A Broadband and ADSL forum. BroadbanterBanter

Welcome to BroadbanterBanter.

You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today.

Go Back   Home » BroadbanterBanter forum » Newsgroup Discussions » uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) (uk.telecom.broadband) Discussion of broadband services, technology and equipment as provided in the UK. Discussions of specific services based on ADSL, cable modems or other broadband technology are also on-topic. Advertising is not allowed.

the BB wacky race is on!! - BT fix modem or Telewest install whole new connection?



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old March 6th 06, 10:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kevin bailey
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 85
Default the BB wacky race is on!! - BT fix modem or Telewest install whole new connection?

after well publicised BT problems i'm pleased to announce that the race is
on...


in lane 1:

BT have to correctly configure one of their own routers to the customers
network settings which they've had for years. the modem can be accessed
remotely.

should take about 2 minutes.

in lane 2:

telewest have to install cable BB from scratch.

could involve digging, new cabling, setting up accounts/paperwork.

estimated time 2 weeks but may be up to 30 days.





anybody want to place bets? what odds do we reckon? who's going to win?
  #2  
Old March 6th 06, 10:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Forrester
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 28
Default the BB wacky race is on!! - BT fix modem or Telewest installwhole new connection?

kevin bailey wrote:

anybody want to place bets? what odds do we reckon? who's going to win?


Your client certainly isn't. Poor consulting on your part IMO.
  #3  
Old March 6th 06, 04:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Marc Durant
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6
Default the BB wacky race is on!! - BT fix modem or Telewest installwhole new connection?

kevin bailey wrote:

anybody want to place bets? what odds do we reckon? who's going to win?


Judging by your postings and attitude the only looser is your customer
who has YOU advising him.......
  #4  
Old March 6th 06, 04:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Marc Durant
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6
Default the BB wacky race is on!! - BT fix modem or Telewest installwhole new connection?

kevin bailey wrote:
oh cheers - the client had BT before they called me in.


And it was working before you started ****ing around with it. Please
post a business card/contact details here so we can ne recomend you pas
  #5  
Old March 6th 06, 04:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Forrester
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 28
Default the BB wacky race is on!! - BT fix modem or Telewest installwhole new connection?

Marc Durant wrote:
kevin bailey wrote:
oh cheers - the client had BT before they called me in.


And it was working before you started ****ing around with it. Please
post a business card/contact details here so we can ne recomend you pas


The poster was sporting a real looking email address and domain name
earlier - which when viewed does link to an IT related website.
  #6  
Old March 6th 06, 06:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kevin bailey
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 85
Default the BB wacky race is on!! - BT fix modem or Telewest install whole new connection?

Marc Durant wrote:

kevin bailey wrote:
oh cheers - the client had BT before they called me in.


And it was working before you started ****ing around with it. Please
post a business card/contact details here so we can ne recomend you pas


what's the matter with you?

some electrical work was carried out on the site and it the BT router was
blown when they turned the power on again. so, no, it wasn't anything to
do with me.


you're either astroturfing for BT or - what, something - i dunno.

you're trying to defend BT for some reason - but you're going against the
tide.

so a router got blown - over a week later BT have been unable to fix the
problem - a bloke in a van replaced the router but we can't get BT to set
it up properly.

meanwhile a business can not receive any email which is now being bounced.
all because of this...


BT are incapable of setting up a router to the same settings that was on the
original router. they even have remote access to the device.

and i'm serious about the race - it could well be that telewest could
install BB from scratch before the useless monopoly called BT can set up a
router.
  #7  
Old March 6th 06, 09:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Marc Durant
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6
Default the BB wacky race is on!! - BT fix modem or Telewest installwhole new connection?

kevin bailey wrote:
what's the matter with you?


Nothing at all, Yourself?
so, no, it wasn't anything to do with me.


If you say so......

you're either astroturfing for BT or - what, something - i dunno.


Not at all, You are just, if you excuse my french, making a **** of
yourself here. With your attitude and posts there is no way you really
could be considered professional or competent in any way. The childish
drival about BT is the stuff that kids do. The minute you express a view
in the manner that you did you just look like a low end consumer playing
at comms.

you're trying to defend BT for some reason - but you're going against the
tide.


I don't think so. They own the largest network in the Country and have
millions of satisfied customers. In fact, with a customer base and
serive area as large as theirs it's a suprise that you don't see many
more complaints. Especially when you consider NTL, for example, to be
much smaller and managing to get slated by Which magazine as one of the
poorest suppliers of broadband in the UK, have less than half as many
customers and even have a spoof website called 'NTHELL' as they are so
awful. Then add to this that BT Wholesale provide BB/DSL for hundreds of
different service providers via a multitude of systems with a multitude
of hardware. Something no other operator has to do. Just because kevin
the gerbal has a problem that he is not clever enough to sort out
through lack of links and communication with the RIGHT PART of BT kind
of highlights your inexperience, or lack of persistance.

so a router got blown - over a week later BT have been unable to fix the
problem - a bloke in a van replaced the router but we can't get BT to set
it up properly.


Did you ask the 'bloke in the van' to stick a console lead in it and set
it up or did you assume it would work the way you wanted out of the packet?

meanwhile a business can not receive any email which is now being bounced.
all because of this...


And you as their advisor did not build any backup or redundancy into
their setup and let them criple themselves when it went tits up? What
kind of a **** are you!

BT are incapable of setting up a router to the same settings that was on the
original router. they even have remote access to the device.


And you are also incapable of doing it. Can you not log in yourself and
achieve what you want via the browser interface or with command line
instructions or are you 'incapable' of supporting it yourself? If so,
what are you being paid for?

and i'm serious about the race - it could well be that telewest could
install BB from scratch before the useless monopoly called BT can set up a
router.


It may be, Just remember that telewest have been snapped up by NTL.
Remember, NTHELL, Which magazines worst ISP ever. Was that another of
your personal recomendations? Muppet. Go an get read the idiots guide to
telcos before you **** another businesses comms up.
  #8  
Old March 7th 06, 06:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Marc Durant
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6
Default the BB wacky race is on!! - BT fix modem or Telewest installwhole new connection?

kevin bailey wrote:
you're either astroturfing for BT or - what, something - i dunno.


Not at all, You are just, if you excuse my french, making a **** of
yourself here. With your attitude and posts there is no way you really
could be considered professional or competent in any way. The childish
drival about BT is the stuff that kids do. The minute you express a view
in the manner that you did you just look like a low end consumer playing
at comms.




ah right. the bad language might be a giveaway.

ladies and gentlemen - what we have here is the same tactics used by MS on
advocacy newsgroups - they were using vile language and accusations of
homosexuality and communist sympathies on NG's to try to stir thing's up or
waste people's time.

weird psychology of some sort.

i'll answer the points - but then i'm afraid this is getting a bit boring
and repetitve - so i'll leave then.

checkout the killfile function.


you're trying to defend BT for some reason - but you're going against the
tide.


I don't think so. They own the largest network in the Country and have
millions of satisfied customers. In fact, with a customer base and
serive area as large as theirs it's a suprise that you don't see many
more complaints. Especially when you consider NTL, for example, to be
much smaller and managing to get slated by Which magazine as one of the
poorest suppliers of broadband in the UK, have less than half as many
customers and even have a spoof website called 'NTHELL' as they are so
awful. Then add to this that BT Wholesale provide BB/DSL for hundreds of
different service providers via a multitude of systems with a multitude
of hardware. Something no other operator has to do. Just because kevin
the gerbal has a problem that he is not clever enough to sort out
through lack of links and communication with the RIGHT PART of BT kind
of highlights your inexperience, or lack of persistance.



puff for BT - then gratuitous insult.


so a router got blown - over a week later BT have been unable to fix the
problem - a bloke in a van replaced the router but we can't get BT to set
it up properly.


Did you ask the 'bloke in the van' to stick a console lead in it and set
it up or did you assume it would work the way you wanted out of the
packet?



he was from BT!

and since BT supply the router and service i thought he'd set it up - i'm
not supposed to touch the BT supplied router which was supplied by BT.


meanwhile a business can not receive any email which is now being
bounced. all because of this...


And you as their advisor did not build any backup or redundancy into
their setup and let them criple themselves when it went tits up? What
kind of a **** are you!



see - the gratuitous swearing again?

as it was i did advise them to have cable installed six months ago as part
of a strategic document. they chose not to - but they have agreed to go
ahead now.



BT are incapable of setting up a router to the same settings that was on
the
original router. they even have remote access to the device.


And you are also incapable of doing it. Can you not log in yourself and
achieve what you want via the browser interface or with command line
instructions or are you 'incapable' of supporting it yourself? If so,
what are you being paid for?



was advised that interfering with the BT router could have caused BT to
complain and possibly charge.

also, i did not have the admin login - could have tried a factory reset but
would have lost the connection settings.

refer to the other post i made about finding the manual for the siemens
router.


and i'm serious about the race - it could well be that telewest could
install BB from scratch before the useless monopoly called BT can set up
a router.


It may be, Just remember that telewest have been snapped up by NTL.
Remember, NTHELL, Which magazines worst ISP ever. Was that another of
your personal recomendations? Muppet.



i don't have any experience of telewest's service - but they are the only
one's with cable in the business park so no choice really - anyway, two
connections will be better than one. once telewest is working i've been
asked to look into replacing BT.


Go an get read the idiots guide to
telcos before you **** another businesses comms up.



actually - i got it fixed - i followed another recommendation on this NG.

i called up BTW on a number used mainly by ISP's - found out what had
happened before i said that there was a mix up and actually i was a
customer. but by that time the ball was rolling again. service was
restored 4 hours later.


here's the snippet

quote

call BT up and they say they have to get BT wholesale to call back.

they don't call back



Yep, you've got a bad case of 'BT' there.


does anyone know how to contact BT wholesale - cos the helpdesk won't give
out a number?



08000850643 - but they won't speak to you. There's a snotty little message
saying it's for the exclusive use of service providers. You could pretend
you are 'Kevin' from 'BT Connect', and ask for an update on a fault on
circuit phone number. The people they employ to man that number are
unusually retarded - even by BT employee standards - so you may just sneak
through the net. Good luck to you, and do tell us how you get on!
/quote


i have to say that the woman was very helpful - it took a while but we got
the job done!

cheers - it's been fun.

kev


All of which basically underlines the fact you do not know what you are
doing. **** off back to Macdonalds kid

plonk
  #9  
Old March 7th 06, 07:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Forrester
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 28
Default the BB wacky race is on!! - BT fix modem or Telewest installwhole new connection?

kevin bailey wrote:

so a router got blown - over a week later BT have been unable to fix the
problem - a bloke in a van replaced the router but we can't get BT to set
it up properly.

meanwhile a business can not receive any email which is now being bounced.
all because of this...


Standard procedure here is to install a temporary 50.00 router to
replace the BT one - you did consider this for your client? Time to fix
- a few hours.

The BT routers in use with our clients have all failed at some point
over the past 4-5 years - although few remain now. We carry at least
one spare Draytek for top end requirements and a cheap Zyxel router for
basic emergencies. You should consider same for your clients.

The race could have been won within a few hours - your client could have
won.
  #10  
Old March 7th 06, 09:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kevin bailey
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 85
Default the BB wacky race is on!! - BT fix modem or Telewest install whole new connection?

Colin Forrester wrote:

kevin bailey wrote:

so a router got blown - over a week later BT have been unable to fix the
problem - a bloke in a van replaced the router but we can't get BT to set
it up properly.

meanwhile a business can not receive any email which is now being
bounced. all because of this...


Standard procedure here is to install a temporary 50.00 router to
replace the BT one - you did consider this for your client? Time to fix
- a few hours.

The BT routers in use with our clients have all failed at some point
over the past 4-5 years - although few remain now. We carry at least
one spare Draytek for top end requirements and a cheap Zyxel router for
basic emergencies. You should consider same for your clients.

The race could have been won within a few hours - your client could have
won.



of course i thought of that.

the client does not have their pppoA settings - unfortunately lost in the
mists of time.

also, i was asked by the client not to spend my time on it - they expected
BT to sort it.

BTW - the 'phone' socket is not a normal socket - more like a network socket
except that it's slightly different.

does this mean that ADSL is provided over something different than the
standard copper pair?

and what models of drayteks and zyxels?
 




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Telewest Connection via set -top Pace box. [email protected] uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 5 August 1st 05 08:48 AM
UK FALLING BEHIND in Broadband race ! none uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 15 February 22nd 05 05:26 PM
Solwise USB Modem won't install on Inspiron 8000 Tiny Tim uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 3 October 16th 03 08:16 AM
telewest won't do new install. Mark uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 23 September 14th 03 11:41 PM
Setting up WLAN prior to NTL Braodband connection install Paul Jefferies uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 0 September 4th 03 05:28 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright 2004-2019 BroadbanterBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.