newsgroups

Old March 7th 06, 10:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
cloggie99

Default newsgroups

hi all
now plusnet are stopping with the newsgroups well binary that is im looking
for a different isp, im looking at claranet are they still as good as people
use to say about them i know they are more expensive but the don't have a
usage cap any info much appreciated

Old March 7th 06, 11:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Joao Saraiva

im using f2s without problems. recently they even added 3 groups at my
request
prices start around 12.99 capped which is good i think.

Old March 7th 06, 02:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Howard

Owain wrote:

cloggie99 wrote:
now plusnet are stopping with the newsgroups well binary that is im looking
for a different isp, im looking at claranet are they still as good as people
use to say about them i know they are more expensive but the don't have a
usage cap any info much appreciated

You can get claranet's "mail and news" service without using them for
broadband. Don't know about their binaries server but text server is
IIRC 12 a year.

Owain

In July, my renewal charge was 10UKP. There are details somewhere on
their site, but they don't exactly *flaunt* it.

Howard
--
hedmundoatmacmaildotcom
Old March 7th 06, 04:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
[email protected]_reply_to_address.invalid

On Tue, 07 Mar 2006 14:20:43 +0000, Howard
wrote:

See http://www.uk.clara.net/homeaccess/mail_and_news.php

--
cerberus
Old March 7th 06, 04:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 07 Mar 2006 13:10, Owain wrote:

You can get claranet's "mail and news" service without using them for
broadband. Don't know about their binaries server but text server is
IIRC 12 a year.

9.99 (and they've been working for the last year, or so it seemed from
various posts complaining about binaries on rethinking how they handle
the binaries... It's the same record Plus.Net are playing, I think.

They do seem to have a modest cost off-peak account (ie not office hours)
with a 12 month contract, which would allow downloading from them and any
other services one wanted.

Check http://www.clara.net/btbroadband/ for the 9.99/year mail + news
(text only) account, or for 29.99/year you get mail + news (inc binaries,
10 GB/month allowed) + they register a domain for you and do hosting too.
The mail filtering is a reasonable tool, too, to drop/forward/redirect a
message, based on any of the headers in it... or simply 'deliver' it to
your Claranet POP mailbox if you find some suitable search expression,
and 'drop' anything which doesn't match your series of rules. Peter.
--

UK ADSL http://tinyurl.com/dghgq - Happy to save cash with Plus.Net!!
Old March 8th 06, 02:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Daytona

"cloggie99" wrote:

now plusnet are stopping with the newsgroups well binary that is im looking
for a different isp

Just a note to be aware that many ISP outsource the newsservice to
third parties, so you need to double check that the ISP does not use
Plusnet.

For instance, when I enquired (aiming to avoid Giganews as used by
Firefly), I discovered that NDO/Namesco use them.

Daytona
Old March 8th 06, 02:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian

Daytona wrote:
"cloggie99" wrote:

now plusnet are stopping with the newsgroups well binary that is im
looking for a different isp

Just a note to be aware that many ISP outsource the newsservice to
third parties, so you need to double check that the ISP does not use
Plusnet.

For instance, when I enquired (aiming to avoid Giganews as used by
Firefly), I discovered that NDO/Namesco use them.

Daytona

Just out of curiosity, what's wrong with Giganews?
--
Adrian A

Old March 13th 06, 11:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 07 Mar 2006 16:25, I wrote:

Check http://www.clara.net/btbroadband/ for the 9.99/year mail + news
(text only) account, or for 29.99/year you get mail + news (inc binaries,
10 GB/month allowed) + they register a domain for you and do hosting too.
The mail filtering is a reasonable tool, too, to drop/forward/redirect a
message, based on any of the headers in it...

I've gone back, and they've removed the 29.99 account. Clearly it was too
good a deal for customers, or Claranet is getting ready to stop taking any
more users of their binary news service (they've had complaints, have also
been giving compensation, and they seem to have been rethinking how to get
their service working in a completely different way to how they were doing
it in 2000. So either they'll end up with a good, reliable service, or...

--
UK ADSL http://tinyurl.com/5jpa4 - Happy to save with Plus.Net!!
Old March 13th 06, 09:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tester

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 11:03:33 +0000, poster
wrote:

On 07 Mar 2006 16:25, I wrote:

Check http://www.clara.net/btbroadband/ for the 9.99/year mail + news
(text only) account, or for 29.99/year you get mail + news (inc binaries,
10 GB/month allowed) + they register a domain for you and do hosting too.
The mail filtering is a reasonable tool, too, to drop/forward/redirect a
message, based on any of the headers in it...

I've gone back, and they've removed the 29.99 account. Clearly it was too
good a deal for customers, or Claranet is getting ready to stop taking any
more users of their binary news service (they've had complaints, have also
been giving compensation, and they seem to have been rethinking how to get
their service working in a completely different way to how they were doing
it in 2000. So either they'll end up with a good, reliable service, or...

What compensation? It was promised for nearly two years, I left about
2 months ago - if they gave it during the past 2 months or so, what
was it?