BT beefs up broadband accross the UK

Old March 5th 06, 10:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
www.amstereofan.tk

Default BT beefs up broadband accross the UK

BT beefs up broadband accross the UK

Indiantelevision.com Team

(4 March 2006 7:00 pm)

MUMBAI: British Telecom (BT) confirmed the launch of new higher speed
wholesale broadband services across the UK, which will maximise the stable
line rates available on individual lines up to 8Mbit/s.

Following successful trials, BT confirmed that the BT ADSL Max and BT
ADSL Max Premium broadband services will be launched on a national basis
from 31 March this year. More than 5300 exchanges are being upgraded to
support higher speed broadband, with these exchanges serving more than 99.6
per cent of UK homes and businesses.

This development will allow people to obtain line rates of up to
8Mbit/s, enabling them to get more out of their broadband connection. The
ADSL broadband speed that can be supported on an individual line is governed
by a wide range of physical factors.

BT estimates that 78 per cent of BT phone lines should support
broadband at line rates of 4Mbit/s and above, with 6Mbit/s and above
available to more than 42 per cent. For those living or working close to
their local telephone exchange, line rates of up to the maximum 8Mbit/s
should be achievable.

In upgrading more than 5300 exchanges across the UK to support higher
speed broadband services, BT is creating the largest geographic footprint
possible for higher speed broadband.

This furthers BT's commitment to making broadband available to
everybody, in towns, cities and rural areas. UK service providers will have
the option to provide higher speed broadband services to their customers
almost wherever they happen to live or work.

BT Wholesale chief executive Paul Reynolds said, "Thanks to BT's
continued investment in the broadband network, the UK now boasts the highest
level of broadband availability in the G8. We're now building on those
efforts in becoming the first operator in the UK to commit to a national
service which is capable of broadband speeds of up to 8Mbit/s."

"Our approach in getting the most out of ADSL technology means we get
higher speeds to a national footprint as quickly as possible - making sure
the opportunities are not just restricted to the urban centres, nor those
service providers who operate their own networks. It also provides service
providers with the biggest potential market for applications and services
demanding higher speeds," he added.

In addition to faster speeds, BT has deployed new technology to better
manage the line stability and customer experience. Higher speed and more
reliable broadband services will help ensure that people can run more
bandwidth hungry applications, including video, gaming and music downloads
at the same time, as well as email and surfing the web. By enhancing
broadband throughput, BT ADSL Max will also provide users with greater
quality of service for streamed content delivered over broadband, such as
video downloads.

The ADSL broadband speed that can be supported on an individual line
is dependent on a range of factors, including the length and gauge of the
line from the exchange, the number and quality of joints, electromagnetic
noise from other lines in a cable or wiring within a customer's premises,
and the modems used.

While the faster broadband speeds will be available to service
providers for new orders from 31 March, it will take several months to
regrade the total existing end user customer base that service providers
wish to be regraded to ADSL Max services. Plans relating to bulk regrades to
Max services are being discussed with service providers on an ongoing basis.

BT's line checker at www.bt.com/broadband is being updated to show the
expected speeds available for individual lines. This will be available for
all exchanges upgraded for the ADSL Max products from 31 March, with those
exchanges involved in the trials already showing the expected speeds
possible.

Old March 5th 06, 10:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rob

"www.amstereofan.tk" wrote in message
BT beefs up broadband accross the UK

In addition to faster speeds, BT has deployed new technology to

better
manage the line stability and customer experience. Higher speed and more
reliable broadband services will help ensure that people can run more
bandwidth hungry applications, including video, gaming and music downloads
at the same time, as well as email and surfing the web. By enhancing
broadband throughput, BT ADSL Max will also provide users with greater
quality of service for streamed content delivered over broadband, such as
video downloads.

Someone forgot to mention all the caps........
How can anyone take advantage of faster broadband, gaming, music downloads,
video and bandwidth hungry applications here in the UK when we are all
capped and buggered by 'Fair Use' bull****? Are the caps going to be
removed???

Rob

Old March 6th 06, 12:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
_

"Rob" wrote in message

[...]

I'm totally uncapped with my 2mb con and expect to be with my up to 8mb
con... must be in the minority then

Old March 6th 06, 12:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Flying Rat

In article , _ says...
I'm totally uncapped with my 2mb con and expect to be with my up to 8mb
con... must be in the minority then

Uncapped 8Mbps will cost you a lot more then. Because of BT's charging
policy an 8Mbps uncapped line is going to work out a hell of a lot more
expensive than a 2 meg one.

FR
Old March 6th 06, 06:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 6 Mar 2006 00:27, Flying Rat wrote:

Uncapped 8Mbps will cost you a lot more then. Because of BT's charging
policy an 8Mbps uncapped line is going to work out a hell of a lot more
expensive than a 2 meg one.

Only if the user is using a BT-supplied 8000 kbps. It would make more
sense if "_" clarified which ISP s/he is with (Exclipse ?). so we can
see if they (later on) add some 'Fair Use' policy or a cap/"included"
traffic quota (so while uncapped, there may be some allowance
above which costs could become quite high for the heaviest
use - rightly so, of course (!)
Old March 6th 06, 08:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Moffatt

On 2006-03-05 22:02:30 +0000, "www.amstereofan.tk" said:

MUMBAI: British Telecom (BT) confirmed the launch of new higher
speed wholesale broadband services across the UK, which will maximise
the stable line rates available on individual lines up to 8Mbit/s.

Following successful trials, BT confirmed that the BT ADSL Max
and BT ADSL Max Premium broadband services will be launched on a
national basis from 31 March this year. More than 5300 exchanges are
being upgraded to support higher speed broadband, with these exchanges
serving more than 99.6 per cent of UK homes and businesses.

This is wonderful news!

It must mean the BT have solved the problems that have stopped me
having more than 1MB because the 200pr UG cable from PCP to DP's on the
estate is ropey. The line length is OK they tell me, so that's alright
then.

I jumped ship from 2MB NTL (admittedly it dropped quite often) because
BT offered an employee discount and promise of higher speeds

Luckily for me I don't do that much heavy downloading, apart from
upgrades/trials. I don't watch loads of movie trailers or pirate films.
iTunes downloads fast enough for music that I buy and I don't do online
gaming

Good job really - I'd be stuffed otherwise

Rant over ;-)

Ian
--
http://homepage.mac.com/ianmoff
Find a better way of life - www.marillion.com

Old March 6th 06, 08:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tester

On Sun, 5 Mar 2006 22:49:02 -0000, "Rob" wrote:

[...]

Friends in the USA have uncapped fast cable bringing down 900GB/month
cheaper than we get from BT (not sure why they need that much, but
they can), people in asia get similar deals, a friend in Sweden has
24Mb uncapped for $25 USD / month - in the UK, we get BT extortionists
getting faster and faster but lower caps all the damn time.

Many home large downloaders do not get anywhere near the possibilty of
what 2Mb/s offers (in terms of monthly downloads), now light users
will start to bring more down with faster connections and streaming
media (mostly all bull promo's that companies want us to watch /
listen / stuff they should pay us to watch/listen to) - so the masses
will start to d/l more.

Bloody BT - holding back the UK because of charges to other ISP's -
always in the UK we are ripped off.
Old March 6th 06, 08:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Mon, 6 Mar 2006 08:27:28 UTC, tester wrote:

Friends in the USA have uncapped fast cable bringing down 900GB/month
cheaper than we get from BT

That may be true, but they are lucky. In any given area, there is little
choice of provider.

euthanasia recommended. ]
Old March 6th 06, 11:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

Ian Moffatt wrote:
This is wonderful news!

It must mean the BT have solved the problems that have stopped me
having more than 1MB because the 200pr UG cable from PCP to DP's on
the estate is ropey. The line length is OK they tell me, so that's
alright then.

From what I understand, BT is relaxing the limits that have put on users
lines. So for example, the practical limit on my line at the moment is
512KB/sec service. That is what BT have limited my line to. In theory, my
line should be capable of more (a recent online test says possibly 2.5mb)
but BT have put on safe limits to avoid potential problems.
So what we will have now is the Max DSL, which will allow the user to have
the maximum available for their line.
Someone posted a link in here the other day for a test online you can do for
the approximately speed your line should be capable of.

Old March 6th 06, 11:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

Beck wrote:
Ian Moffatt wrote:
This is wonderful news!

It must mean the BT have solved the problems that have stopped me
having more than 1MB because the 200pr UG cable from PCP to DP's on
the estate is ropey. The line length is OK they tell me, so that's
alright then.

From what I understand, BT is relaxing the limits that have put on
users lines. So for example, the practical limit on my line at the
moment is 512KB/sec service. That is what BT have limited my line
to. In theory, my line should be capable of more (a recent online
test says possibly 2.5mb) but BT have put on safe limits to avoid
potential problems. So what we will have now is the Max DSL, which will
allow the user to
have the maximum available for their line.
Someone posted a link in here the other day for a test online you can
do for the approximately speed your line should be capable of.

Found it
http://212.23.23.177/calc.htm