Signal Noise Ratio

Old March 4th 06, 09:47 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

Default Signal Noise Ratio

I've recently downloaded Netstumbler.

Due to what appears and awful adsl connection this Saturday morning
(Pipex 1Mb) I am viewing Netstumbler's read out.

The readings are as follows;
SNR = 57
Signal+ = -39
Noise = -100
SNR+ = 61

I've no idea whether these are good, bad or average and the signal+
shows a negative number.

Can anyone enlighten me as to these figures

Geoff Lane
Old March 4th 06, 10:23 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article , Geoff Lane
says...
I've recently downloaded Netstumbler.

Due to what appears and awful adsl connection this Saturday morning
(Pipex 1Mb) I am viewing Netstumbler's read out.

The readings are as follows;
SNR = 57
Signal+ = -39
Noise = -100
SNR+ = 61

I've no idea whether these are good, bad or average and the signal+
shows a negative number.

Can anyone enlighten me as to these figures

Geoff Lane

The bigger the - number, the lower the volume/signal that the modem
hears.. Ergo, you want "noise" value to be as large as possible
negative figure and signal to be as low as possible. If it is too low
though, it can cause issues of its own.

--
Conor,

Same ****, different day.
Old March 4th 06, 12:35 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alex Fraser

"Geoff Lane" wrote in message
I've recently downloaded Netstumbler.

....which AFAICT is a WiFi tool, so...

Due to what appears and awful adsl connection this Saturday morning
(Pipex 1Mb) I am viewing Netstumbler's read out.

....this doesn't seem to follow.

Alex

Old March 4th 06, 06:12 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

In article
Geoff Lane wrote:
I've recently downloaded Netstumbler.

Due to what appears and awful adsl connection this Saturday morning
(Pipex 1Mb) I am viewing Netstumbler's read out.

The readings are as follows;
SNR = 57
Signal+ = -39
Noise = -100
SNR+ = 61

I've no idea whether these are good, bad or average and the signal+
shows a negative number.

If you think it's the ADSL that's the problem, should you not be
checking the modem status rather than the wifi status?
Old March 4th 06, 07:54 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

On Sat, 4 Mar 2006 12:35:51 -0000, "Alex Fraser"
wrote:

I've recently downloaded Netstumbler.

...which AFAICT is a WiFi tool, so...

Due to what appears and awful adsl connection this Saturday morning
(Pipex 1Mb) I am viewing Netstumbler's read out.

...this doesn't seem to follow.

My Pipex connection is 1Mb, my data transmission was very slow, I gave
up on a 11MB download.

I was viewing Netstumbler's data read outs to see if the problem was
from AP to my computer, for all I know it may have been bandwidth on
my connection.

Geoff Lane

Old March 4th 06, 07:56 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

On Sat, 4 Mar 2006 18:12:12 -0000, Rob Morley
wrote:

I've recently downloaded Netstumbler.

Due to what appears and awful adsl connection this Saturday morning
(Pipex 1Mb) I am viewing Netstumbler's read out.

The readings are as follows;
SNR = 57
Signal+ = -39
Noise = -100
SNR+ = 61

I've no idea whether these are good, bad or average and the signal+
shows a negative number.

If you think it's the ADSL that's the problem, should you not be
checking the modem status rather than the wifi status?

Perhaps I should have said 'Due to what appears an awful connection'
and left out the adsl bit, my mistake.

Geoff Lane