Is Voip.co.uk more reliable than Sipgate?

Old February 28th 06, 05:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Sam Jones

Default Is Voip.co.uk more reliable than Sipgate?

I have now taken the plunge and cancelled my landline and am looking
to replace it with voip via my cable modem.

I currently have a Sipgate account which sometimes isn't reliable. Eg.
The first time you dial it the number isn't recognised but then it
works when you try again. Also I get occasional engaged tones when
dialing out when I know the number isn't busy.

Is the voip.co.uk service likely to be more reliable?
Old February 28th 06, 07:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Dave Gill

Sam Jones wrote:

Is the voip.co.uk service likely to be more reliable?

I can't really comment on incoming calls, but outgoing calls have been
pretty reliable. A bit of a hiccup last week when the ATA occasionally
lost registration, but otherwise nothing to report.

I think a bit of a Google will bring up a few voicemail problems, but I
don't know what the current situation is there.

Old February 28th 06, 09:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 19:19:23 +0000, Dave Gill
wrote:

Sam Jones wrote:

Is the voip.co.uk service likely to be more reliable?

I can't really comment on incoming calls, but outgoing calls have been
pretty reliable. A bit of a hiccup last week when the ATA occasionally
lost registration, but otherwise nothing to report.

I think a bit of a Google will bring up a few voicemail problems, but I
don't know what the current situation is there.

I find voip.co.uk reliable. There has been the occasional problem but
generally they are good. The price is right and was just what I was
looking for. Compared to Sipgate they win in nearly every respect.
The voicemail though, currently, is basic. However, they tell me that
they are intending to update it soon. What I would like to see is the
ability call divert either to SIP addreses or to peering numbers.
Currently it is possible to divert only to standard numbers.
The site lacks documentation - that is something else they tell me
they are fixing.
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old February 28th 06, 11:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
DJ

In message , Paul Cupis
writes
wrote:
On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 17:55:34 GMT, Sam Jones wrote:
Is the voip.co.uk service likely to be more reliable?

My experience of them so far is mixed I signed up with them about
three weeks ago the first night I could dial out no problem but could
not receive incoming calls . I called them the next day and the guy
said it was a routing problem being caused by BT

Really? This does not sound likely to me - did they give any further
information?

This can be a BT problem, I had exactly that problem a while ago, but
with my sipgate number before sipgate went very crappy.
I reported it to BT and they fixed it, but got no feedback as to what
they did to fix it.

--
DJ
Old March 1st 06, 02:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Peter Watson

Nothing to do with IP routeing - Think phone routeing. BT need to have
the correct routeing information in their exchange network to know to
deliver a call directed to 01234 5678910 to voip.co.uk not to exchange
01234.

Old March 1st 06, 07:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Sam Jones

On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 10:07:09 GMT, Thomas Kenyon

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 21:58:53 GMT, Brian A
wrote:

The site lacks documentation - that is something else they tell me
they are fixing.

Their site/software needs fixing full stop and they do know about this
so they say , if you have two sip accounts with them and you go into
say the top one and make some alteration the next time you go in there
that particular account has jumped to second place and so on .

Yeah, the whole site looks like it's been put together by someone who
hasn't used SQL before. (no ORDER BY clause in the query in a lot of SQL
servers will order the results by the last time they were modified).

Thanks for the info. I have taken the plunge and registered with
voip.co.uk. Everything seems to connect OK, I can dial and receive
calls but have made a couple of calls this evening which have not been
good. There was a lot of background noise and one of the calls was
dropped and I was left with an engaged tone in the middle of the call.
This was after about 5 mins.

I'm using a Handytone 486 and the basic settings I have used a

Sip Server: registrar.voip.co.uk
Outbound proxy: proxy.voip.co.uk

Are these correct and are any of the other settings important?

Thanks for any advice.
Old March 1st 06, 07:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Dave Gill

Sam Jones wrote:

I'm using a Handytone 486 and the basic settings I have used a

Sip Server: registrar.voip.co.uk
Outbound proxy: proxy.voip.co.uk

Are these correct and are any of the other settings important?

I don't know what the Outbound Proxy settings are supposed to be (I
don't use an OB Proxy since there's no router between my ATA and my
cable modem) but I'm using proxy.voip.co.uk as my Sip Server (the Sip
Server is referred to as the Proxy in Sipura set-ups in case you're
wondering).