another 98 back
office pc plus a win 98 epos till. My questions is can I run a private
domain name on my network with a DNS server on the windows 98 abyss server.

I find your question confusing - what exactly are you trying to do?
Old February 28th 06, 06:59 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Bootneck

Hi sorry if I confused issues by putting all the pc types down basically
I have a home LAN , 7 pcs in total.

Instead of having a work group ,, mshome, I was wondering if I could run a
domain from my server. I.e.

Clachan store.net just for internal pcs as I have a domain name ect for
external www.clachan-stores.co.uk

Its no big deal I am teaching myself running a server for the house and shop
to stores mp3,, data on.ect

Many thanks for the advice already given,,

Lee

Old March 1st 06, 12:41 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
John Fryatt

Bootneck wrote:
Hi sorry if I confused issues by putting all the pc types down basically
I have a home LAN , 7 pcs in total.

Instead of having a work group ,, mshome, I was wondering if I could run a
domain from my server. I.e.

Clachan store.net just for internal pcs as I have a domain name ect for
external www.clachan-stores.co.uk

Its no big deal I am teaching myself running a server for the house and shop
to stores mp3,, data on.ect

Many thanks for the advice already given,,

As far as I know you would need Windows NT, 2000 Server or 2003 Server
to run as a domain controller. (NT is pretty old now.)
Old March 2nd 06, 10:33 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Steve C

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 18:59:48 +0000 (UTC), "Bootneck"
wrote:

Hi sorry if I confused issues by putting all the pc types down basically
I have a home LAN , 7 pcs in total.

Clachan store.net just for internal pcs as I have a domain name ect for
external www.clachan-stores.co.uk

Its no big deal I am teaching myself running a server for the house and shop
to stores mp3,, data on.ect

Many thanks for the advice already given,,

Lee

I think to progress this.. forget what you "think" you need.

And tell us what you are really trying to achieve in laymans terms.
Not trying to be arsy here.. but I still don't really know what you
are trying to do..

What I mean is - you say:-
Instead of having a work group ,, mshome, I was wondering if I could run a
domain from my server....

I don't understand your question...

Help us to help you!
Old March 3rd 06, 10:24 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Andrew Chapman

wrote:

Hi sorry if I confused issues by putting all the pc types down
basically I have a home LAN , 7 pcs in total.

Clachan store.net just for internal pcs as I have a domain name
ect for external www.clachan-stores.co.uk

Its no big deal I am teaching myself running a server for the house
and shop to stores mp3,, data on.ect

Many thanks for the advice already given,,

Lee

I think to progress this.. forget what you "think" you need.

And tell us what you are really trying to achieve in laymans terms.
Not trying to be arsy here.. but I still don't really know what you
are trying to do..

What I mean is - you say:-
Instead of having a work group ,, mshome, I was wondering if I
could run a domain from my server....

I don't understand your question...

Help us to help you!

The OP doesn't seem to understand that there are two types of domain.

1. Microsoft use the term to refer to a set of computers, which are
centrally managed in terms of security, users, access, authorisation
and authentication. The alternative in Microsoft's terms is to use
workgroups as the OP says. This type of domain is private, for you or
your organisations internal use only.

2. However the more general usage of domain is as in computer
addressing, eg. clachan-stores.co.uk, microsoft.com, magic.gov.uk.
These are domains too, but are publicly recognised. Having a domain
name registered has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not you
use a Microsoft domain, which you can set up regardless of whether you
have an Internet domain or not.

Now if you want type 1, you need a computer running one of Microsoft's
server Operating systems; Windows NT, Windows 2000 server, windows 2003
server as was stated above.

Andrew

Old March 3rd 06, 03:15 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

In article
Andrew Chapman wrote:
snip
[...]

The last time I looked, SAMBA was doing a fair impersonation of a
Windows domain controller too.
Old March 4th 06, 04:34 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Flunkett Clogwheel

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
t...
"The last time I looked, SAMBA was doing a fair impersonation of a Windows
domain controller too."

Thats all it does, like linux with gnome/kde trying to do an impersonation
of windows, only without the user base, software or hardware. If the open
source world spends so much time trying to be windows and trying to work
with windows why not just buy windows?

Old March 4th 06, 07:24 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Bootneck

Hi Many thanks for the replies all, as I am new to the server side of
things I think I might be getting a little a head of myself. I will try and
break it down some what.

I have a old PC as a server,,, running aybss web server , php, and my sql.

A wired network of 5 Pcs plus a wireless network for a laptop.

instead of navigating to //shoppc/shareddocs.

I was wondering if I could just have a domain controller on the server say
to run," clachanintranet" as I said its more of trying to teach myself how
to make the best of my network, server than a real need.

Nice to be able to ask these questions and get some good answers.. I get a
little confused as I am trying to learn PHP, My Sql to run the shops new
site.

Lee