WAR DRIVERS

Old March 2nd 06, 11:52 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
scouse_mouse

Default WAR DRIVERS

Quite recentley I set up my own home network system using broadband netgear
adapter card and belkin router quite proud of myself :-) had no probs at all
until I was told of these "war drivers" wow! being new to all this I was very
suprised.Then I checked my network out using my hp3600 thankfully i sorted
it.Has any one saw these so called war drivers.

Message sent by Excite Newsgroups.
http://www.excite.co.uk/newsgroup

Old March 3rd 06, 01:27 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
liam

"scouse_mouse" wrote in message
Quite recentley I set up my own home network system using broadband
netgear
adapter card and belkin router quite proud of myself :-) had no probs at
all
until I was told of these "war drivers" wow! being new to all this I was
very
suprised.Then I checked my network out using my hp3600 thankfully i sorted
it.Has any one saw these so called war drivers.

I think you need to know what it is first as your message doesn't make
sense.

Old March 3rd 06, 09:48 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Gareth Halfacree

scouse_mouse wrote:
Has any one saw [sic] these so called war drivers.

I suppose you could call me a 'war walker', if you said it quickly and I
didn't hear you. If I'm wandering around and feeling bored enough, I'll
often use a copy of Netchaser and a GPS unit to scan for wireless
networks. Just turn both units on and leave 'em in my pocket; when I
get home, it's simply a case of uploading the logfile to
GPSVisualizer.com and I get a lovely Google Map with icons representing
the location of each network (or, for the sake of accuracy, icons
representing *my* location at the time the networks were found which
isn't quite the same thing).

Yes, it's sad, but it can be quite interesting at times. The 21st
Century equivalent to trainspotting, I guess - netspotting.

--
Gareth Halfacree
http://gareth.halfacree.co.uk
Old March 3rd 06, 11:33 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Trev

"Gareth Halfacree" wrote in message
scouse_mouse wrote:
Has any one saw [sic] these so called war drivers.

I suppose you could call me a 'war walker', if you said it quickly and I
didn't hear you. If I'm wandering around and feeling bored enough, I'll
often use a copy of Netchaser and a GPS unit to scan for wireless
networks. Just turn both units on and leave 'em in my pocket; when I get
home, it's simply a case of uploading the logfile to GPSVisualizer.com and
I get a lovely Google Map with icons representing the location of each
network (or, for the sake of accuracy, icons representing *my* location at
the time the networks were found which isn't quite the same thing).

Yes, it's sad, but it can be quite interesting at times. The 21st Century
equivalent to trainspotting, I guess - netspotting.

ah but yes but . There is a difference in seeing them and them not being
encrypted so that any Tom, Dick and Harry can share the broadband. Even more
so reading your HDD for passwords

Old March 3rd 06, 11:46 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Gareth Halfacree

scouse_mouse wrote:
Has any one saw [sic] these so called war drivers.

If I'm wandering around and feeling bored enough, I'll
often use a copy of Netchaser and a GPS unit to scan for wireless
networks. Just turn both units on and leave 'em in my pocket; when I get

ah but yes but . There is a difference in seeing them and them not being
encrypted so that any Tom, Dick and Harry can share the broadband. Even more
so reading your HDD for passwords

Netchaser records the status of the access point, highlighting networks
that are not encrypted. Which is a distressingly high number of them,
including (in my area) several large corporate networks. To take the
game further, a copy of Kismet will allow me to capture encrypted
packets, and a single such packet fed to WEPCrack will allow me to gain
the network key (and, thus, access to the network) within the hour.
Although I'd need the laptop on me for that. WPA is a little more
difficult, of course.

And why would you want to read a harddrive for passwords
(\\wirelessclient\c$, thanks to the predilection the NT kernel has for
sharing out all drives without your knowledge/consent) when you can just
sit on the wire and wait for them to type them? Not that I condone such
activity.

--
Gareth Halfacree
http://gareth.halfacree.co.uk