Share extra PC with crossover cable

Old March 5th 06, 10:02 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
M Jones

Default Share extra PC with crossover cable

Hi all,

I already have 2 PC's connected wirelessly running in ad-hoc mode to share
files and internet access. I have aquired an extra PC with 30Gb of space
and I want to add it to my existing network with a crossover cable plugged
into my non-internet client PC.

The additional machine won't be used to do anything else but share fles.
Would it be possible to access files on the extra PC over my wireless LAN?
Would I be able to make the machine a part of my network?

Before I buy a crossover cable I would like to know for certan if it can be
done.

Thanks.

Old March 5th 06, 10:51 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Martin Underwood

M Jones wrote in
:

Hi all,

I already have 2 PC's connected wirelessly running in ad-hoc mode to
share files and internet access. I have aquired an extra PC with
30Gb of space and I want to add it to my existing network with a
crossover cable plugged into my non-internet client PC.

The additional machine won't be used to do anything else but share
fles. Would it be possible to access files on the extra PC over my
wireless LAN? Would I be able to make the machine a part of my
network?

Before I buy a crossover cable I would like to know for certan if it
can be done.

Let me check your setup:

- PC1 connected to internet (eg by dial-up or else USB broadband modem)

connected by Ad-Hoc wireless to...

- PC2 ["non-internet client PC"]

to be connected by crossover cable to...

- PC3

I *think* this would work. You say that PC3 will only be used for sharing
files - implying that you don't need it to access the internet.

Presumably you have given PC1's and PC2's wireless adaptors addresses in the
same subnet, eg 192.168.0.x. If you give the Ethernet adaptors in PC2 and
PC3 addresses in this subnet, then at least PC2 will be able to access
shares on both PC1 and PC3. However you'd need some way of passing traffic
between the wireless and Ethernet adaptors of PC2 to allow PC1 and PC3 to
access each other's shares. I wonder if Internet Connection Sharing on PC2
would work.

However I can't help wondering if a wireless router would be an easier
solution to allow all the PCs to access the internet and each other's
shares.

Old March 5th 06, 11:12 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
M Jones

"Martin Underwood" wrote in message
M Jones wrote in
:

[...]

Yes. You were right about my setup. The extra machine I have won't even
have a monitor connected. I will just switch it on and it will auto-login
allowing me to get files from it.

Would I have to "bridge" the wireless card and Ethernet card? If this is
the case then I will have to stop using ICS and use a proxy server instead
because windows won't allow bridging with a connection that presently uses
ICS.

Or i'm thinking it could be as simple as connecting the 2 PC's and
configuring the same IP and subnet. I've googled for a possible outcome but
I can't find anything.

Old March 5th 06, 11:48 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
[ste parker]

M Jones wrote:
Hi all,

I already have 2 PC's connected wirelessly running in ad-hoc mode to share
files and internet access. I have aquired an extra PC with 30Gb of space
and I want to add it to my existing network with a crossover cable plugged
into my non-internet client PC.

The additional machine won't be used to do anything else but share fles.
Would it be possible to access files on the extra PC over my wireless LAN?
Would I be able to make the machine a part of my network?

Before I buy a crossover cable I would like to know for certan if it can be
done.

If all you want is file access then why not just add the hard disk(s)
from the new PC to one of your other machines?

--
[ste]
"Throw me your matches 'cause I like to burn stuff"
Old March 6th 06, 10:03 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
M Jones

"[ste parker]" wrote in message
M Jones wrote:
Hi all,

I already have 2 PC's connected wirelessly running in ad-hoc mode to
share files and internet access. I have aquired an extra PC with 30Gb of
space and I want to add it to my existing network with a crossover cable
plugged into my non-internet client PC.

The additional machine won't be used to do anything else but share fles.
Would it be possible to access files on the extra PC over my wireless
LAN? Would I be able to make the machine a part of my network?

Before I buy a crossover cable I would like to know for certan if it can
be done.

If all you want is file access then why not just add the hard disk(s) from
the new PC to one of your other machines?

--
[ste]
"Throw me your matches 'cause I like to burn stuff"

The IDE slots on the machine I have are all taken. It seemed a waste to me
to chuck a machine away when I can utilize it and the space with just a
crossover cable.

Old March 7th 06, 08:20 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tim \(remove obvious\)

"M Jones" omREMOVE wrote
in message ...

"[ste parker]" wrote in message
M Jones wrote:
[...]

Your making this far too complicated and potentially un reliable. Either

a) Buy a wireless router and WiFi card for 'storage PC' allowing PC1 and PC2
to access it .Simple.
b) Buy a IDE / USB HDD enclosure and plug that into PC1 or 2, then share the
drive so its accessible from the other PC. - Cheaper than a) and less power
consumption.

Tim..

Old March 7th 06, 10:12 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
deKay

Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Tue, 7 Mar
2006 20:20:34 +0000 (UTC), sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do
uk.comp.home-networking, yawatina tan reek esk "Tim \(remove obvious\)"
fornis do marikano es bono tan el:

Your making this far too complicated and potentially un reliable. Either

a) Buy a wireless router and WiFi card for 'storage PC' allowing PC1 and PC2
to access it .Simple.
b) Buy a IDE / USB HDD enclosure and plug that into PC1 or 2, then share the
drive so its accessible from the other PC. - Cheaper than a) and less power
consumption.

b) also takes up less space, and is far faster (on the PC it's connected to)
too.

deKay
--
Lofi Gaming: www.lofi-gaming.org.uk [Gamertag: deKay 01]