Troubleshooting NIC-to-device connection

Old March 6th 06, 03:02 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

Default Troubleshooting NIC-to-device connection

Hi,

I have a rather simple question. On a network card there are two LED's
representing the existance of a link and internet activity. I am
troubleshooting my network. More precise, there's a device which is
misbehaving so I am trying to identify the problem. When I connect to
internet while NOT using a device - 1st LED is always green and
constant. The 2nd LED is blinking. So I assume the blinking LED is an
activity LED. Am I correct here?

For the misbehaving device, the first LED is NOT on. However, the 2nd
LED is blinking as well. What does that mean in your oppinion?
On the device, there're 3 LED's as well: all are on and green (link,
power and polarity). Also, when I connect the device, the computer
(which is directly connected to it via a cross over cable - the right
cable for sure) sends packets, but does not receive anything back.
Another set of LED's on the device is showing some activity WHEN the
computer is sending a packet to it! So, it looks like there is a
connection between the device and a computer, but my computer NIC's 1st
LED is NOT on. Why?

Thank you

Old March 6th 06, 08:08 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

Hi, thanks for the reply.
The device is the oldest optical transmitter which was supposed to
replace the network cable. It has a build in network card. The reason I
was confused is because there are no user manuals for this hardware!
I've searched the internet already. It's just too old. However, I've
made them working between my linux machines at 10Mbps (3com NICs). For
some reason, on combination of XP and Intel *1000 card it worked only
for a short period of time and then stopped.

I was thinking there's a standard set of LED's and blinking
combinations.

Thanks again

Rob Morley wrote:
In article .com
wrote:
Hi,

I have a rather simple question. On a network card there are two LED's
representing the existance of a link and internet activity. I am
troubleshooting my network. More precise, there's a device which is
misbehaving so I am trying to identify the problem. When I connect to
internet while NOT using a device - 1st LED is always green and
constant. The 2nd LED is blinking. So I assume the blinking LED is an
activity LED. Am I correct here?

What does the manual say?

For the misbehaving device, the first LED is NOT on. However, the 2nd
LED is blinking as well. What does that mean in your oppinion?

What does the manual say?

On the device, there're 3 LED's as well: all are on and green (link,
power and polarity). Also, when I connect the device, the computer
(which is directly connected to it via a cross over cable - the right
cable for sure) sends packets, but does not receive anything back.
Another set of LED's on the device is showing some activity WHEN the
computer is sending a packet to it! So, it looks like there is a
connection between the device and a computer, but my computer NIC's 1st
LED is NOT on. Why?

Knackered cable?
Is there a reason you didn't want to give us the slightest clue as to
what the 'device' is?