2nd network card and router question

Old March 6th 06, 11:18 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
jkf

Default 2nd network card and router question

I have ntl 1mb broadband, this I share with my sons computer via a cross
over cable. modem connected to my pc by usb. at present I only have one
network card, is it possible to install another network card in my pc and
therefore do away with the usb connection or will this cause problems?

I also have a adsl router (billion BIPAC-741 CA) but this too is causing me
head aches, I can see files on my sons computer but can not get internet
connection on either machine. I think this is down to something I am doing
wrong lol. from modem to router a CAT 5 CABLE, from router too PC a CAT 5E
cable and CAT 5E from router to my sons PC.

sorry for all the questions, but tried searching for help on this matter
with no joy, if anyone could other some help it would be appreciated.

thanks in advance

JKF

Old March 6th 06, 11:33 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

jkf wrote:
I have ntl 1mb broadband, this I share with my sons computer via a cross
over cable. modem connected to my pc by usb. at present I only have one
network card, is it possible to install another network card in my pc and
therefore do away with the usb connection or will this cause problems?

You won't need two network cards unless you're doing something very
complicated. You just need a hub/switch (or use your Billion router,
below) and plug both computers and the ADSL modem into it, then they
will all be able to 'see' each other. It will give the additional
advantage that your computer will not need to be turned on for your
son's to be able to acces the internet. This assumes your ADSL modem
has an ethernet interface as well as USB. Whatever, I'd get rid of
the ADSL USB modem completely and just use the ADSL router - see
below.

I also have a adsl router (billion BIPAC-741 CA) but this too is causing me
head aches, I can see files on my sons computer but can not get internet
connection on either machine. I think this is down to something I am doing
wrong lol. from modem to router a CAT 5 CABLE, from router too PC a CAT 5E
cable and CAT 5E from router to my sons PC.

Are you trying to use the router *instead* of the modem? This is what
you should be doing and it will then do everything you want (if I'm
understanding you right).

You don't need the ADSL modem *and* the router. Disconnect the ADSL
modem completely from the phone line and the computer. Connect the
Billion ADSL router to the phone line, set it up with your ISP's
login, password, etc. and everything should be as you want.

--
Chris Green

Old March 6th 06, 11:42 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

In article
jkf wrote:
I have ntl 1mb broadband, this I share with my sons computer via a cross
over cable. modem connected to my pc by usb. at present I only have one
network card, is it possible to install another network card in my pc and
therefore do away with the usb connection or will this cause problems?

None at all - just let the modem-connected NIC get its address from the
modem via DHCP, and set the LAN NICs with static addresses (192.168.0.1,
192.168.0.2). Windows ICS will work as before (although you'll need to
tell it to use the new NIC instead of the USB connection).

I also have a adsl router (billion BIPAC-741 CA) but this too is causing me
head aches, I can see files on my sons computer but can not get internet
connection on either machine. I think this is down to something I am doing
wrong lol.

Like trying to plug an ADSL modem into a cable connection? Or does ntl
do ADSL now?
Old March 6th 06, 11:44 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

In article
Rob Morley wrote:
In article
jkf wrote:
I have ntl 1mb broadband, this I share with my sons computer via a cross
over cable. modem connected to my pc by usb. at present I only have one
network card, is it possible to install another network card in my pc and
therefore do away with the usb connection or will this cause problems?

None at all - just let the modem-connected NIC get its address from the
modem via DHCP, and set the LAN NICs with static addresses (192.168.0.1,
192.168.0.2).

Scratch that (not enough coffee yet) - as you're using ICS you'll need
to use DHCP for the LAN addresses in the normal way.
Old March 6th 06, 12:33 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Trev

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
t...
In article
jkf wrote:
[...]

They do in some areas But that is the question does he have ADSL or cable
some of the cable modems have both Ethernet and USB so it could well be
cable

Old March 6th 06, 12:39 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

In article [email protected]
wrote:
jkf wrote:
I have ntl 1mb broadband, this I share with my sons computer via a cross
over cable. modem connected to my pc by usb. at present I only have one
network card, is it possible to install another network card in my pc and
therefore do away with the usb connection or will this cause problems?

You won't need two network cards unless you're doing something very
complicated. You just need a hub/switch (or use your Billion router,
below) and plug both computers and the ADSL modem into it, then they
will all be able to 'see' each other. It will give the additional
advantage that your computer will not need to be turned on for your
son's to be able to acces the internet. This assumes your ADSL modem
has an ethernet interface as well as USB.

It also assumes that the modem has a built-in router ...
Old March 6th 06, 01:04 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
jkf

the billion router has a built in modem but i can disable that and use it as
a router it has 4 ports, so my plan was too run the ntl modem through the
router and from there to my sons pc.

i think i have a problem with the cables i am using ????

as i said before, from ntl modem to router i m using a cat 5 from
router to my pc a cat 5e and from router to sons pc cat 5e
is this correct ??

thanks to all for your input

jkf

Old March 6th 06, 01:33 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alex Fraser

"jkf" wrote in message
the billion router has a built in modem but i can disable that and use it
as a router it has 4 ports, so my plan was too run the ntl modem through
the router and from there to my sons pc.

Unless you connect the modem to an RJ45 router port marked "WAN" or
"Internet" or similar, it will not work. Most likely, the router does not
have such a port, so it cannot be used as you propose.

The simplest option is to replace the router with one that /does/ have such
a port. Disable ICS on the PC currently attached to the modem, and make sure
its network card is set to use DHCP. Connect the modem to the router's WAN
port, connect the PCs to the router's LAN ports, and - with a bit of luck -
everything will "just work".

Alex

Old March 6th 06, 01:50 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

Rob Morley wrote:
In article [email protected]
wrote:
jkf wrote:
I have ntl 1mb broadband, this I share with my sons computer via a cross
over cable. modem connected to my pc by usb. at present I only have one
network card, is it possible to install another network card in my pc and
therefore do away with the usb connection or will this cause problems?

You won't need two network cards unless you're doing something very
complicated. You just need a hub/switch (or use your Billion router,
below) and plug both computers and the ADSL modem into it, then they
will all be able to 'see' each other. It will give the additional
advantage that your computer will not need to be turned on for your
son's to be able to acces the internet. This assumes your ADSL modem
has an ethernet interface as well as USB.

It also assumes that the modem has a built-in router ...

So it does - oops. However it would seem to me that since the OP has
a perfectly good ADSL Router that is the obvious way to go.

It's all a bit unclear actually as another reply assumed that "ntl 1mb
broadband" meant a cable (as opposed to ADSL) connection. That would
mean that all my waffle was irrelevant.

I think the OP needs to clarify what sort of internet connection they
have before we get too carried away.

--
Chris Green

Old March 6th 06, 01:58 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

jkf wrote:
the billion router has a built in modem but i can disable that and use it as
a router it has 4 ports, so my plan was too run the ntl modem through the
router and from there to my sons pc.

Aha, I'm beginning to understand your situation.

You have an NTL *cable* connection, not ADSL.

i think i have a problem with the cables i am using ????

as i said before, from ntl modem to router i m using a cat 5 from
router to my pc a cat 5e and from router to sons pc cat 5e
is this correct ??

If it's going to work you have the connections right, however it may
not be possible for it to work if the 'NTL Modem' is not also a
router.

If you disable (or "don't use") the ADSL part of the Billion router
you probably also disable its router ability. All you are left with
is its switch/hub ability which is fine *only if* the NTL modem is
acting as a router.

You have to have something in the chain which provides NAT (Network
Address Translation) if you are going to connect more than one PC to
the internet using a single ISP account. This is because, from the
outside world's point of view, you have only one IP address. The "NAT
router" sorts this out and sends the right things to/from the
individual computers on your home 'network' (of two computers).

--
Chris Green