Max ADSL exchange enablement

Old February 27th 06, 10:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alan

Default Max ADSL exchange enablement

I understand that BT have set tentative dates for the enablement of some
5000 exchanges for max adsl over the coming month. What is exactly involved?
It does seem extraordinary that this number of exchanges can be enabled over
approx 30 days taking into account the years it took to get adsl into those
same exchanges or is this just a simple switching exercise?

Alan

Old February 28th 06, 08:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Alan" wrote in message
I understand that BT have set tentative dates for the enablement of some
5000 exchanges for max adsl over the coming month. What is exactly
involved? It does seem extraordinary that this number of exchanges can be
enabled over approx 30 days taking into account the years it took to get
adsl into those same exchanges or is this just a simple switching exercise?

Enabling the service is a simple change to the config files (and a reset?).
Upgrading the links from the DSLAM and the core to allow for the extra
traffic is more complicated but has probably been done over the last few
months.

Old February 28th 06, 09:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Terry_P

Has Plusnet made any announcement about how customers will be notified when
exchanges are enabled?

Terry
Old February 28th 06, 05:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pete M Williams

"Terry_P" wrote in message
news
Has Plusnet made any announcement about how customers will be notified
when
exchanges are enabled?

Knowing PlusNet, you will probably have to tell them due to the fact that
they are not allowed to email their customers because they may be breaking
the Data Protection Act.
Well that is the excuse they used when they were asked why they had never
emailed their customers about the price decrease's. Some poor sods were
paying 8 a month more than they should have been paying without knowing it
for months.

What is their slogan?
Ah, that's it................Plusnet, where we lead, others follow.
I do believe that the people involved in the 51,000,000 robbery last week
must have heard about PlusNets efficiency at daylight robbery and had a go
at emulating them.

Old March 1st 06, 11:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
RodP

"Alan" wrote in message
I understand that BT have set tentative dates for the enablement of some
5000 exchanges for max adsl over the coming month. What is exactly

involved?

Would there be any likelihood of ending up at a LOWER speed with max ADSL?
Here my line stats on 1Mbit are 63db attenuation and 8dB signal/noise
which is rather marginal for 1Mbit although the connection has been rock
solid since I got it last May. Would max ADSL suddenly decide that 512K
was the highest my line would support? Or does it depend on what speed is
actually able to be negotiated across the line by the equipment at each end?

Regards

RodP

Old March 2nd 06, 10:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Brian Morrison wrote:
Alan wrote:
I understand that BT have set tentative dates for the enablement
of some 5000 exchanges for max adsl over the coming month. What is
exactly involved? It does seem extraordinary that this number of
exchanges can be enabled over approx 30 days taking into account
the years it took to get adsl into those same exchanges or is this
just a simple switching exercise?

I don't know about the preparatory work, but the switch on is
simply a software exercise as the hardware is unchanged but the
fixed speeds are augmented by speeds controlled by a target
signal:noise ratio.

Not quite true as they have been fitting better/new monitoring
equipment onto their DSL racks over the last year or so. It used to
worry me when I walked into a MDF & see lots of red leds, it doesn't
anymore..