Tesco broadband.

Old March 1st 06, 11:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PUDDLE

Default Tesco broadband.

Has anyone got it or tried it.
Is it reliable.
Do you get newsfeed.

Old March 2nd 06, 12:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Robert Holdford

"PUDDLE" wrote in message
Has anyone got it or tried it.
Is it reliable.
Do you get newsfeed.

Thats

Yes
Yes
Yes

Best regards
Bob

Old March 2nd 06, 12:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JERRY

On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 00:04:27 GMT, "Robert Holdford"
wrote:

"PUDDLE" wrote in message
Has anyone got it or tried it.
Is it reliable.
Do you get newsfeed.

Thats

Yes
Yes
Yes

Best regards
Bob

does it have binary newsfeeds
Old March 2nd 06, 01:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
simon

"PUDDLE" wrote in message
Has anyone got it or tried it.
Is it reliable.
Do you get newsfeed.

It's NTL down a phoneline, yes it's reliable. It's only gone off once in
about 2years. The news server is more reliable than it used to be but the
news server isn't that good. It has binries but not the filthy ones or
pirated CD ones. Be aware that NTL/Tesco have taken it upon themselves to
accuse Hotmail, FSNET and Wannadoo of being a "haven for spam" and are using
a third party blocker to stop email from those companies. People complained
and they were told "use a web based email system then". NTL/Tesco tried to
encourage people to complain to other ISPs but it backfired.
The the cost it's OK but not as competative as Tiscali, but customer service
is extremely poor. I have had occasion to call and found that the person on
the helpdesk didn't know what a DNS server was, then couldn't understand I
didn't need to reinstall Windows in order for NTL/Tesco to repair their mail
server! There was also a language barrier and I only speak English with a
slight accent, so he couldn't understand a word I was saying - and I
couldn't understand what he was saying.
I would go for TISCALI instead depending how much you want to download.

Old March 2nd 06, 12:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 2 Mar 2006, "Halmyre" wrote:

The service slows up considerably in the evenings and often at weekends
- so I suspect there's some sort of contention on their system. If you
complain you get the usual accusations of it being your own problem.

There were various comments here a while back, about the service using
DataStream (where ISPs get a certain size 'pipe' from each exchange to
their data centre)...

Problem was that Tesco/NTL were not ready at all of the exchanges, and
in some cases may have high traffic contention at some exchanges if
they had a load of customers there... so speeds will be variable,
perhaps a bit more than for the bulk of IPstream ISPs...
Old March 3rd 06, 08:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Halmyre

Martin Lukasik wrote:
The service slows up considerably in the evenings and often at weekends
- so I suspect there's some sort of contention on their system. If you
complain you get the usual accusations of it being your own problem.

LOL.
Contension is on "the line", not a virtual-something which ISPs use to
punish us.
Broadband != SDSL =! leased line.
What you've paid for is what you've got.

I know contention is on the line - my point was that why don't Tesco
just admit that their service isn't capable of handling the traffic,
and stop trying to blame the customer?

--
Halmyre

Old March 3rd 06, 12:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Fri, 3 Mar 2006 08:49:34 UTC, "Halmyre"
wrote:

Martin Lukasik wrote:
The service slows up considerably in the evenings and often at weekends
- so I suspect there's some sort of contention on their system. If you
complain you get the usual accusations of it being your own problem.

LOL.
Contension is on "the line", not a virtual-something which ISPs use to
punish us.
Broadband != SDSL =! leased line.
What you've paid for is what you've got.

I know contention is on the line - my point was that why don't Tesco
just admit that their service isn't capable of handling the traffic,
and stop trying to blame the customer?

What you paid for was a line contended at 50:1 between you and Tesco. At
busy times that contention kicks in. It's what you paid for. You can get
1:1 contention (probably) if you pay more, but you're complaining about
an advertised attribute of the service you're paying for.

euthanasia recommended. ]
Old March 4th 06, 10:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George

On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 01:29:20 GMT, "simon" wrote:

"PUDDLE" wrote in message
[...]

Please don't ever, never, no how go for Tiscali. You aint seen trouble
til you use Tiscaliu.
Old March 6th 06, 11:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Filthy Rich

On Wed, 1 Mar 2006 23:44:06 +0000 (UTC), "PUDDLE"
wrote:

Has anyone got it or tried it.
Is it reliable.
Do you get newsfeed.

I install routers/modems for broadband household customers for a
living. Mostly BT, some Wanadoo, Tiscali, Tesco and AOL. I use
Pipex myself.

Out of all of them I can only say that Tesco is without any doubt the
fastest of the lot, appearing to be virtually twice as fast as any
other 2Mb connection. Accessing a new website is instant upon hitting
the go button.

Old March 6th 06, 11:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

wrote:

Has anyone got it or tried it.
Is it reliable.
Do you get newsfeed.

I install routers/modems for broadband household customers for a
living. Mostly BT, some Wanadoo, Tiscali, Tesco and AOL. I use
Pipex myself.

Out of all of them I can only say that Tesco is without any doubt the
fastest of the lot, appearing to be virtually twice as fast as any
other 2Mb connection. Accessing a new website is instant upon hitting
the go button.

Or they have a good cache...

euthanasia recommended. ]