Connection puzzle

Old March 7th 06, 11:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim Downie

Default Connection puzzle

I've a friend who's got an odd problem.

She's lost her broadband access (through a D-link router/modem) on her PC
which is connected via a standard cat5 cable, but still has access via her
laptop (connected wirelessly).

Her connection was lost "mid-surf", i.e., not after making any changes to
her PC settings.

Anyone had anything similar? I've suggested trying a different cable but
I'd like to know if there's anything else obvious she should try.

Tim

Old March 7th 06, 11:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills \(aka Tiscali Tim\)

Tim Downie wrote:

I've a friend who's got an odd problem.

She's lost her broadband access (through a D-link router/modem) on
her PC which is connected via a standard cat5 cable, but still has
access via her laptop (connected wirelessly).

Her connection was lost "mid-surf", i.e., not after making any
changes to her PC settings.

Anyone had anything similar? I've suggested trying a different cable
but I'd like to know if there's anything else obvious she should try.

Tim

What happens when she re-boots the PC - is it ok again?

My hunch is that it could be a DHCP lease issue - in which case there are
other ways to resolve it, but re-booting should work.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old March 7th 06, 11:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian

Roger Mills (aka Tiscali Tim) wrote:
Tim Downie wrote:

I've a friend who's got an odd problem.

She's lost her broadband access (through a D-link router/modem) on
her PC which is connected via a standard cat5 cable, but still has
access via her laptop (connected wirelessly).

Her connection was lost "mid-surf", i.e., not after making any
changes to her PC settings.

Anyone had anything similar? I've suggested trying a different cable
but I'd like to know if there's anything else obvious she should try.

Tim

What happens when she re-boots the PC - is it ok again?

My hunch is that it could be a DHCP lease issue - in which case there
are other ways to resolve it, but re-booting should work.

Also try rebooting the router by disconnecting its power for a few seconds.
--
Adrian A

Old March 7th 06, 11:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Chung

"Tim Downie" wrote in
:

I've a friend who's got an odd problem.

She's lost her broadband access (through a D-link router/modem) on her
PC which is connected via a standard cat5 cable, but still has access
via her laptop (connected wirelessly).

Her connection was lost "mid-surf", i.e., not after making any changes
to her PC settings.

Anyone had anything similar? I've suggested trying a different cable
but I'd like to know if there's anything else obvious she should try.

Tim

Can she access the router's config pages with the cabled machine? Does
it show Internet is disconnected? If wireless machine is still able to
get online, is there a possibility that it's picked up an unsecure
network from a neighbour?

--
Phil
http://www.philipchung.co.uk/
Old March 7th 06, 12:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim Downie

Roger Mills (aka Tiscali Tim) wrote:

What happens when she re-boots the PC - is it ok again?

Nah. First thing I suggested. No joy. Rebooted the router too with
similar lack of success.

Tim

Old March 7th 06, 12:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim Downie

Phil Chung wrote:
"Tim Downie" wrote in
:

I've a friend who's got an odd problem.

She's lost her broadband access (through a D-link router/modem) on
her PC which is connected via a standard cat5 cable, but still has
access via her laptop (connected wirelessly).

Her connection was lost "mid-surf", i.e., not after making any
changes to her PC settings.

Anyone had anything similar? I've suggested trying a different cable
but I'd like to know if there's anything else obvious she should try.

Tim

Can she access the router's config pages with the cabled machine?
Does it show Internet is disconnected?

I must admit I didn't ask her to try because of the laptop internet access
status.

If wireless machine is still
able to get online, is there a possibility that it's picked up an
unsecure network from a neighbour?

Now that's an interesting thought. She lives in a tenement block so it's
entirely possible.

I'll look into it.

Cheers.

Tim

Old March 7th 06, 06:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
barry

Tim Downie wrote:
I've a friend who's got an odd problem.

She's lost her broadband access (through a D-link router/modem) on her PC
which is connected via a standard cat5 cable, but still has access via her
laptop (connected wirelessly).

Her connection was lost "mid-surf", i.e., not after making any changes to
her PC settings.

Anyone had anything similar? I've suggested trying a different cable but
I'd like to know if there's anything else obvious she should try.

Tim

has she been visiting naughty sites? some of which download programs
that alter your connection to run through some 0900 modem number. Though
I've no idea what would happen if you didnt have a modem...
Old March 8th 06, 10:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

barry wrote:
Tim Downie wrote:
I've a friend who's got an odd problem.

She's lost her broadband access (through a D-link router/modem) on
her PC which is connected via a standard cat5 cable, but still has
access via her laptop (connected wirelessly).

Her connection was lost "mid-surf", i.e., not after making any
changes to her PC settings.

Anyone had anything similar? I've suggested trying a different
cable but I'd like to know if there's anything else obvious she
should try. Tim

has she been visiting naughty sites? some of which download programs
that alter your connection to run through some 0900 modem number.
Though I've no idea what would happen if you didnt have a modem...

It can corrupt the browser so it changes what you type in the address
box, have known one case where it did effectively block internet
access as everytime that mahine tried to access the internet if
brought up the premium rate dialler & so effectively blocking all
chance off going on the web..