Voip Learning and Translating Tutorial

Old March 6th 06, 04:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
voiptutorial

Default Voip Learning and Translating Tutorial

Voip Learning and Translating Tutorial
Voice Over IP is a new communication means that let you telephone with
Internet at almost null cost.
How this is possible, what systems are used, what is the standard, all
that is covered by this basic and advanced Howto.

http://www.freewebs.com/voipformula/VoIP-HOWTO.html

Old March 7th 06, 02:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Richard Smith

voiptutorial wrote:
Voip Learning and Translating Tutorial
Voice Over IP is a new communication means that let you telephone with
Internet at almost null cost.
How this is possible, what systems are used, what is the standard, all
that is covered by this basic and advanced Howto.

snip

I glanced over this and I have a few observations.

"...almost null cost." is not strictly true. The is always a cost, be
it bandwidth, actual call cost or connection fees, time etc. I could go
on forever.

The SIP Protocol is not mentioned anywhere. This is a major oversight
in my opinion, since h.323 is slowly being depreciated in favour of the
more extensible, simpler SIP protocol. To base a tutorial on h.323 is
pointless really considering how difficult it is to find a h.323
consumer handset, how difficult it is to understand the h.323 protocol
(I've been working with telecoms now for a good 6+ years, and voip for
5ish and *I* barely understand that monstrosity of a protocol).

No mention of USB Handsets. No mention of skype.

To me it appears as if someone has copy/pasted and not actually
bothered reading what's been posted. ISA cards? I mean come on! Dude! I
don't even HAVE an ISA slot in my PC anymore!

Yet another example of "Go home and try again."

~ Rich

Old March 7th 06, 10:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Thomas Sandford

"Richard Smith" wrote in message
oups.com...
voiptutorial wrote:
Voip Learning and Translating Tutorial
Voice Over IP is a new communication means that let you telephone with
Internet at almost null cost.
How this is possible, what systems are used, what is the standard, all
that is covered by this basic and advanced Howto.

snip

I glanced over this and I have a few observations.
Yet another example of "Go home and try again."

He collects material from other VOIP sites (without crediting the original
authors), then spams newsgroups with his "look at my site" messages. It's
generally been assumed that he does it to pull in advertising revenue.

The authors of asterfax got quite annoyed when he "announced" the release of
Asterfax 1.0b5 with a pointer to his site.

http://groups.google.com/group/uk.te...440a06958040eb

--
Thomas Sandford

Old March 7th 06, 04:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Richard Smith

Thomas Sandford wrote:
He collects material from other VOIP sites (without crediting the original
authors), then spams newsgroups with his "look at my site" messages. It's
generally been assumed that he does it to pull in advertising revenue.

The authors of asterfax got quite annoyed when he "announced" the release of
Asterfax 1.0b5 with a pointer to his site.

http://groups.google.com/group/uk.te...440a06958040eb

Peon.

That's the only word that comes to mind.

--
Rich

Old March 7th 06, 09:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

On 6 Mar 2006 18:04:01 -0800, "Richard Smith"
wrote:

I glanced over this and I have a few observations.

You will have noticed that his site is entirely made of stolen stuff
written by other people, taken without permission. It is entirely
surrounded by Google ads, and it just a scam.

Whatever you do, don't click the Google ads. Best report this fraud to
Google.