Can't get a wireless connection with my Belkin router

Old March 5th 06, 04:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Vince Deehan

Default Can't get a wireless connection with my Belkin router

Hello,

I am having trouble getting a wireless connection with my Belkin router,
Model F5D7632-4. I had an identical model before which worked well
wirelessly, until it suddenly stopped working after a few months. I now
have a replacement model.

My Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop recognises the Belkin router and when I
click on Connect under Wireless Network Connection, it appears to
connect and says the signal strength is excellent.

I have an ethernet cable attaching the PC and the router, though it
doesn't fit as well as the cable I had with the last model. The cable
doesn't have the RJ45 marking on it, but it does say "Patch cable". I
suspect this may be the wrong cable. However, I can connect to the
Internet fine when the cable is attached. It's only when I detach the
cable and attempt to go wireless that I am unable to get a connection.
Though my PC still reports that it can detect and connect to the router
and says the signal strength is excellent.

I tried the online Belkin help and they suggested I try and change the
channel number from the default setting of 11 and to try each channel
and see if this helps. It didn't help, unfortunately.

I know that the router is accessing the Internet as I can access the web
when the cable is connected. I am confused as to whether the fault lies
with my router or maybe my PC is now not able to work wirelessly. If the
ethernet cable I am using is the wrong kind, could this be causing the
problem? Is it possible that by putting the wrong plug into the PC's
ethernet cable socket that I could have damaged the PC and made it
unable to receive a wireless signal? The ethernet cable I was supplied
with is a rather tight fit in both the router's and PC's sockets and
doesn't feel quite right. Even if this cable is not quite right, how
would this explain the fact that everything works fine when the cable is
connected but then I get no Internet access when the cable is removed?

I hope someone can offer some ideas.

Thanks,

Vince Deehan

Old March 25th 06, 10:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Hi,
I saw your posting in google groups. I have a similar problem. Was
wondering if you found the solution to your problem? i have a netgear
router at home that works with my dell inspiron 6000 laptop. But when
i go to my brother's place where he has a belkin router even though it
says excellent connection , the internet connection doesnt work.
It works for all of my other friends laptops.,
I have a built in adapter in my laptop. I thought it was a problem with
my build in card. So i tried it with the belkin wireless adapter also.
Then also it doesnt work. i tried calling the dell customer support .
They couldnt do anything. They did the usual read from their notes
thing ,asked me to follow step by step procedure. But it doenst work
and said it might be a problem with the belkin router. I think this is
a problem with the laptop.

If you know of a solution it would be great if you could share it with
me.

Thanks,