codec

Old March 5th 06, 07:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Default codec

Is there a better codec to use, My linksys is set at G.711 (ulaw or alaw)
but i could use G.726 (32 kbps)

Would i notice any differance

Thanks

Neil

Old March 5th 06, 10:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Harry Broomhall

On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 18:59:32 GMT, "\)\)\)' Orange Peel '\(\(\("
wrote:

Is there a better codec to use, My linksys is set at G.711 (ulaw or alaw)
but i could use G.726 (32 kbps)

Would i notice any differance

Better in what way? G,711 is what the telcos use for normal lines,
and is uncompressed. Modems (internet and fax) work best through
G.711.

Regards,
Harry.

Old March 6th 06, 10:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Thomas Kenyon

wrote:

Is there a better codec to use, My linksys is set at G.711 (ulaw or alaw)
but i could use G.726 (32 kbps)

Would i notice any differance

Better in what way? G,711 is what the telcos use for normal lines,
and is uncompressed. Modems (internet and fax) work best through
G.711.

Regards,
Harry.

Whereas G.726 and G.729 use much less bandwidth, is a more efficient way
of transferring the calls, and uses much more runtime encoding,
decoding, transcoding. (whatever is happening along the route).

G.711 will only reliably work with a modem up to around 2400bps and
unreliably at up to 9600bps (whereas G.726/729 will not work at all).