Advice re phone/connection

Old March 1st 06, 11:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
old man

Default Advice re phone/connection

Hi,
I have several PC's on a nat print server/wireless reuter (includes 4
ethernet ports)
I use Skype, via soundcard mic/speakers
I'm thinking of buying a voip phone to plug into my reuter and would like
the ability to continue using skype, at least for the time being, whilst I
explore other connections.
I do not at this stage wish to use voip as my primary household phone, but
its something I might consider at a latter stage.
I believe voip phones may have more options than a box to plug a std phone
into?
What are my options / reccommendations?
TY

Old March 2nd 06, 12:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"old man" wrote in message

Hi,
I have several PC's on a nat print server/wireless reuter
(includes 4 ethernet ports)
I use Skype, via soundcard mic/speakers
I'm thinking of buying a voip phone to plug into my
reuter and would like the ability to continue using
skype, at least for the time being, whilst I explore
other connections.
I do not at this stage wish to use voip as my primary
household phone, but its something I might consider at a
latter stage.
I believe voip phones may have more options than a box to
plug a std phone into?
What are my options / reccommendations?

With Skype, you have no options. It's a PC based system, end of story. You
can use a USB handset if you want, but there it ends.

To use a normal phone, you will need an adaptor, or ATA. These generally
use the SIP protocol, which Skype doesn't. There are numerous providers
out there who you can get a number from, some free, some not so free, the
choice has to be yours, but for a free trial which won't cost you anything
to test out, there is Sipgate (www.sipgate.co.uk) which you can try with a
free softphone, but you will have to buy hardware if you want to use
anything else. Try www.voxilla.com for a good forum on different providers
and equipment.

Ivor