Netgear DG834(G) - New firmware released

Old March 8th 06, 04:35 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

Default Netgear DG834(G) - New firmware released

Netgear have released new firmware for the DG834/DG834G family of ADSL
modem/routers.

This describes installation and bug fixes for DG834v1 and DG834Gv2
Release Version 3.01.29 software (since previous release 2.10.25).

Fixes

Version 3.01.29

- The ADSL driver was updated to improve ADSL2+ interoperability.
- Fixed a problem with the AOL proxy which prevented Macintosh iChat
from working.
- Fixed that rules to turn off the firewall didn't work when NAT was
disabled.
- A wireless SSID of 32 characters now works.
- Fixed a problem with DoS detection.
- Fixed a problem where Internet access failed across a VPN with Trend
Micro Security Services (TMSS) enabled (see limitation below in Known
Issues).

Known Issues

- Internet access across a VPN fails where the remote VPN endpoint is
"Single PC - No Subnet". (However, It does work when the remote IP is a
single address, subnet, or range.)
- There are router GUI display issues with Firefox browser.

Version 3.01.29 is available at
http://kbserver.netgear.com/release_notes/D102816.asp

Regards
Sunil

Old March 9th 06, 05:41 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
David

Sunil Sood wrote:
[...]

It's not listed on their website but has anyone installed this and
tested whether or not it fixes the date subscript bug?

Thanks, David
Old March 9th 06, 07:30 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Pandy

"Andy Pandy" wrote in message

"Sunil Sood" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

No sign of any "multicast" features for this router yet then?

Does anyone who might be in the know, know if/when this feature might be
coming for the DG834G ?

Andy

Performed the upgrade. So far so good but will need a fair bit more testing.

One interesting change for me anyway - my downstream attenuation before
upgrade (running 2.xx.xx firmware - can't remember exact version) was 52db
with a noise margin around 20db or less. After the upgrade my downstream
attenuation is now 47db with a noise margin of 25db - wow!!! Can I trust
those figures!!!???

I am currently running at 1mb but was waiting for 2mb and of course now
waiting for adslmax at my exchange to see how much more I can get (probably
4mb max given my line length which I believe to be around 3.5km from the
exchange)

Andy

Old March 15th 06, 06:00 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Dave J.

In within
uk.comp.home-networking, 'Anthony R. Gold' wrote:

On Wed, 8 Mar 2006 21:46:17 -0000, "Sunil Sood"
wrote:

v1 and v2 of the Netgear DG834/G series use the same hardware inside - its
just the outside design which is different..

Not quite, the v1 runs from 15VAC and the v2 from 12VDC, so if you have
both you need to keep your wall warts labeled, but I agree they appear to
be identical anywhere that software would care.

If anyone has both, it'd be interesting if they could look at the hardware
for comparison purposes. [Though really only for curiosity value]

Reasoning being that it's not unheard of for the 'recommended' power
supply voltage to change with no hardware alteration. Remember it's
(almost) always internally regulated, one possible reason could be to
reduce the heat dissipation of the regulators.

Dave J.
Old March 19th 06, 12:44 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Dave J.

In within
uk.comp.home-networking, 'Anthony R. Gold' wrote:

Reasoning being that it's not unheard of for the 'recommended' power
supply voltage to change with no hardware alteration. Remember it's
(almost) always internally regulated, one possible reason could be to
reduce the heat dissipation of the regulators.

Did you notice that there was a change from AC to DC power, which suggests
there was a relocation of the rectification circuitry from the wart to the
router along with the v2 redesign.

D'oh - no I didn't notice, hopefully if it was RL equipment in front of me
I would. Hopefully...

I hope the plugs/sockets are different, the change'd be a bit of a nasty
trick if not.

Dave J.
Old March 19th 06, 03:02 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Dave J.

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 00:44:11 +0000, Dave J. wrote:

In within
uk.comp.home-networking, 'Anthony R. Gold' wrote:

Did you notice that there was a change from AC to DC power, which suggests
there was a relocation of the rectification circuitry from the wart to the
router along with the v2 redesign.

D'oh - no I didn't notice, hopefully if it was RL equipment in front of me
I would. Hopefully...

I hope the plugs/sockets are different, the change'd be a bit of a nasty
trick if not.

No connector change, and indeed I was happily running a v1 (15VAC) model
on a v2 (12VDC) adapter long before I even noticed the different labels!
I doubt the v2 could run on AC, but I also doubt it would be damaged.

That makes me feel better, as I do hope I'd have noticed if it was in
front of me..

I wouldn't recomend trying the v2 on the AC supply, as the drop in nominal
voltage may be partly down to the movement of the 1.4v (or so) vdrop from
a bridge rectifier, implying that they *haven't* included one inside the
v2 main unit.

That said, your v1 working even with two sets of diode vdrop shows there's
a fair margin between incoming and regulated voltages. Perhaps it was only
halfwave rectification in the first place, I wouldn't have thought so, but
less drop that way.

Dave J.
Old March 20th 06, 01:49 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Brian McIlwrath

Sunil Sood wrote:
: Netgear have released new firmware for the DG834/DG834G family of ADSL
: modem/routers.

: Version 3.01.29 is available at
: http://kbserver.netgear.com/release_notes/D102816.asp

Seems no longer to be available at this address or referred to in the DG834G
support pages!
Old March 23rd 06, 12:56 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
David

Brian McIlwrath wrote:
Sunil Sood wrote:
: Netgear have released new firmware for the DG834/DG834G family of ADSL
: modem/routers.

: Version 3.01.29 is available at
: http://kbserver.netgear.com/release_notes/D102816.asp

Seems no longer to be available at this address or referred to in the DG834G
support pages!

I've no personal experience but there are a couple of issues raised in
the Netgear support forums with the 3.01.29 release not working properly
with static routes. Maybe that's the reason.

David.