Broadband recommendation

Old March 5th 06, 11:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ScoobyDoo

Default Broadband recommendation

I'm looking for a basic broadband for a friend, just need a few personal
recommendations for the shortlist.

Criteria is as follows:
1) must work on BT line
2) will stay with BT
3) would prefer to pay a few quid extra and get unlimited broadband (1 MB
line in sufficient)

Any recomendations most welcome, thanks.

Old March 5th 06, 11:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Parker

#include

I'm looking for a basic broadband for a friend, just need a few personal
recommendations for the shortlist.

Criteria is as follows:
1) must work on BT line
2) will stay with BT
3) would prefer to pay a few quid extra and get unlimited broadband (1 MB
line in sufficient)

Any recomendations most welcome, thanks.

I apologise if this seems like a thread hijack, but I would be
interested in the same but also with:

No ports blocked, I run my own web server and will shortly be running
my own mail server.

Static IP(s)

Wires only

Rich
--
Richard Parker

Half-dead cat found in box - RSCPA seeks Austrian scientist
Old March 6th 06, 12:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Hewitt

Richard Parker wrote:

#include

I'm looking for a basic broadband for a friend, just need a few personal
recommendations for the shortlist.

Criteria is as follows:
1) must work on BT line
2) will stay with BT
3) would prefer to pay a few quid extra and get unlimited broadband (1 MB
line in sufficient)

Any recomendations most welcome, thanks.

I apologise if this seems like a thread hijack, but I would be
interested in the same but also with:

No ports blocked, I run my own web server and will shortly be running
my own mail server.

Static IP(s)

Wires only

Eclipse. I went with them last October, and they have been superb. They
do all that you need above. I actually use their 17.99 Flex 500
package, which gives me unlimited use at 512k, no ports blocked, no
bandwidth shaping, you can also have a few fixed IPs as well.

As far as running a home web server goes, it doesn't matter what speed
you choose as the BT lines only have 256k upload speed anyway. For most
of the time the 512k with Eclipse is adequate too, I often see peaks of
over 100k/s.

If you do need extra speed you can just buy a few hours up to 2Mb/s for
a few pence (currently at 5p/hr).

They do give you an email address with webmail too, although I use
Googlemail now. They only give you 15MB of web space, but that wasn't an
issue, as my web sites now run into 3 figured sizes.

http://www.eclipse.net.uk/index.cfm?id=home_res

--
Andy Hewitt ** FAF#1, (Ex-OSOS#5) - FJ1200 ABS
Windows free zone (Mac G5 Dual Processor)
Old March 6th 06, 01:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Parker

#include

Thanks for that!
--
Richard Parker

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades
Old March 6th 06, 01:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Flying Rat

In article , Richard Parker
says...
#include

Thanks for that!

I'd go with Eclipse as well. Extremely happy with the service.

there's a choice of services and prices as well, plus everything
mentioned. A decent Usenet service as well supplied by Giganews!

Fixed IPs are not chargeable either up to (IIRC) five.

FR
Old March 6th 06, 02:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jan Larsen

Richard Parker wrote:
#include

I'm looking for a basic broadband for a friend, just need a few personal
recommendations for the shortlist.

Criteria is as follows:
1) must work on BT line
2) will stay with BT
3) would prefer to pay a few quid extra and get unlimited broadband (1 MB
line in sufficient)

Any recomendations most welcome, thanks.

I apologise if this seems like a thread hijack, but I would be
interested in the same but also with:

No ports blocked, I run my own web server and will shortly be running
my own mail server.

Static IP(s)

Wires only

Rich

Zen, because they live up to all the criteria and their network is, in
lack of a better description, "The shiznit fo shizzle!"

Price is a bit tall but well worth it.

// J
Old March 6th 06, 02:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kevin bailey

ScoobyDoo wrote:

I'm looking for a basic broadband for a friend, just need a few personal
recommendations for the shortlist.

Criteria is as follows:
1) must work on BT line
2) will stay with BT
3) would prefer to pay a few quid extra and get unlimited broadband (1 MB
line in sufficient)

Any recomendations most welcome, thanks.

i see a couple of people have recommended eclipse but i'd be wary of them -
have heard of problems with the connection and then problems getting hold
of support.

demon get my recommendation as having been pretty much problem free and the
support has been excellent.

one difference i remember is that eclipse never report any network status
issues on their website whereas demon are better at keeping up-to-date.

kev
Old March 6th 06, 06:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jan Larsen

Jan Larsen wrote:
Zen, because they live up to all the criteria and their network is, in
lack of a better description, "The shiznit fo shizzle!"

Price is a bit tall but well worth it.

I just read the news letter I got 5 days ago and I take that statement
back, Zen have now introduced cap on their new 8Mb product and canned
everything but the 250Kb unlimited product

Fortunately I get to keep my 2Mb line uncapped.

I know asking for 8Meg uncapped is like asking for a free lunch,
especially in a country where the comms infrastucture in general is a
bit of a relic. But it still blows.

// J
Old March 6th 06, 08:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Hewitt

kevin bailey wrote:

ScoobyDoo wrote:

I'm looking for a basic broadband for a friend, just need a few personal
recommendations for the shortlist.

Criteria is as follows:
1) must work on BT line
2) will stay with BT
3) would prefer to pay a few quid extra and get unlimited broadband (1 MB
line in sufficient)

Any recomendations most welcome, thanks.

i see a couple of people have recommended eclipse but i'd be wary of them -
have heard of problems with the connection and then problems getting hold
of support.

I have contacted them a couple of times, but had fast responses from
them.

demon get my recommendation as having been pretty much problem free and the
support has been excellent.

And yet I've heard bad things too.

one difference i remember is that eclipse never report any network status
issues on their website whereas demon are better at keeping up-to-date.

Not at all, they had an outage last year (which was BT's fault), and
their status page was just about on the ball.

I was recommended Eclipse by a chap that does systems admin for some
clients, and uses Eclipse because their support and service is good.

You won't please all the people all the time :-), and you'll need to
weigh up the cost against the service you need at some point. I can
remember when PlusNet were raved about at being the best ISP there was,
now look at them. Same with UK Online, and many others. I actually had
very good service from NTL and Wanadoo.

I'm sure if you look around and ask enough people you will find a
complaint about any ISP that is rated well, and you'll find happy people
that have used the crap ones.

Old March 7th 06, 01:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alastair

Andy Hewitt wrote:
kevin bailey wrote:

ScoobyDoo wrote:

[...]

For my money i would use Freedom to surf
i have used them for a year now and had little difficulties
intial probs at first connection (caused by BT)
since then i have enjoyed an unlimited 2mg connection
(cant get 8 meg yet BT again exchange not ready )
with very few problems.
when i did have any problems i got in contact with the tech support
without difficulties and they got me sorted as quick as they could.