Zen offer new 8Mbps service

Old March 2nd 06, 05:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim Downie

Default Zen offer new 8Mbps service

This just landed in my inbox. Might be of interest to non-Zen customers.

NEW THIS MONTH
Zen Internet launches two new broadband products today - Zen 8000 Active and
Zen 8000 Pro - to replace the Home 500, 1000 and 2000 services. Priced at
24.99 and 34.99 per month respectively, the new products offer radically
faster broadband speeds (up to 8Mbps) at no extra cost. Trials have shown
that it is not commercially viable to offer completely unlimited usage with
download speeds of up to 8Mbps, of course, which does means the introduction
of some usage allowance for the first time. Following today's launch, Zen
customers currently enjoying Home 500, Home 1000 and Home 2000 will continue
to receive the same services, and needn't do anything if they don't want to
change, but they have the option of moving up to one of the new products
with no transfer fee - whenever they feel the need for more speed.
http://short.zen.co.uk/?id=4c1

Old March 2nd 06, 06:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Slurp

"Tim Downie" wrote in message
[...]

News about a week old - plus you forgot the most vital bit ....

Active has a 20GB hard cap, and the Pro 50GB hard cap, then its an extra
1/GB

Old March 2nd 06, 06:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim Downie

Slurp wrote:
"Tim Downie" wrote in message
[...]

Sorry

plus you forgot the most vital bit ....
Active has a 20GB hard cap, and the Pro 50GB hard cap, then its an
extra 1/GB

Didn't forget. The fact that it's limited is mentioned in the message. I
figured anyone remotely interested would probably follow the link.

Tim

Old March 2nd 06, 07:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tekguru (Daron Brewood)

On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 18:10:49 -0000, Slurp wrote:

News about a week old - plus you forgot the most vital bit ....

Plus is this not only locally in Rochdale?
--
Tekguru (Daron Brewood)
MS-MVP/Mobile Devices

Webmaster: UKs largest Pocket PC Site
http://www.4WinMobile.com

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Old March 2nd 06, 08:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
Tekguru (Daron Brewood) wrote:
On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 18:10:49 -0000, Slurp wrote:

News about a week old - plus you forgot the most vital bit ....

Plus is this not only locally in Rochdale?

They are doing an LLU experiment in Rochdale, but the country-wide 8Mpbs
service is provided via the BT MAXDSL thingy...

Gordon (who'll be able to upgrade to it at the end of the month, but
who probably won't and stick with the uncapped 2Mbps service)
Old March 2nd 06, 11:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tekguru (Daron Brewood)

On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 20:17:31 +0000 (UTC), Gordon Henderson wrote:

They are doing an LLU experiment in Rochdale, but the country-wide 8Mpbs
service is provided via the BT MAXDSL thingy...

Cheers Gordon, so likely they will offer the 8Mb / 32Mb deal that Plusnet
are offering shortly as well then?

Old March 3rd 06, 12:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 2 Mar 2006 23:07 GMT, "Tekguru (Daron Brewood)" wrote:

... they will offer the 8Mb / 32Mb deal that Plusnet are offering shortly...

I don't think anyone is offering 32 Mbps yet :-)

These are the provisional prices for the Plus.Net accounts from April,
and all are 'subject to availability' because the speeds above 8 Mbps
won't be using BT, of course...

Broadband Plus Up to 8Mb for 14.99
Broadband Plus Up to 16Mb for 24.99
Broadband Plus Up to 24Mb for 34.99

Broadband PAYG Up to 24Mb for 14.99

Broadband Premier Up to 8Mb for 21.99
Broadband Premier Up to 16Mb for 29.99
Broadband Premier Up to 24Mb for 39.99

--
Plus.Net http://tinyurl.com/5jpa4
I recommend them and save some cash.

Old March 3rd 06, 05:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tekguru (Daron Brewood)

On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 00:59:17 +0000, poster wrote:

I don't think anyone is offering 32 Mbps yet :-)

Cheers yeah I was thinking of the 24Mb - servers me right for posting
mid-migraine.

Old March 3rd 06, 08:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob L

On 2 Mar 2006 19:03:48 GMT, "Tekguru (Daron Brewood)"
wrote:

On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 18:10:49 -0000, Slurp wrote:

News about a week old - plus you forgot the most vital bit ....

Plus is this not only locally in Rochdale?

I asked for the Active upgrade , the order was put into BT on 1st
March, it will be done in two stages, first will be a regrade to 2Mb
from my 500 account and then when the exchange (Buckinghamshire) is
fully upgraded (31st March) I should get the Max speed, as am only 100
yards from the exchange.

The first upgrade to 2Mb was done at 17:15 last night, that was a
nice surprise.

I like Zen, their tech support is excellent, but I think they could do
better with their new download limits.

If you do not use your monthly allowance, they should carry the
balance forward to the next month and so on.

So Zen if your reading this - how about it ?

Old March 5th 06, 11:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
SecretSquiddle

wrote:

On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 18:10:49 -0000, Slurp wrote:

News about a week old - plus you forgot the most vital bit ....

Plus is this not only locally in Rochdale?

I asked for the Active upgrade , the order was put into BT on 1st
March, it will be done in two stages, first will be a regrade to 2Mb
from my 500 account and then when the exchange (Buckinghamshire) is
fully upgraded (31st March) I should get the Max speed, as am only 100
yards from the exchange.

The first upgrade to 2Mb was done at 17:15 last night, that was a
nice surprise.

I like Zen, their tech support is excellent, but I think they could do
better with their new download limits.

If you do not use your monthly allowance, they should carry the
balance forward to the next month and so on.

So Zen if your reading this - how about it ?

So you'd like to see a Yearly cap, instead of a monthly cap. Wouldn't that
mean Zen would have to insist on 12 month contracts to make this work?

**SS**