Are network cards much of a muchness ?

Old March 8th 06, 01:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
john

Default Are network cards much of a muchness ?

Since my old, previously redundant, 3Com 3C905B-TX is no longer
responding it looks as if I need a new network card for my upgrade to
ADSL. Are they all much of a muchness or are some better value for
money than others ? Any recs ?

I already have a Voyager 205, but even when the 3Com card was
responding I couldn't view 192.168.1.0/1 which I believe is the
routers home page. I don't have an ADSL line as yet, but in any case
should I have been able to view the admin page ?

Thanks

John
Old March 8th 06, 03:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

John wrote:
Since my old, previously redundant, 3Com 3C905B-TX is no longer
responding it looks as if I need a new network card for my upgrade to
ADSL. Are they all much of a muchness or are some better value for
money than others ? Any recs ?

I already have a Voyager 205, but even when the 3Com card was
responding I couldn't view 192.168.1.0/1 which I believe is the
routers home page. I don't have an ADSL line as yet, but in any case
should I have been able to view the admin page ?

Yes you should be able to view the router login without a connection.
Are you actually putting in 192.168.1.0/1? There should not be a slash and
the end number is likely to be one of those, not 0 and 1. Also make sure
within a browser you use http:// before the number.

Old March 8th 06, 04:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff

"John" wrote in message
news
Since my old, previously redundant, 3Com 3C905B-TX is no longer
responding it looks as if I need a new network card for my upgrade to
ADSL. Are they all much of a muchness or are some better value for
money than others ? Any recs ?

I already have a Voyager 205, but even when the 3Com card was
responding I couldn't view 192.168.1.0/1 which I believe is the
routers home page. I don't have an ADSL line as yet, but in any case
should I have been able to view the admin page ?

just get any old network card, try and get realtek 8193 based chipset
most cheapy nic's will have it

you can view admin page even without adsl plugged in

also as far as i know the 205 is basicly the same as solwise sar 110/130
but more dumbed down

Old March 8th 06, 04:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Spack

Beck wrote on Wed, 8 Mar 2006 15:38:34 -0000:

John wrote:
Since my old, previously redundant, 3Com 3C905B-TX is no longer
responding it looks as if I need a new network card for my upgrade to
ADSL. Are they all much of a muchness or are some better value for
money than others ? Any recs ?

I already have a Voyager 205, but even when the 3Com card was
responding I couldn't view 192.168.1.0/1 which I believe is the
routers home page. I don't have an ADSL line as yet, but in any case
should I have been able to view the admin page ?

Yes you should be able to view the router login without a connection.
Are you actually putting in 192.168.1.0/1? There should not be a slash
and the end number is likely to be one of those, not 0 and 1. Also make
sure within a browser you use http:// before the number.

It also won't be a 0 at the end - that's the subnet broadcast address.

Dan

Old March 8th 06, 05:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
john

"Spack" wrote:

Beck wrote on Wed, 8 Mar 2006 15:38:34 -0000:

Yes you should be able to view the router login without a connection.
Are you actually putting in 192.168.1.0/1? There should not be a slash
and the end number is likely to be one of those, not 0 and 1. Also make
sure within a browser you use http:// before the number.

It also won't be a 0 at the end - that's the subnet broadcast address.

I meant slash as in alternative, 192.168.1.0 or 192.168.1.1 as I
believe there's 2 common addresses
URL:http://corz.org/comms/hardware/router/bt.voyager.205_router.how-to.php

John
Old March 8th 06, 05:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

John wrote:
"Spack" wrote:

Beck wrote on Wed, 8 Mar 2006 15:38:34 -0000:

Yes you should be able to view the router login without a
connection. Are you actually putting in 192.168.1.0/1? There
should not be a slash and the end number is likely to be one of
those, not 0 and 1. Also make sure within a browser you use
http:// before the number.

It also won't be a 0 at the end - that's the subnet broadcast
address.

I meant slash as in alternative, 192.168.1.0 or 192.168.1.1 as I
believe there's 2 common addresses
URL:http://corz.org/comms/hardware/router/bt.voyager.205_router.how-to.php

try 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1

Old March 8th 06, 07:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Clint Sharp

In message , Spack
writes
It also won't be a 0 at the end - that's the subnet broadcast address.

Umm, no it's not, it's the network address assuming a class c subnet

Dan

--
Clint Sharp
Old March 8th 06, 08:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 08 Mar 2006 13:50 John wrote:

Are they all much of a muchness or are some better value for
money than others ? Any recs ?

I'd suspect there is little between them - in the past 2-3 years
I have bought a number of cards (always budget, ie under a fiver)
for myself, neighbours or friends to add to their PCs, with not a
single problem. Nowadays, of course, they no longer come with any
BNC T-piece :-) Last time I bought a 3C905B-TX it was on Ebay at
a couple of quid, but nowadays it seems many charge more for the
delivery than the item - may be a way to avoid Ebay fees... 1p
for the item, 16.99 for delivery, for example. Peter M.
--

UK ADSL http://tinyurl.com/dghgq - Happy to save cash with Plus.Net!!
Old March 8th 06, 09:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

poster wrote:
On 08 Mar 2006 13:50 John wrote:

Are they all much of a muchness or are some better value for
money than others ? Any recs ?

I'd suspect there is little between them - in the past 2-3 years
I have bought a number of cards (always budget, ie under a fiver)
for myself, neighbours or friends to add to their PCs, with not a
single problem. Nowadays, of course, they no longer come with any
BNC T-piece :-) Last time I bought a 3C905B-TX it was on Ebay at
a couple of quid, but nowadays it seems many charge more for the
delivery than the item - may be a way to avoid Ebay fees... 1p
for the item, 16.99 for delivery, for example. Peter M.

There are differences between cards if you actually want to use them
at their full speed, some impose much more load on your PC than others
do if you are actually trying to transfer data at 100Mb/s (on a
100Mb/s card of course). This probably isn't an issue if all that's
going around your network is limited by the speed of your ADSL
connection.

--
Chris Green

Old March 8th 06, 11:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

On Wed, 08 Mar 2006 13:50:33 +0000, in uk.telecom.broadband , John
wrote:

Since my old, previously redundant, 3Com 3C905B-TX is no longer
responding it looks as if I need a new network card for my upgrade to
ADSL. Are they all much of a muchness or are some better value for
money than others ? Any recs ?

For consumer use, they're much of a muchness. If it costs more than
about a tenner, you're being ripped off.

If you're running a commercial business off the box, and downtime is
an issue, obviously you need to spend more cash.
Mark McIntyre