REQ: Advice on 'always on' connections

Old March 2nd 06, 08:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default REQ: Advice on 'always on' connections

Sorry if this is a daft question.

Could someone tell me which of the uk internet broadband companies offer an
'always on' service. I am currently with ntl and want to switch to a cheaper
service but some that I've tried in the past have required me to 'connect'
first, in order to access the internet, which has taken as long as some
dial-up connections...

cheers
A.

Old March 2nd 06, 10:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Default Advice on 'always on' connections

Sorry if this is a daft question.

Could someone tell me which of the uk internet broadband companies offer
an 'always on' service. I am currently with ntl and want to switch to a
cheaper service but some that I've tried in the past have required me to
'connect' first, in order to access the internet, which has taken as long
as some dial-up connections...

Any broadband service will take a few seconds to initialise unless you leave
the computer and the ADSL modem on all the time. That is a limitation you
will have to accept regardless of what ISP you use.

Peter Crosland

Old March 2nd 06, 11:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Peter Crosland wrote:
Sorry if this is a daft question.

Could someone tell me which of the uk internet broadband companies
offer an 'always on' service. I am currently with ntl and want to
switch to a cheaper service but some that I've tried in the past
have required me to 'connect' first, in order to access the
internet, which has taken as long as some dial-up connections...

Any broadband service will take a few seconds to initialise unless
you leave the computer and the ADSL modem on all the time. That is
a limitation you will have to accept regardless of what ISP you use.

Peter Crosland

If you use a router you do not have any initialisation period. You
leave the router on & as soon as the PC is booted up you are on line
& away you go..

Old March 3rd 06, 01:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 2 Mar 2006 22:14, "Peter Crosland" wrote:

Any broadband service will take a few seconds to initialise unless you leave
the computer and the ADSL modem on all the time. That is a limitation you
will have to accept regardless of what ISP you use.

There's no "unless" about it... For any ADSL service there's a small
delay the first time an ADSL modem establishes connection.

What you've assumed, and presumably the original poster experienced,
is based on the use of a USB modem (yuk!) or perhaps a PCI modem.

If someone uses a router, as you could have pointed out, there is a
once-only connection delay, but then, assuming the modem/router
is left on, the connection will (usually) be on 24x7, short of there
being BT maintenance, ISP maintenance, a power cut, or some
network/equipment failure.

Most routers can be set up to simply connect again if the link drops,
so any time a person switched their PC on, the internet connection
should be 'up' and running. For the original poster, all I'd say is
to buy yourself a combined ADSL modem/router (watch out -
a 'broadband router' which doesn't mention ADSL is quite likely
to be aimed at people using a cable network).

Also, for those who say "but I've only got one PC, and a router
is for people wanting to connect multiple PCs" I'd just add that
the router can provide for multiple PCs, but will block many hack
attacks (because of a facility called NAT), is less load on the PC
than USB, can be used whether someone has a Mac, Linux, or
Windows (heck, even MS-DOS and various other OS options)
without USB driver problems, and of course, stays online, even
when you reboot your system, so has a number of advantages.

Various routers can be had for under 40 quid, from online IT
stores, such as scan.co.uk, solwise.co.uk, dabs.com and
ebuyer.com Reviews on www.ADSLguide.org may help!

quick list of budget routers (all +VAT and delivery)

22.99 Safecom ADSL 2/2+ code 90976 ebuyer.com
25.20 Edimax AR-7024A 3RDRWS dabs.com
22.49 Sweex 4 Port LN10623 scan.co.uk
27.49 Origo 4 Port LN5488 scan.co.uk
18.89 Dynamode R-ADSL-C4S LN6559 scan.co.uk
28.99 BT Voyager 240 LN8277 scan.co.uk
37.99 Edimax AR-7024WG LN10467 scan.co.uk

Pretty much all the routers I've seen have been older models than
the ones listed above, but my sister is using a Safecom, a neighbour
has an Origo model, and I know a couple of people with older Edimax
models. I've been using routers for 4 years after 1-2 months on USB
and would never go back from routers!

--
Plus.Net http://tinyurl.com/5jpa4
I recommend them and save some cash.
Old March 3rd 06, 02:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Chare

"A" wrote in message
Sorry if this is a daft question.

Could someone tell me which of the uk internet broadband companies offer an
'always on' service. I am currently with ntl and want to switch to a cheaper
service but some that I've tried in the past have required me to 'connect'
first, in order to access the internet, which has taken as long as some
dial-up connections...

I use Pipex. My router stays connected for weeks at a time. I would have
thought that most ISPs would be the same.

I don't use any of the Pipex web pages for normal use.

--

Michael Chare

Old March 3rd 06, 07:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Sorry if this is a daft question.

Could someone tell me which of the uk internet broadband companies
offer an 'always on' service. I am currently with ntl and want to
switch to a cheaper service but some that I've tried in the past
have required me to 'connect' first, in order to access the
internet, which has taken as long as some dial-up connections...

Any broadband service will take a few seconds to initialise unless
you leave the computer and the ADSL modem on all the time. That is
a limitation you will have to accept regardless of what ISP you use.

Peter Crosland

If you use a router you do not have any initialisation period. You leave
the router on & as soon as the PC is booted up you are on line & away you
go..

Only true if you have a stand alone device not a pile of USB rubbiish that
most people do. Even then it will take a few seconds for the PC to establish
a link with the router and therefore the ISP.

Peter Crosland

Old March 3rd 06, 08:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Doz

On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 22:14:41 -0000, Peter Crosland wrote:

Sorry if this is a daft question.

Could someone tell me which of the uk internet broadband companies offer
an 'always on' service. I am currently with ntl and want to switch to a
cheaper service but some that I've tried in the past have required me to
'connect' first, in order to access the internet, which has taken as long
as some dial-up connections...

Any broadband service will take a few seconds to initialise unless you leave
the computer and the ADSL modem on all the time. That is a limitation you
will have to accept regardless of what ISP you use.

Peter Crosland

An ADSL router is what you need... a router has the added security benefit of
being behind a NAT - your PC is hidden from the net.
Old March 3rd 06, 09:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

Peter Crosland wrote:

Sorry if this is a daft question.

Could someone tell me which of the uk internet broadband companies
offer an 'always on' service. I am currently with ntl and want to
switch to a cheaper service but some that I've tried in the past
have required me to 'connect' first, in order to access the
internet, which has taken as long as some dial-up connections...

Any broadband service will take a few seconds to initialise unless
you leave the computer and the ADSL modem on all the time. That is
a limitation you will have to accept regardless of what ISP you use.

If you use a router you do not have any initialisation period. You leave
the router on & as soon as the PC is booted up you are on line & away
you go..

Only true if you have a stand alone device not a pile of USB rubbiish that
most people do.

"Most people" use USB routers? Doesn't sound very likely to me...

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
21:02:17 up 37 days, 1:21, 3 users, load average: 0.10, 0.24, 0.25

Old March 4th 06, 09:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Stanton

"Most people" use USB routers? Doesn't sound very likely to me...

USB crap modems, he means

DAve

Old March 4th 06, 08:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

[...]

The connection to the router is established on boot, as part of the boot,
& so you won't even have the few seconds to wait. You boot up & you are
connected, no wait at all

Not strictly true. The connection to the router takes a few seconds after
the machine has booted usually to obtain the address from the DHCP server
within the router. It may ony be a few seconds but this was, I assume, what
the OP was originally complaining about.

Peter Crosland