Spoofing a PCI Lan MAC Address?

Old March 6th 06, 01:18 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Terry

Default Spoofing a PCI Lan MAC Address?

I have reason to change the MAC address of my LAN (PCI Network Card)... to
something different to avoid a clash on the network with a MAC address
already established. The computer is running Windows XP. Does anyone know
how to override or change the existing MAC address to a new one? I aonly
need to change the last number from 7 to 8 and that should do the trick.

This is required due to cloning the computers MAC address to a cable router
to avoid issues attaching the router to the cable tv set top box.

Does anyone know how I can change this MAC address? I have heard of some
software to do this and I once heard that there is a registry entry that can
do this also? Thanks in advance for your help on this one.

Regards
Terry

Old March 6th 06, 01:48 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

In article
Terry wrote:
I have reason to change the MAC address of my LAN (PCI Network Card)... to
something different to avoid a clash on the network with a MAC address
already established. The computer is running Windows XP. Does anyone know
how to override or change the existing MAC address to a new one? I aonly
need to change the last number from 7 to 8 and that should do the trick.

This is required due to cloning the computers MAC address to a cable router
to avoid issues attaching the router to the cable tv set top box.

Surely that shouldn't be a problem as the router has that MAC address on
the WAN side, and the PC is presumably on the LAN side?

This should do it anyway

http://www.gorlani.com/publicprj/mac.../macmakeup.asp
Old March 6th 06, 02:39 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Terry

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
t...
In article
Terry wrote:
I have reason to change the MAC address of my LAN (PCI Network Card)...

something different to avoid a clash on the network with a MAC address
already established. The computer is running Windows XP. Does anyone

know
how to override or change the existing MAC address to a new one? I

aonly
need to change the last number from 7 to 8 and that should do the trick.

This is required due to cloning the computers MAC address to a cable

router
to avoid issues attaching the router to the cable tv set top box.

Surely that shouldn't be a problem as the router has that MAC address on
the WAN side, and the PC is presumably on the LAN side?

This should do it anyway

http://www.gorlani.com/publicprj/mac.../macmakeup.asp

Rob, I never thought about it like that. So do you think it will just work
as it is? Its a netgear WGR614v6 on NTL Cable and we have cloned the MAC
address of the PC because apparently the set top box needs to see the
registered computer's MAC to talk to it.

At present the MAC of the main PC is now the same MAC as the router is
using. So with the MAC in the router being on the WAN side and the MAC on
the PC being on the LAN side, if should work without changing the MAC of the
PC you think? I'd rather just plug it all together again without changing
anything else if possible.

Thanks Rob... I`d appreciate your further comments on this one.

Old March 6th 06, 03:24 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alex Fraser

"Terry" wrote in message
[snip]
Rob, I never thought about it like that. So do you think it will just
work as it is? Its a netgear WGR614v6 on NTL Cable and we have cloned
the MAC address of the PC because apparently the set top box needs to see
the registered computer's MAC to talk to it.

I expect it will work as it is. In any case, changing the NIC's MAC address
should not be necessary, as you should be able fix the STB issue:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d...tips/swap.html

Alex

Old March 6th 06, 05:24 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

In article
Terry wrote:
snip
Rob, I never thought about it like that. So do you think it will just work
as it is? Its a netgear WGR614v6 on NTL Cable and we have cloned the MAC
address of the PC because apparently the set top box needs to see the
registered computer's MAC to talk to it.

It certainly worked when I did that - although it seems you no longer
need to clone the MAC to get ntl working anyway, just reset the
modem/STB when you replace a PC with a router. I recently replaced my
old router (which had a cloned MAC address) with a new one that wasn't
cloned and it worked fine. I have a modem, it may be different with a
STB.
Old March 6th 06, 08:19 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Terry

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
t...
In article
Terry wrote:
snip
Rob, I never thought about it like that. So do you think it will just

work
as it is? Its a netgear WGR614v6 on NTL Cable and we have cloned the

MAC
address of the PC because apparently the set top box needs to see the
registered computer's MAC to talk to it.

It certainly worked when I did that - although it seems you no longer
need to clone the MAC to get ntl working anyway, just reset the
modem/STB when you replace a PC with a router. I recently replaced my
old router (which had a cloned MAC address) with a new one that wasn't
cloned and it worked fine. I have a modem, it may be different with a
STB.

Hi Rob,

Yes you and Alex were both correct in suggesting it would work without
changing the MAC address in the PC.
This system uses an NTL set top box, and so we cloned the registered MAC to
the router. It is all working very well now, and all computers on the
network have access to the internet. Thanks to you both for the input in
the subject.

Regards
Terry

Old March 7th 06, 01:26 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

yes you can change MAC address
go to network connection properties -LAN properties - configure
-advance - network - put value whish u want .

BYE .

Vishal