A Subnetting/Wireless Access Problem

Old March 5th 06, 06:59 AM posted to comp.protocols.tcp-ip,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.tcp-ip,uk.comp.home-networking,alt.certification.network-plus
Laurence Baker

Default A Subnetting/Wireless Access Problem

Someone asked a question previously on a newsgroup which roughly went like
this.

I have a Cafe and I want to provide broadband access for my customers via my
wireless ADSL router. I also have a normal ethernet router through which I
run 3 computers.

I want to stop people accessing my network but still be able to use the
Internet via my wireless access point. Also, I need my 3 computers to be
able to access the Internet.

The solution by general consenus was to use a non-routable protocol on the
wired router, and connect the wired router to the wireless ADSL router
thereby automatically creating two subnets.

I'm a newbie to networking, but it through up a question that's been bugging
me for days. How do his 3 computers access the Internet if they are using a
non-routable protocol?

Laurence

Old March 5th 06, 11:47 AM posted to comp.protocols.tcp-ip,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.tcp-ip,uk.comp.home-networking,alt.certification.network-plus
nt

I am also a newbie to networking, but i would guess the 3 hardwired
computers would have to have a non routable protocol, such as NetBEUI
to connect to each other, but to access the internet they will also
have to TCP/IP installed, this is a routable protocol. File and printer
sharing will be turned on in NetBEUI, but off on TCP/IP

As I said, im also a newbie so i am possibly wrong?

Old March 5th 06, 09:19 PM posted to comp.protocols.tcp-ip,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.tcp-ip,uk.comp.home-networking,alt.certification.network-plus
Kurt

Well, you can't use a non-routable protocol on the router or it wouldn't be
able to route it.

Internet
| Your LAN
DSL Router - Wired Router
| (wired) WAP (Private)
Cafe Router

WAP (Public)

This setup will allow you complete separation between your private network
and the cafe Wireless. You can't have it both ways - cafe customers can
either access the network attached to the WAP or they can't - if you and
they can both connect, you are connected to each other. SOHO routers will
isolate because of the NAT (Network Address Translation) not provide
"outside-in" connections to be made. You'll need to secure your private WAP
so that cafe clients cannot connect. I'd actually suggest not having a WAP
on the private LAN, but plug your laptop in for local LAN access, and use
the cafe wireless just for Internet (being sure you have client for
microsoft networks and file and print sharing diabled on the wireless).

....kurt

Old March 7th 06, 11:24 PM posted to comp.protocols.tcp-ip,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.tcp-ip,uk.comp.home-networking,alt.certification.network-plus
Laurence Baker

Yes, as I said I am a newbie. And I've seen various solutions to this
problem. Kurt, your solution seems to make more sense. As you said you can't
have everything.

But, when I saw people suggesting a non-routable protocol to access the
internet, I thought, what!

Laurence

"Kurt" wrote in message

Well, you can't use a non-routable protocol on the router or it wouldn't
be able to route it.

Internet
| Your LAN
DSL Router - Wired Router