Simple QoS

Old March 5th 06, 09:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Matt

Default Simple QoS

Hi,

One of of Asterisk Extensions is on the end of a wireless link.

It all works fine, unless one of the users at that end us
upload/downloading a file to/from the server.

What is the easiest way of putting QoS on the connection to retain a
bit of bandwidth for voice calls?

I've looked into setting up an old pc, with one of the linux routers,
but I don't have enough spare pc's or the space!

Please can someone suggest some reasonably priced bit of hardware to do
the job?

Many thanks

Matthew

Old March 5th 06, 09:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

"Matt" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

One of of Asterisk Extensions is on the end of a wireless link.

It all works fine, unless one of the users at that end us
upload/downloading a file to/from the server.

What is the easiest way of putting QoS on the connection to retain a
bit of bandwidth for voice calls?

I've looked into setting up an old pc, with one of the linux routers,
but I don't have enough spare pc's or the space!

Please can someone suggest some reasonably priced bit of hardware to do
the job?

Many thanks

Matthew

Now then, is it QoS at the remote end or the server end you need?

Old March 5th 06, 09:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Matt

Hi Jon,

To be honest, I'm not quite sure!

The remote users use the link to access the servers etc so need to
limit traffic from them...

but...

They have the fastest internet connection at their end, so other users
us the link to access the web etc etc. So I need to limit going that
way as well!

So I think I need QoS at both ends?

Not really sure what I need, bit thats what I need to achieve!

Cheers

Matt

Old March 5th 06, 10:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

"Matt" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi Jon,

To be honest, I'm not quite sure!

The remote users use the link to access the servers etc so need to
limit traffic from them...

but...

They have the fastest internet connection at their end, so other users
us the link to access the web etc etc. So I need to limit going that
way as well!

So I think I need QoS at both ends?

Not really sure what I need, bit thats what I need to achieve!

Cheers

Matt

If you had a QoS router at the server end, or a WiFi Router with QoS, you
can give priority by MAC address, or protocol - AFAIK MAC addy priority
works best.

I've recently added a Linksys WRT54G and put on it the DD-WRT (Voip)
firmware & works a treat.

Old March 6th 06, 10:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
alexd

Matt wrote:

Hi,

One of of Asterisk Extensions is on the end of a wireless link.

It all works fine, unless one of the users at that end us
upload/downloading a file to/from the server.

What is the easiest way of putting QoS on the connection to retain a
bit of bandwidth for voice calls?

I've looked into setting up an old pc, with one of the linux routers,
but I don't have enough spare pc's or the space!

Please can someone suggest some reasonably priced bit of hardware to do
the job?

A small and cheap linux box - Linksys WRT54G(L) springs to mind. And once
you have your linux box, the Wondershaper is a good script for traffic
shaping.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
22:23:36 up 40 days, 2:42, 3 users, load average: 0.03, 0.09, 0.08

Old March 7th 06, 01:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Richard Smith

Matt wrote:
snip

From what you've explained, the QoS rules you are going to need to

setup are going to be a little complicated.

First of all, QoS only works on egress (traffic going out). You can
implement ingress (traffic coming in) filters, but they don't stop the
traffic that's already flowing over the wire to you.

For egress traffic, you're basically going to need to implement
something that operates on specific rules to manipulate UDP traffic
to/from the server.

http://lartc.org holds documentation on how to do this, but as I
mentioned before, you're still going to have problems if users are
uploading to the server while calls are in progress.

I would probably look at hosting asterisk and any services on a remote
server and running your operations from there, it is going to be REALLY
difficult to implement traffic shaping on any connection where you
cannot control the traffic traversing the link, unless you can convince
your provider to implement some QoS rules.

--
Rich

Old March 10th 06, 02:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Richard Smith

Matt wrote:
Please can someone suggest some reasonably priced bit of hardware to do
the job?

Did a bit of research last night... Cisco 1700s are reasonably cheap
since they've been EOLd by cisco... (

Ebay have a few when I last checked, also check the likes of net-sol
computer-computer and other network hardware grey-retailers...

If you ask a retailer nicely too you can get extra memory/cfcard for
them...

You can then use the cisco to guarantee a certain amount of bandwidth
is available. I can provide configuration examples if you want

~ Rich