BT bumps broadband speed up

Old March 2nd 06, 09:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
www.amstereofan.tk

Default BT bumps broadband speed up

BT says that 99.6 per cent of UK homes and businesses will be able to get
higher speed broadband from the end of this month. The UK incumbent said
that 78 per cent of BT customer lines should be able to support 4Mbit/s and
above, while 42 per cent will get 6Mbit/s and above. Those special people
who live or work very close to their exchange may get upto 8Mb/s. BT said it
is upgrading 5,300 exchanges to support these speeds. Pity those poor souls
hooked up to the 150 smaller exchanges who won't get the spanking new speeds

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/03/02/bt_speed_jump/

Old March 2nd 06, 09:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Terry

"www.amstereofan.tk" wrote in message
BT says that 99.6 per cent of UK homes and businesses will be able to get
higher speed broadband from the end of this month. The UK incumbent said
that 78 per cent of BT customer lines should be able to support 4Mbit/s

and
above, while 42 per cent will get 6Mbit/s and above. Those special people
who live or work very close to their exchange may get upto 8Mb/s. BT said

it
is upgrading 5,300 exchanges to support these speeds. Pity those poor

souls
hooked up to the 150 smaller exchanges who won't get the spanking new

speeds

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/03/02/bt_speed_jump/

So are these changes likley to improve everyones chances of getting faster
speeds? I was told my ADSL was maximum 1MB, although when I spoke to a BT
guy some months ago, he said the line was likely to handl 2MB.. Does this
mean I am likely to now be able to get higher speeds here? What is the
change all about? How come we can suddenly all ge faster speeds? Why, how?

Thanks
Terry

Old March 2nd 06, 10:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

[...]

Do a Google search on MAX DSL that will reveal. all.

Peter Crosland

Old March 2nd 06, 11:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Terry

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
[...]

A google search revealed nothing to answer my question at all. That being,
how can BT suddenly offer 8MB speeds using a line that was only able to do
1MB up to now? My line length and quality will be the same at the end of
March as it is now, so are they dropping the rules on SNR etc to allow
faster speeds? If so, wont that just lead to bad / unreliable connections?
Or will these speed increases only be available to customers within spitting
distance of the exchange?

Old March 2nd 06, 11:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Terry wrote:
[...]

yourself where does it state everybody will be getting 8Mb..

It doesn't, which sort of puts the rest of your argument in the rant
file...

Old March 3rd 06, 01:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
www.amstereofan.tk

"kráftéé" [email protected] you know what'sgoodforu.pus.com
wrote in message ...
Terry wrote:
[...]

Tut tut why do you have this 'clever' put down maner ? The guy is perfectly
entitled to ask what he asked...I think I read that BT is dropping the
conservitive figure it gives for exchanges ie my local exchange says on most
broadband checker sites 1MB but I have been on 2MB for some months now with
a 100% reliable service. Plus it's just new technology improving things
much like ADSL 2 is / will. adsl will eventually be like electricity,
anywhere and everywhere, city wide / country wide wireless et all... I hate
to think what's it doing to the enviroment but there you go...

Terry have a read / post on the forums at www.adslguide.org.uk

In fact the front page at www.adslguide.org.uk has an 'item' about Max DSL
under 'broadband news'

Terry have a read / post on the forums at www.adslguide.org.uk

It was not intended as a put down at all. Just a concise answer that would
enable the OP to find the answer without me doing exactly the same search
for him. I checked the search and it produced numerous answers. For the OP
to say the search revealed nothing is absurd.

Peter Crosland

Old March 3rd 06, 08:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
WCZ

"www.amstereofan.tk" wrote in message
BT says that 99.6 per cent of UK homes and businesses will be able to get
higher speed broadband from the end of this month. The UK incumbent said
that 78 per cent of BT customer lines should be able to support 4Mbit/s
and above, while 42 per cent will get 6Mbit/s and above. Those special
people who live or work very close to their exchange may get upto 8Mb/s.
BT said it is upgrading 5,300 exchanges to support these speeds. Pity
those poor souls hooked up to the 150 smaller exchanges who won't get the
spanking new speeds

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/03/02/bt_speed_jump/

I'll be in the 0.4% since BT wrapped my phone line around Australia before
sending it to my house.

Old March 3rd 06, 08:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 3 Mar 2006 07:26, "Peter Crosland" wrote:
SNIPPED
It was not intended as a put down at all. Just a concise answer that would
enable the OP to find the answer without me doing exactly the same search
for him. I checked the search and it produced numerous answers. For the OP
to say the search revealed nothing is absurd.

LOL - that comment wasn't directed at you anyway, but in your
follow-up you managed to cut the mention of *kraftee*, whose
comment was the one being complained about. I thought
MS OE showed threas OK, so it would have been quite
obvious the comment was not a follow-up to yours!