How to get a MAC code?

Old March 3rd 06, 01:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Kennaway

Default How to get a MAC code?

I want to change my ISP from Fast24 to Zen, but Fast24, after saying
that their broadband supplier was talking 2-3 weeks to cough up a MAC,
now tell me that their supplier aren't giving out MAC codes at all. Is
there anything I can do about this short of going through an expensive
disconnect/reconnect with loss of broadband access between? Fast24
won't tell me who their supplier is.

--
Richard Kennaway
Old March 3rd 06, 04:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Spack

Richard wrote on Fri, 3 Mar 2006 13:17:52 +0000:

I want to change my ISP from Fast24 to Zen, but Fast24, after saying
that their broadband supplier was talking 2-3 weeks to cough up a MAC,
now tell me that their supplier aren't giving out MAC codes at all. Is
there anything I can do about this short of going through an expensive
disconnect/reconnect with loss of broadband access between? Fast24
won't tell me who their supplier is.

I thought that was against OFCOM regulations.

Dan

Old March 3rd 06, 05:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony Hogarty

On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 16:52:11 +0000, Spack wrote:

I thought that was against OFCOM regulations.

Nope, MAC codes are currently a voluntary agreement between participating
suppliers as far as I understand it.

--
Regards
Tony

Old March 3rd 06, 05:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Spack

Tony wrote on Fri, 03 Mar 2006 17:04:01 +0000:

On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 16:52:11 +0000, Spack wrote:

I thought that was against OFCOM regulations.

Nope, MAC codes are currently a voluntary agreement between participating
suppliers as far as I understand it.

Ah.

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/advice/codes/bbm_cop/

I see Fast24 are not listed there.

Dan

Old March 3rd 06, 07:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Fri, 3 Mar 2006 17:04:01 UTC, Tony Hogarty
wrote:

On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 16:52:11 +0000, Spack wrote:

I thought that was against OFCOM regulations.

Nope, MAC codes are currently a voluntary agreement between participating
suppliers as far as I understand it.

And so are MACs!

euthanasia recommended. ]
Old March 6th 06, 07:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

On Fri, 3 Mar 2006 13:17:52 +0000, (Richard
Kennaway) wrote:

I want to change my ISP from Fast24 to Zen, but Fast24, after saying
that their broadband supplier was talking 2-3 weeks to cough up a MAC,
now tell me that their supplier aren't giving out MAC codes at all. Is
there anything I can do about this short of going through an expensive
disconnect/reconnect with loss of broadband access between? Fast24
won't tell me who their supplier is.

I am having the exact same troubles as you mate.

I am also with Fast 24 but not by choice. Was previously with Central
Point Broadband (CPBB) who I was quite happy with and the service and
customer service was excellent. Fast 24 then showed up and took over
the ADSL business of CPBB and the service plummeted since.

BT supply Fast 24 but you won't get any help or answers from them
either!

As far as I am aware Fast 24 seems to be a one man show! It is always
the same person I speak with on the phone. This is probably one of the
reasons the service is so atrocious.

I don't know who is telling the truth in this situation or not.
Whether Fast 24 are at fault and are fobbing people off with no
intention of supplying a MAC to them. Or whether BT are not supplying
the MACs to Fast 24? Perhaps they are both at fault?

Either way I requested a MAC from Fast 24 eight months ago! I have had
numerous telephone conversation with that bloke, there have been
thousands more times I couldn't get through. I have also emailed,
faxed and sent recorded letters to them requesting the MAC code over
the last 8 months, and so far absolutely nothing!

I have also contacted BT in the last couple of months and have been
stonewalled by them as well. After giving them all the details of our
line number and account number with them, and details of Fast 24, they
have also not been any help. They are both absolutely pathetic and
don't know what they are doing.

I'd be surprised if Fast 24 stay in business that long and BT wouldn't
be in business if they didn't have an exclusive monopoly on the phone
lines it's as simple as that. I think BT must stand for Bloody
Terrible, and Fast 24 well that can stand for Something Atrocious
Service Terminated. And the 24 is probably the number of customers
they have left.

I personally think it is their policy to fob people off and I don't
even believe they have requested it from BT. Even if they had, it
simply doesn't take 8 months or longer to issue it. If BT are at fault
and they are slow, I also would believe that Fast 24 would still not
have done much to pursue the matter. How could they though? As far as
I am aware as I said previously they are a dodgy one man show.

Three weeks back I had simply had enough of the BS from them. I sent a
letter recorded delivery telling them I wanted the service cancelled
and I didn't want to be charged any more after the current billing
cycle ended. It is due to be cancelled next week, and the only thing
we can really do to get rid of Fast 24 is to cancel the service and
pay to reactivate it with another more reliable provider.

Hopefully the telephone line will be freed up as soon as possible, but
I have heard that there have also been many problems and issues
freeing the line after your ADSL has been cancelled with one company.
It can take a number of weeks in some cases. Hopefully it should go
quite smoothly but I am not confident on that. The main thing is I
will have gotten rid of Fast 24 at last. I will probably have to use
Dial-Up for a short period of time which is going to be a complete
pain in the backside.

Knowing my luck Fast 24 will continue to pull a fast one and charge me
even though I have given them notice that I want the service
cancelled. So I am going to have to keep an eye out for that next
week.

As soon as that is cancelled I am going to try my best to get the line
freed up and sign up with a new provider. Like you I am also
considering Zen, as well as one or two others like Vispa, Euro1Net,
Firefly, SurfAnytime etc. I am probably going to go with Zen though.

I will also be writing to Ofcom and my MP once this mess is sorted out
and I'm going to include all the documentation. Hopefully my MP will
get someone to pull their finger out and make it obligatory that ISPs
provide MACs, and immediately upon request. It's clear that many
people are having similar problems to us, and especially with getting
the line freed up afterwards.

I don't know who is more at fault but I'm pretty sure both BT and Fast
24 are on this, and companies who mess you around like this need to be
sorted out.

Good luck with your migration

John