Voip.co.uk to 056 number

Old February 27th 06, 07:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

Default Voip.co.uk to 056 number

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 15:37:02 +0000 (UTC), adamc
wrote:

I went out for a drink with an old friend the other day, and it turns
out that he has a voip phone, through BT. His number begins with 056,
and he has a VOIP router that he plugs his phone straight into (no config
afaik). I have just opened an account with voip.co.uk.

Just out of interest, is it possible to call him so that the call would
be free? I know that voip.co.uk provide free calls during the evening
and weekend, but what would I dial to ensure that this was a pure pc-pc
call without using the PTSN line? I don't know about his particular
provider or whether they have set up peering agreements with other
providers. How would I go about finding out this information to get
free calls to him?

TIA
Adam

Firstly, unless it has changed very recently, it isn't possible to
dial 056 numbers, as used by voipfone and BT, from voip.co.uk.
However, if, in your dial plan you include :-

then, in my experience, voipfone numbers can be called for free.
You don't need to join sipbroker.com to use the service - just include
it in your dial plan as I have shown.
What happens is this... if the number is contactable via the Net then
it will route via the Net using sipbroker.com - if not then it will go
via your usual provider (in the case of voip.co.uk it just won't
route). It doesn't have to be an 056 number.
Check out sipbroker.com for details on how to include your friend's
number if he isn't currently contactable by this means.

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.