ADSL Modem-Router that also works as Wireless Router for cable modem..?

Old March 2nd 06, 11:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steph

Default ADSL Modem-Router that also works as Wireless Router for cable modem..?

Is such a thing available?

Have got cable modem at current address but moving to an area without
cable soon. Would ideally like to buy just one product.

ADSL2 compatibility would be nice as well, since I'm in a
future-proofing mood...

All your advice gratefully recieved,
--
Steph

Old March 2nd 06, 01:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton

"Steph" wrote in message
ups.com...
Is such a thing available?

Have got cable modem at current address but moving to an area without
cable soon. Would ideally like to buy just one product.

ADSL2 compatibility would be nice as well, since I'm in a
future-proofing mood...

All your advice gratefully recieved,
--
Steph

Loads of them.

BT will give you a free "2-Wire" (that's the brand name) router if you order
business broadband from them.

Has an ADSL port, 4off 10/100Mbps Ethernet ports, USB port, a bit of a
firewall, VPN capable and can connect several wireless devices. Works
pretty well from what I saw of it.

If you put {ADSL2 wireless Ethernet router} into froogle, it comes up with
loads, some under 50, including Netgear.

Old March 2nd 06, 01:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alan J. Flavell

On Thu, 2 Mar 2006, R. Mark Clayton wrote:

"Steph" wrote in message
ups.com...

Have got cable modem at current address but moving to an area without
cable soon. Would ideally like to buy just one product.

ADSL2 compatibility would be nice as well, since I'm in a
future-proofing mood...

Loads of them.

BT will give you a free "2-Wire" (that's the brand name) router if
you order business broadband from them.

Has an ADSL port, 4off 10/100Mbps Ethernet ports, USB port, a bit of
a firewall, VPN capable and can connect several wireless devices.
Works pretty well from what I saw of it.

Maybe we have different interpretations of what's being asked...?

The typical /cable/ solution consists of a box which has one WAN
Ethernet port, a NAT gateway function, several LAN Ethernet ports and
the wireless AP. The WAN port connects to the cable-provider's cable
modem Ethernet port (this is what my colleague does at home, for
instance).

The typical /ADSL/ solution consists of a box which has an ADSL port,
NAT gateway function, several LAN Ethernet ports and the wireless AP.

There are plenty of products of /each/ type around, but they're not
the same box, and I don't know how one would hope to use the ADSL-type
solution on the questioner's existing cable modem until he moves.

(I would assume that a product which can serve both purposes would be
quite a bit more expensive, since there's little call for it on the
consumer market.)

IMHO, there may be something to be said for getting one of the ISP's
recommended boxes when first connecting to ADSL at a new site, even if
it is a bit more expensive than the bargain box from the local
white-box shifter (e.g Plusnet currently seem to be recommending* the
BT Voyager 2110).

* http://www.plus.net/products/hardwar...asic_kit.shtml

But, as I say, such an ADSL box wouldn't be useful as a router on the
questioner's existing Cable line.

Old March 2nd 06, 02:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton

"Alan J. Flavell" wrote in message

"Steph" wrote in message

Have got cable modem at current address but moving to an area without
cable soon. Would ideally like to buy just one product.

ADSL2 compatibility would be nice as well, since I'm in a
future-proofing mood...

Loads of them.

BT will give you a free "2-Wire" (that's the brand name) router if
you order business broadband from them.

Has an ADSL port, 4off 10/100Mbps Ethernet ports, USB port, a bit of
a firewall, VPN capable and can connect several wireless devices.
Works pretty well from what I saw of it.

Maybe we have different interpretations of what's being asked...?

Indeed!

The typical /cable/ solution consists of a box which has one WAN
Ethernet port, a NAT gateway function, several LAN Ethernet ports and
the wireless AP. The WAN port connects to the cable-provider's cable
modem Ethernet port (this is what my colleague does at home, for
instance).

He has cable where he is, and I guess it has a cable port and a USB port.

The typical /ADSL/ solution consists of a box which has an ADSL port,
NAT gateway function, several LAN Ethernet ports and the wireless AP.

There are plenty of products of /each/ type around, but they're not
the same box, and I don't know how one would hope to use the ADSL-type
solution on the questioner's existing cable modem until he moves.

My interpretation is that he intends to use the cable box until he moves to
the new location where there is no cable and thereafter use the [single] new
box that he intends to buy as a replacement...

(I would assume that a product which can serve both purposes would be
quite a bit more expensive, since there's little call for it on the
consumer market.)

No, but if the cable box has an ethernet port then you can plug the ADSL
router into it and just use it as a switch for the time being, and discard
the cable modem after the move.

But, as I say, such an ADSL box wouldn't be useful as a router on the
questioner's existing Cable line.

OK as switch.

Old March 2nd 06, 04:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alan J. Flavell

On Thu, 2 Mar 2006, R. Mark Clayton wrote:

He has cable where he is, and I guess it has a cable port and a USB
port.

I read his subject as:

| ADSL Modem-Router that also works as Wireless Router for cable
| modem..?

and tried to respond on that basis...

(I would assume that a product which can serve both purposes would
be quite a bit more expensive, since there's little call for it on
the consumer market.)

No, but if the cable box has an ethernet port then you can plug the ADSL
router into it and just use it as a switch for the time being,

Well, my colleague with the cable connection gets one public IP
provided by the ISP on his cable modem Ethernet port: without a NAT
router function between there and the LAN, there's no point in having
an Ethernet /switch/, since there's only one public IP address to use.

I was kind-of guessing that the questioner is in the same position,
and wants (as his subject says) a *router* (assuming a NAT function)
which he can use with his cable modem until he moves: and a
conventional ADSL box isn't going to do that for him.

Of course, I could be wrong. Just doing my best to understand what
was asked for.

What /is/ feasible, is to buy a cable router with the usual 1 WAN
port, 4 LAN ports, and wireless AP, for use now. Then for the new
ADSL line get a cheaper ADSL router with just 1 Ethernet port. Link
that port to one of the LAN ports on the cable router, and disregard
its cable WAN function altogether, as I described in a recent posting.

But it may be simpler to just get the proper ADSL box for the new ADSL
connection, and flog the cable router on ebay or something.

regards
Old March 3rd 06, 08:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Doz

On 2 Mar 2006 03:51:15 -0800, Steph wrote:

Is such a thing available?

Have got cable modem at current address but moving to an area without
cable soon. Would ideally like to buy just one product.

ADSL2 compatibility would be nice as well, since I'm in a
future-proofing mood...

All your advice gratefully recieved,

AFAIK there isn't a router that works with cable and ADSL. (At least not a cheap
home router - our 2 grand Cisco in work will do it.. !)

If you put an ADSL router on a cable connection you won't get anwhere as all
traffic will try to go down the ADSL part of the router. And if you put a cable
modem router on an ADSL line.. you'll find there is nowhere to plug the ADSL
into as the ADSL modem will be missing from the cable router.

In short... Cable modem routers have a CAT5 ethernet WAN port and ADSL modem
routers have a ADSL modem as the WAN port. They are as different as chalk and
cheese.
Old March 3rd 06, 12:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton

"Alan J. Flavell" wrote in message

What /is/ feasible, is to buy a cable router with the usual 1 WAN
port, 4 LAN ports, and wireless AP, for use now. Then for the new
ADSL line get a cheaper ADSL router with just 1 Ethernet port. Link
that port to one of the LAN ports on the cable router, and disregard
its cable WAN function altogether, as I described in a recent posting.

Which is similar to my proposal, but the other way around.

But it may be simpler to just get the proper ADSL box for the new ADSL
connection, and flog the cable router on ebay or something.

regards

PS Bluepoint has a Sweex 4 port wireless broadband router for 24.45pexc.

Old March 3rd 06, 01:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alan J. Flavell

On Fri, 3 Mar 2006, R. Mark Clayton wrote:

"Alan J. Flavell" wrote in message

What /is/ feasible, is to buy a cable router with the usual 1 WAN
port, 4 LAN ports, and wireless AP, for use now. Then for the new
ADSL line get a cheaper ADSL router with just 1 Ethernet port.
Link that port to one of the LAN ports on the cable router, and
disregard its cable WAN function altogether, as I described in a
recent posting.

Which is similar to my proposal, but the other way around.

OK; but either way around, it needs two NAT router boxes (a cable
router and an ADSL router). Except that only one of them will have
its NAT routing function in use - which one it is, depends on whether
a cable connection or an ADSL connection is being used.

The point that I was struggling to get over is that I'm not aware of a
one-box solution on the consumer market that could do both jobs, which
is what I understood the questioner to be asking for. That's on the
assumption that what the questioner already has, really is only a
cable *modem* as opposed to a cable *router*.