Codecs for voip.co.uk

Old March 8th 06, 07:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Sam Jones

Default Codecs for voip.co.uk

I'm using a Handytone 486 directly connected to my NTL cable modem but
the sound quality at my end is very poor. I've not had any complaints
at the other end of the calls so it appears to be a one way problem.

My preferred codecs currently a G729, G723, PCMU, PCMA, G726-32.

Can anyone suggest something that might improve the sound quality
please?
Old March 8th 06, 09:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Thomas Kenyon

Sam Jones wrote:
I'm using a Handytone 486 directly connected to my NTL cable modem but
the sound quality at my end is very poor. I've not had any complaints
at the other end of the calls so it appears to be a one way problem.

My preferred codecs currently a G729, G723, PCMU, PCMA, G726-32.

Can anyone suggest something that might improve the sound quality
please?

I'm assuming that PCMU and PCMA are really G.711u and G.711a.

I would personally put 723 lower down in the codec order, sounds sliiy,
but have you checked the handset in a normal phone line?
Old March 8th 06, 12:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Wed, 08 Mar 2006 09:26:48 GMT, Thomas Kenyon
wrote:

Sam Jones wrote:
I'm using a Handytone 486 directly connected to my NTL cable modem but
the sound quality at my end is very poor. I've not had any complaints
at the other end of the calls so it appears to be a one way problem.

My preferred codecs currently a G729, G723, PCMU, PCMA, G726-32.

Can anyone suggest something that might improve the sound quality
please?

I'm assuming that PCMU and PCMA are really G.711u and G.711a.

I would personally put 723 lower down in the codec order, sounds sliiy,
but have you checked the handset in a normal phone line?

I have been advised, by voip.co.uk, to use G711 exclusively for cable.
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old March 8th 06, 01:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Thomas Kenyon

wrote:

Sam Jones wrote:

I'm using a Handytone 486 directly connected to my NTL cable modem but
the sound quality at my end is very poor. I've not had any complaints
at the other end of the calls so it appears to be a one way problem.

My preferred codecs currently a G729, G723, PCMU, PCMA, G726-32.

Can anyone suggest something that might improve the sound quality
please?

I'm assuming that PCMU and PCMA are really G.711u and G.711a.

I would personally put 723 lower down in the codec order, sounds sliiy,
but have you checked the handset in a normal phone line?

I have been advised, by voip.co.uk, to use G711 exclusively for cable.

Weird, I've been using G.729a exclusively with them (on cable and
incoming only) without any problems.

Miond you, this isn't with a handytone, and G.723/6/9 use a lot more
runtime than G.711.
Old March 8th 06, 05:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

wrote:

Sam Jones wrote:

I'm using a Handytone 486 directly connected to my NTL cable modem but
the sound quality at my end is very poor. I've not had any complaints
at the other end of the calls so it appears to be a one way problem.

My preferred codecs currently a G729, G723, PCMU, PCMA, G726-32.

Can anyone suggest something that might improve the sound quality
please?

I'm assuming that PCMU and PCMA are really G.711u and G.711a.

I would personally put 723 lower down in the codec order, sounds sliiy,
but have you checked the handset in a normal phone line?

I have been advised, by voip.co.uk, to use G711 exclusively for cable.

Weird, I've been using G.729a exclusively with them (on cable and
incoming only) without any problems.

Miond you, this isn't with a handytone, and G.723/6/9 use a lot more
runtime than G.711.

My most humble apologies ..I meant g729.....YOU ARE CORRECT!!
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old March 8th 06, 05:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Thomas Kenyon

Brian A wrote:

My most humble apologies ..I meant g729.....YOU ARE CORRECT!!

FWIW, none of my voip.co.uk numbers have been working all day.
Old March 8th 06, 08:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Wed, 08 Mar 2006 17:54:56 GMT, Thomas Kenyon
wrote:

Brian A wrote:

My most humble apologies ..I meant g729.....YOU ARE CORRECT!!

FWIW, none of my voip.co.uk numbers have been working all day.

I have problems with calls dropping out, line dropping out and sound
quality issues. I have raised it but not got much of a response so
far.

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old March 8th 06, 09:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Thomas Kenyon

wrote:

Brian A wrote:

My most humble apologies ..I meant g729.....YOU ARE CORRECT!!

FWIW, none of my voip.co.uk numbers have been working all day.

I have problems with calls dropping out, line dropping out and sound
quality issues. I have raised it but not got much of a response so
far.

I'm not routing outgoing calls through them atm. but I can tell you that
all my numbers get a connection failed etc. from my mobile, or bt line.
Old March 8th 06, 10:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
David Floyd

wrote:

Brian A wrote:

My most humble apologies ..I meant g729.....YOU ARE CORRECT!!

FWIW, none of my voip.co.uk numbers have been working all day.

I have problems with calls dropping out, line dropping out and sound
quality issues. I have raised it but not got much of a response so
far.

I'm not routing outgoing calls through them atm. but I can tell you
that all my numbers get a connection failed etc. from my mobile, or bt
line.

Do you think it might be your equipment that's the problem?!

I have no problems with my 2 voip.co.uk numbers using a SPA3000

David