ADSL Modem connects to internet but router will not

Old March 4th 06, 10:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brent

Default ADSL Modem connects to internet but router will not

Strange problem.
I have a Belkin F5D7630 modem router.

Broadband ISP is Toucan. I can connect to the internet without a problem
using a standard ADSL USB modem. However, cannot connect to the internet
using the modem router.

At first I thought that this was a problem with the router. First I
exchanged the router for a replacement - but it still didn't work. Now I
have tried the router at another address several miles away (on a different
exchange) - This time the router connects to the internet perfectly - this
is also using Toucan as the ISP.

So I know that I can get broadband because I can connect using ADSL modem.
I also know that the router works okay because it has connected to same ISP
at a different address.
The only difference seems to be my telephone line itself - but if the line
is at fault then why would it allow the ADSL USB modem to connect.

Toucan tech support - useless.
Belkin tech support - not there

Can anybody help?

Old March 4th 06, 11:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Brent offered these words:

Strange problem.
I have a Belkin F5D7630 modem router.

I can connect to the internet without a problem
using a standard ADSL USB modem.

So we have established that the DSL is working on your line.

However, cannot connect to the internet
using the modem router.

But you can see the routers admin page and log into it (thus proving the
networking connection to it is good??? If not and you are sure you have
set up your networking I would suggest that you check the obvious one that
catches everyone out. That is disable any firewall and try again. Norton
Internet Sercurity for example will let no network traffic through if it
has not had the networking options set up

So I know that I can get broadband because I can connect using ADSL
modem. I also know that the router works okay because it has connected to
same ISP at a different address.

I would ask myslef Does it sync up ok with the BT Exchnage (Steady DSL
light, not flashing)

If not are you using the same filter on it as you were with the usb
offering or a new one that came with it?

If you are satisfied that the router is in sync with the exchange,
All firewalls are not causing issues (disabled) then I would check
my network settings. I would assign the PC a manual IP address one above
the routers own( eg 192.168.7.2) (subnet 255.255.255.0) set the default
gateway to the ddress of the router (eg 192.168.7.1) set the DNS to that
of your isp or 158.43.240.4 / 158.43.240.3 and retry.

It's nearly ALWAYS something really simple. I know that does not help much
but break the issue down into what is not happening.

Can see router on network (yes/no)
Router is sync'd to exchange ok
Using correct username and password

An outside possibility would be the ISP limiting access to one MAC address,
that being you usb modem, but I am not sure if anyone still does that?
Old March 5th 06, 12:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Durham

On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 22:47:22 -0000, Brent
wrote:

[...]

A further update. I have now tried the router at the other address
again. Just plugged it in without changing any settings at all (same
login details etc) - connected to exactly the same laptop - works a
dream & using it now!

So it is the same router connected to the same laptop without changing any
settings - works at one address but not the other.

Surely this is something to do with the line - I just don't understand why
ADSL modem works okay though.

Brent

Old March 5th 06, 02:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
cw

Does the router have any logging capabilities? You may be able to glean
some useful information out of those..

--
Colin
Old March 5th 06, 08:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Paul Durham offered these words:

wrote:

A further update. I have now tried the router at the other address
again. Just plugged it in without changing any settings at all (same
login details etc) - connected to exactly the same laptop - works a
dream & using it now!

So it is the same router connected to the same laptop without changing
any settings - works at one address but not the other.

Surely this is something to do with the line - I just don't understand
why ADSL modem works okay though.

Brent

In theory it should NOT work like that as the BBIP and CBUK numbers of a
broadband line are specific to a port in the exchange. That is, if you use
your login details on a friends broadband line it should NOT work. Are you
sure you are using your login details at home and not your friends? I
guess as the isp is the same something weird is going on here in allowing
you the connection at a different address.

If it were an issue with the line at home it is probable that the router
would not sync. It's either a case of it syncs with the exchnage = copper
line is ok, or it does not sync with the exchange and copper line is at
fault. Have you tried the BT test login on it at home?

BT Test Login
Username: [email protected]_domain
Password: anything as it's ignored
Number to dial 0,38 (If required)
Once connected and authenticated it will allow you to view one page only to
test connectivity. That page is http://www.bt.net/digitaldemo

If it will work with that the issue is your settings/account details.

It is important to answer these points to get help he
1) How are you connecting the router to the machine (RJ45 Patch lead?)
1) Can you access the routers admin page from your machine
2) Does the router sync up with the exchange

Without the answers to these questions nobody can help you much.

Old March 5th 06, 10:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alastair

wrote in message
m...
In theory it should NOT work like that as the BBIP and CBUK numbers of a
broadband line are specific to a port in the exchange. That is, if you use
your login details on a friends broadband line it should NOT work.

Very positive statement that - not correct though.

As long as a line is with the same ISP and has the correct realm attached
to it then the login will work. We always set up and test routers for our
clients by testing on one of our ADSL lines.

Old March 5th 06, 10:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 5 Mar 2006, "Brent" wrote:

Does router sync up with exchange - no

Probably a dumb question, but only because it has caught me out
(with a neighbour's setup)... does Toucan use both PPPoA and
PPPoE ?

When my neighbour returned from a holiday last summer his line had
been regraded to 2 Mbps but the (USB modem - yuk) would no longer
connect. Tried de-installing and re-installing the USB drivers but
plugged in a spare router and he was up and running again in minutes.

It was not clear if the USB unit was operating on PPoA or PPPoE -
one place said one, another of the settings suggested the other!

I don't even know if Toucan is using BT Wholesale, but assume so.
Old March 5th 06, 12:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Marc Durant

Brent wrote:

"Does router sync up with exchange - no"

In which case the line or filter is at fault. Simple as that. Some modem
blocks are a little more sensitive than others and that may explain why
the usb modem is happy to work.

Could be a fault with your internal wiring or filters. I would
disconnect all of your extensions and plug the router into the master
socket on a known good filter.

It's not unusual for a router or modem to work in the master socket and
fail in an extension 3 feet away. If all that is in order then there
must be some form of line issue that the router can't cope with whereas
the usb modem can.