How long is BT Broadband IP lease?

Old March 5th 06, 07:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Laurence Baker

Default How long is BT Broadband IP lease?

I have a wireless ADSL modem which is on all the time. How often would my IP
address change if at all?

Laurence.

Old March 5th 06, 09:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian

Laurence Baker wrote:
I have a wireless ADSL modem which is on all the time. How often
would my IP address change if at all?

Laurence.

Ask your ISP, it's up to them.

Old March 5th 06, 12:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

Laurence Baker wrote:

I have a wireless ADSL modem which is on all the time. How often would my
IP address change if at all?

It will probably change every time your router disconnects and reconnects,
which may be a lot more often than you would think. Also, the chances are
your ISP gives you a random IP address every time you reconnect, so they
can charge you for a static IP.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
12:18:44 up 38 days, 16:37, 4 users, load average: 0.47, 0.74, 0.53

Old March 5th 06, 01:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 5 Mar 2006, "Laurence Baker" wrote:

I have a wireless ADSL modem which is on all the time.
How often would my IP address change if at all?

a) depends on the Isp as to how "sticky" the IP is. I've used at
least three ISPs with dynamic IP addresses, two were quite 'sticky'
(so if there was some glitch that caused my router to disconnect, it
went back on and was allocated the same IP at least 90% of times)

b) your router will presumably stay online for long periods, and it
should renew the lease itself, at intervals, without any change...

But again, how long your connection stays up depends on the
ISP quite a bit (eg how often they might do maintenance work so
the connection could be dropped frequently/infrequently)...

As one example, a friend in Dover has had his router powered up for
~90 days with only two new logins... his IP is static, but this is
just to demonstrate a connection may be 'up' for weeks at a time.

LOGIN #1 (router powered up)
2005-12-06 13:34:15 Received time from Time Server 129.6.15.29

2006-01-11 7:50:41 ATM Disconnected
2006-01-11 7:50:41 ADSL disconnected
LOGIN #2 (ISP /BT work ?)
2006-01-11 7:51:44 NAPT: many-to-one default session is up.
2006-01-11 7:51:44 PPP1 Session is up.
2006-02-25 23:43:48 PPP1 Session is down.
2006-02-25 23:43:48 NAT/NAPT Session Stop: VC# 0
LOGIN #3 (ISP /BT work ? probably his ISP: Metronet)
Old March 5th 06, 03:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
rd

Hi Folks,
"alexd" wrote in message ...
Laurence Baker wrote:

I have a wireless ADSL modem which is on all the time. How often would my
IP address change if at all?

It will probably change every time your router disconnects and reconnects,
which may be a lot more often than you would think. Also, the chances are
your ISP gives you a random IP address every time you reconnect, so they
can charge you for a static IP.

I've had my BTY ADSL link up for over a week at a time, and my IP addy has
remained the same..
The way to force a change is to alter one's login id/name and reconnect..
This
gives a new IP addy.. This is required now and then with BTY when their
DNS servers go potty with some IP addy ranges:-/

Regards,
Cliff

Old March 5th 06, 04:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 12:21:23 GMT, in uk.telecom.broadband , alexd
wrote:

Laurence Baker wrote:

I have a wireless ADSL modem which is on all the time. How often would my
IP address change if at all?

It will probably change every time your router disconnects and reconnects,
which may be a lot more often than you would think.

No particular reason why it should - DHCP by design prefers to
reassign the same IP - but if you disconnect for a long time then its
quite possible

Also, the chances are
your ISP gives you a random IP address every time you reconnect, so they
can charge you for a static IP.

For what its worth, ntl also don't provide static IPs, but the lease
is effectively eternal. I've had three or four re-IPing incidents in
three years, all due to network resegmentation.
Mark McIntyre
Old March 5th 06, 06:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nicola Redwood

"poster" wrote in message
[...]

BT dynamically assigned IP addresses are very sticky.

You need a disconnection of at least between 10 and 15 minutes these days to
force a different IP address. Just changing your login and reconnecting
will not instigate a change unless you are disconnected for long enough.

I was trying this on Friday, as there are some problems with some of the
ranges that are assigned by BT. Using gives a
different IP Address range to
apparently as well,
although I haven't tried this myself