Couple of n00b questions - please help :)

Old March 5th 06, 01:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Hellraiser

Default Couple of n00b questions - please help :)

Like the idea of not paying Teleworst 10.50/month, so am on the verge of
getting a Linksys PAP2 and migrating my phone requirements across to this. I
have a couple of questions though....

1) Can premium rate numbers be dialled with VoIP (09xxx numbers)? My wife
tends to enter a lot of these competitions you see on the telly and she'll
probably have me shot if this doesn't work

2) On a similar note, I tend to use Sky interactive a little and as the Sky
uses the PSTN to communicate with head office via 33.6k modem, will this
work over VoIP as well? Anyone got their sky box hooked up thru a PAP2 on
voip.co.uk or similar?

3) Who is the best/most reliable provider? They all seem to be much of a
muchness, but I ideally want one without a monthly charge who will do direct
debit, allow premium rate/modem calling, give me a geographical number and
be reliable for as little as possible

Thanks all

Hellraiser.............

Old March 5th 06, 04:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Hellraiser" wrote in
message
Like the idea of not paying Teleworst 10.50/month, so am
on the verge of getting a Linksys PAP2 and migrating my
phone requirements across to this. I have a couple of
questions though....
1) Can premium rate numbers be dialled with VoIP (09xxx
numbers)? My wife tends to enter a lot of these
competitions you see on the telly and she'll probably
have me shot if this doesn't work

As a general rule, no. Some providers may allow it but I don't know of any
offhand.

2) On a similar note, I tend to use Sky interactive a
little and as the Sky uses the PSTN to communicate with
head office via 33.6k modem, will this work over VoIP as
well? Anyone got their sky box hooked up thru a PAP2 on
voip.co.uk or similar?

Again, some people have reported problems with this. I personally wouldn't
touch $ky with a bargepole so I'm not really the best person to ask..!

3) Who is the best/most reliable provider? They all seem
to be much of a muchness, but I ideally want one without
a monthly charge who will do direct debit, allow premium
rate/modem calling, give me a geographical number and be
reliable for as little as possible

The $64,000 question..! Sipgate don't have a monthly charge but have had
reliability problems. Gradwell have a reputation for reliability, but
charge 4+VAT per month. I have no experience of any other providers so
you'll have to see what others say.

Ivor

Old March 5th 06, 07:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

I have the PAP2, a bit of a sod to setup, I am with sipdiscount only for a
couple of day now and no probs at all just free calls :-) at 1.70 per month
with free uk land lines :-)

Neil

Old March 5th 06, 09:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Sun, 5 Mar 2006 13:32:30 -0000, "Hellraiser"
wrote:

Like the idea of not paying Teleworst 10.50/month, so am on the verge of
getting a Linksys PAP2 and migrating my phone requirements across to this. I
have a couple of questions though....

1) Can premium rate numbers be dialled with VoIP (09xxx numbers)? My wife
tends to enter a lot of these competitions you see on the telly and she'll
probably have me shot if this doesn't work

Probably not. I think that you would have to make email enquiries to
operators in order to find out. However, I think that you might be
better pursuing landline companies that might route these numbers for
you, via a 'callthrough' and have a number that can be accessed from
voip - perhaps a standard geographic or an 08 number access.

2) On a similar note, I tend to use Sky interactive a little and as the Sky
uses the PSTN to communicate with head office via 33.6k modem, will this
work over VoIP as well? Anyone got their sky box hooked up thru a PAP2 on
voip.co.uk or similar?

It might work ....like fax might work. You won't know for sure until
you try it.

3) Who is the best/most reliable provider? They all seem to be much of a
muchness, but I ideally want one without a monthly charge who will do direct
debit, allow premium rate/modem calling, give me a geographical number and
be reliable for as little as possible

voipfone.co.uk - excelllent incoming services
voip.co.uk - excellent UK tariff.

You might be best advised to install your voip before burning your
boats with TW. That way you wil find whether there are ways of
accessing the numbers you require. You can have an unlimited number of
outgoing providers if you know how to configure your dial plan. You
are NOT limited to the provider you receive your calls from.

Other than this group check out google groups, for previous postings,
and voxilla.com for more information.

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old March 5th 06, 10:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Hellraiser

You might be best advised to install your voip before burning your
boats with TW. That way you wil find whether there are ways of
accessing the numbers you require. You can have an unlimited number of
outgoing providers if you know how to configure your dial plan. You
are NOT limited to the provider you receive your calls from.

Many thanks for the advice - I don't tend to use the landline much anyhow,
but will get my PAP2 first, unlock it then have a play

Cheers all

Hellraiser...............

Old March 5th 06, 10:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Sun, 5 Mar 2006 22:09:49 -0000, "Hellraiser"
wrote:

You might be best advised to install your voip before burning your
boats with TW. That way you wil find whether there are ways of
accessing the numbers you require. You can have an unlimited number of
outgoing providers if you know how to configure your dial plan. You
are NOT limited to the provider you receive your calls from.

Many thanks for the advice - I don't tend to use the landline much anyhow,
but will get my PAP2 first, unlock it then have a play

Er...the unlock it bit...have you done this before? If not I think the
safest way might be the spoof method...it can be risky mucking with
the firmware. There's lots written on the Net about it. Good Luck!
Let know how you got on...without being too specific.

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old March 6th 06, 11:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Mon, 06 Mar 2006 00:31:46 GMT, wrote:

On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 23:55:46 GMT, Brian A
wrote:

On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 23:41:06 GMT,
wrote:

On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 22:30:21 GMT, Brian A
wrote:

Er...the unlock it bit...have you done this before? If not I think the
safest way might be the spoof method...it can be risky mucking with
the firmware.
I think I have just unlocked mine all I think I need to get into the
admin it is a user name and password ! .

But that is the whole point...if you knew the username and password it
wouldn't be locked.

I do not think it is quite that simple I could not even get into it
before inputting some codes via the phone which I found on Google
and there are quite a number of people saying they have an unlocked
one and no one has even mentioned passwords or user names .
I have bought a unlocked one of ebay this afternoon and have been sent
the passwords nothing special just the same as for the Sipura's but
won't work on the one I have here .

You are quite right in that you do have to do an initial set up via
the phone. You have to set up your IP etc. so that you can get the web
interface to work. That applies equally to locked or unlocked.
However, if you get a locked one you won't get access to the admin
page or, quite often, be able to perform a factory reset, without the
appropriate password. For admin the username is admin - however, the
password remains secret for locked devices. You may be able spoof them
if you set up a DNS and then set up your own password that way. With
an unlocked device you should be able to get stright in without any
username or password. You usually set the password after. Linksys and
Sipura are one of the same. You can, for example, choose to buy a
Sipura SPA-3000 or a Linksys SPA-3000.
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old March 6th 06, 04:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tim Clark

In article ,
"Hellraiser" writes:
Like the idea of not paying Teleworst 10.50/month, so am on the verge of
getting a Linksys PAP2 and migrating my phone requirements across to this. I
have a couple of questions though....

1) Can premium rate numbers be dialled with VoIP (09xxx numbers)? My wife
tends to enter a lot of these competitions you see on the telly and she'll
probably have me shot if this doesn't work

A better idea is to implement Asterisk and terminate all calls to those
09xxx numbers with a local IVR application which reponds, "Thank you for
entering the competition, what is your answer?". It should then ask for
the caller's name, telephone number and address. From the money saved in
premium rate calls, you can afford to post a few pounds "winnings" to
your wife once in a while, and pocket the rest. Your wife will be well
pleased with all the money she's winning - unless she finds you out - in
which case make sure the numbers for Relate, NHS Direct, or your
solicitors do really work.

--
Tim Clark
Old March 6th 06, 06:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
DJ

In message , Tim Clark
writes
In article ,
"Hellraiser" writes:
[...]

Very Funny, I fell off my chair when I read that.
Nice to see someone with a sense of humour on here.

--
DJ