avoid BT like the plague

Old March 2nd 06, 07:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kevin bailey

Default avoid BT like the plague

all the stories are true.

i've not used bt because of their bad reputation within the networking
consultancy industry.

for years i've used various companies, mainly demon, with no serious
problems.

now for a customer i've had to deal with bt and try to get a fault fixed.

not only can they not fix their own equipment - you can not even arrange to
get them to *try* to fix it.

you phone - they say another dept has to call you back - (no you can't have
their number) - and then no-one calls back.

it's over a week now and no end to this weird crappy story in sight.

i'm being serious here - we will probably *never* get it fixed - another
phone line (or cable connection) with another ISP looks like the quickest
way to sort this.

all because the huge stupid monopoly called BT is incapable of setting up a
simple router.

be warned - BT are already a joke within the industry - don't let them catch
you out with their incompetence.

kev
Old March 2nd 06, 08:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter

"kevin bailey" wrote in message
[...]

Most of us set up our own routers, ahh well.

Old March 2nd 06, 09:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian

kevin bailey wrote:
[...]

It appears your the one that's incompetent, half the time you can't even use
tour shift key.

Old March 2nd 06, 10:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Forrester

kevin bailey wrote:

all because the huge stupid monopoly called BT is incapable of setting up a
simple router.

Can you provide specific details of the router type and the set-up you
are expecting?
Old March 3rd 06, 06:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Flunkett Clogwheel

****wit.

Old March 3rd 06, 08:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kevin bailey

Colin Forrester wrote:

kevin bailey wrote:

all because the huge stupid monopoly called BT is incapable of setting up
a simple router.

Can you provide specific details of the router type and the set-up you
are expecting?

the router was a BT model 5861 - it has been replaced with a siemens 5830.

the client has 6 IP addresses - 1 for the router and another is assigned to
a gateway router.

Old March 3rd 06, 08:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kevin bailey

Peter wrote:

[...]

i agree that a wires only setup would be better - it's what i normally use.

i've just checked and the manager can actually access a web interface. we
might be able to set it up ourselves - but i think the admin login is not
allowed.
Old March 3rd 06, 10:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Forrester

kevin bailey wrote:

i agree that a wires only setup would be better - it's what i normally use.

i've just checked and the manager can actually access a web interface. we
might be able to set it up ourselves - but i think the admin login is not
allowed.

Stick your own 50.00 router on it then. We do this if and when the BT
supplied router fails.
Old March 3rd 06, 11:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Been there, read the book, got the T shirt.

BT supplied ADSL router - business 20:1 package. Router smoked. Took BT 6
weeks to replace the router.
Always promised to get back. Cust service always asked at every phone call
"have you checked you password".
I had to buy a router to sort the problem out while BT stumbled around in
the dark.

This was the worst of their failings. Many other issues too that were a
nightmare to deal with.

I have now ditched BT Broadband at all 28 of our offices around the UK.

But I find their telephone services quite good - a little more expensive
than other providers, but generally very good.
______________________

Old March 3rd 06, 03:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeremy

In article , says...
Subject: avoid BT like the plague
From: SuitSat
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 11:52:06 -0000
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband

Been there, read the book, got the T shirt.

BT supplied ADSL router - business 20:1 package. Router smoked. Took BT 6
weeks to replace the router.

In fairness it's the route into BT that's the problem. Been using
broadband for I guess about 4 years on a BT line but via another ISP.
That ISP seems to have a good relationship with BT. When my router
failed or required some other service that BT had to supply (it was
originally a BT broadband router) they would be there typically next
working day. 2 or 3 times had ot have BT out and never a problem. But
that was because the ISP handled the relationship with BT.

--

jeremy