Cloning a MAC from PC to Router for cable?

Old March 5th 06, 10:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Terry

Default Cloning a MAC from PC to Router for cable?

I wnder if anyone could help with this one. I am trying to help friend of
mine who is with NTL (Cable), and he wants to go wireless. He has been
advised that the easiest way of configuring the system would be to clone the
MAC address (from his computer) to the router, to avoid aving to contact
NTL. If this is the way to go about it, and he uses the MAC from the
computer in his router, what MAC does he then use in the computer? He
surely can't continue using the same MAC in both the router and the computer
can he?. I ask the question because he wants to continue using the wired
connection for his main computer and just give wireless access to laptops
around the house. How does he sort this one out?

Thanks a lot.

Old March 5th 06, 10:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Terry wrote:
I wnder if anyone could help with this one. I am trying to help
friend of mine who is with NTL (Cable), and he wants to go
wireless. He has been advised that the easiest way of configuring
the system would be to clone the MAC address (from his computer) to
the router, to avoid aving to contact NTL. If this is the way to
go about it, and he uses the MAC from the computer in his router,
what MAC does he then use in the computer? He surely can't
continue using the same MAC in both the router and the computer can
he?. I ask the question because he wants to continue using the
wired connection for his main computer and just give wireless
access to laptops around the house. How does he sort this one out?

Thanks a lot.

The easiest way would be to turn everything off & go to bed. Next
morning reconfigure your network then turn on your CM let that lock on
& settle down then turn on your router then turn on your pc. It is as
easy as that, you do not need to clone anything.

The time scale for turning off the Cable modem could be a lot shorter,
but the way I did it was that above & it worked like a charm first
time & when I changed routers it worked again in a similar fashion...

Old March 5th 06, 11:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Robert Pillson

"kráftéé" [email protected] you know what'sgoodforu.pus.com
wrote in message ...
Terry wrote:
[...]

So is there definitely no need to clone the MAC from your PC? Why do many
people say you have to re-register with NTL if they see a new MAC address
linked to the Cable Modem? Is it all complete rubbish? I can't comment, as
I'm not in a cable area and have no first hand experience of setting up NTL
cable internet for wireless.....

Robert

Old March 5th 06, 11:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Terry wrote:
[...]

Teleworst used to have this condition/scenario, but to my knowledge
NTL have never had this on their service. The only MAC they are
interested in is the MAC of the Cable Modem which you do have to
register...

Old March 6th 06, 12:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Flyer

"Terry" wrote in message
I wnder if anyone could help with this one. I am trying to help friend of
mine who is with NTL (Cable), and he wants to go wireless. He has been
advised that the easiest way of configuring the system would be to clone
the
MAC address (from his computer) to the router, to avoid aving to contact
NTL. If this is the way to go about it, and he uses the MAC from the
computer in his router, what MAC does he then use in the computer? He
surely can't continue using the same MAC in both the router and the
computer
can he?. I ask the question because he wants to continue using the wired
connection for his main computer and just give wireless access to laptops
around the house. How does he sort this one out?

don't worry about it, it works ;-) You may not need to clone the MAC address
anyway, check out kraftee's message. If all else fails, google for for Robin
Walkers website, it deals with all things cable dsl related, and is an
excellent resource.

P.

Old March 6th 06, 12:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian

wrote in message
Terry wrote:
[...]

If you are with NTL and use the connection on the back of the TV box you
need to register each computer you have, or each router. A setup screen
appears asking for the codes supplied on the letter NTL sent out when a
customer registered. Some routers will allow the cloning of the computer
MAC address to avoid all the messing about, it will assume the identity of
the computer and fool the box. Belkin have this feature, no idea about
others.
The person who said he was asking for "his friend" (doesn't everyone now)
should direct him to the NTL website, it is all covered. If he doesn't know
then it would be better directing the "friend" to this newsgroup and we can
all give him direct advice to save confusion.

Old March 6th 06, 07:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Flyer

wrote in message ...
Robert Pillson wrote:

So is there definitely no need to clone the MAC from your PC? Why
do many people say you have to re-register with NTL if they see a
new MAC address linked to the Cable Modem? Is it all complete
rubbish? I can't comment, as I'm not in a cable area and have no
first hand experience of setting up NTL cable internet for
wireless.....

Robert

Teleworst used to have this condition/scenario, but to my knowledge NTL
have never had this on their service. The only MAC they are interested in
is the MAC of the Cable Modem which you do have to register...

not true, NTL did have this, but it was usually only associated with
broadband supplied via the set-top box, not a modem. I remember having to do
it when I first got my Netgear router for my NTL connection. I had to do it
again when I replaced it with a wireless router.

P.

Old March 6th 06, 08:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Terry

"Ian" wrote in message

The person who said he was asking for "his friend" (doesn't everyone now)
should direct him to the NTL website, it is all covered. If he doesn't

know
then it would be better directing the "friend" to this newsgroup and we

can
all give him direct advice to save confusion.

I told my friend to ask in here, but he doesn't even know how to set up a
newsgroup or even how to post...
He only uses his connection to browse the net (mosty for collecting work
email) His kids use it mostly, but they don't know anything either apart
from playing games : (

So he asked me to post for him. Where is the problem with that? Have you
never tried to help a mate out?

Terry

Old March 6th 06, 09:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Terry

"Flyer" wrote in message

"Terry" wrote in message
I wnder if anyone could help with this one. I am trying to help friend

of
mine who is with NTL (Cable), and he wants to go wireless. He has been
advised that the easiest way of configuring the system would be to clone
the
MAC address (from his computer) to the router, to avoid aving to contact
NTL. If this is the way to go about it, and he uses the MAC from the
computer in his router, what MAC does he then use in the computer? He
surely can't continue using the same MAC in both the router and the
computer
can he?. I ask the question because he wants to continue using the

wired
connection for his main computer and just give wireless access to

laptops
around the house. How does he sort this one out?

don't worry about it, it works ;-)

Well we have found it doesn't work (up to now) with the Netgear WGR614v6

When we try adding an IP reservation for the desktop pc (thats the original
computer that was connected to the set top box to start with), it won't
allow us to add the MAC address of the PCs network card, as it is the same
MAC adress that the netgear router is now using to make the set top box talk
to it....

Does this mean we now need a new LAN card in the original PC? Or can
software be used to change the MAC of the Desktop PC to a new one??

Old March 6th 06, 09:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 6 Mar 2006 08:12, "Terry" wrote:

I told my friend to ask in here, but he doesn't even know how to set up a
newsgroup or even how to post...

It appears (from times when I have picked up magazines in the last few
years) that newsgroups are not mentioned too often in the magazine
"Intro to the 'Net" articles... Howver, if you/he areusing Win XP, it
might be worth trying www.logmein.com to allow (with his permission,
of course) you to remote contro his PC and thus demostrate or set up
an application / news access.

So he asked me to post for him. Where is the problem with that? Have you
never tried to help a mate out?

I have no problem with you posting to help out a friend, and I've
asked in various groups obo friends who have no knowledge of
newsgroups or (more likely) no internet access (on matters other
than PCs/internet). It seems overly suspicious or petty to me. At
least your query is not 'off topic' like browser / other queries that
sometimes end up here like nowhere better exists for such posts!!
--

UK ADSL http://tinyurl.com/dghgq - Happy to save cash with Plus.Net!!