Broadcom Utilities Software

Old March 8th 06, 07:00 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

Default Broadcom Utilities Software

My daughter has a HP laptop with a built in broadcom WiFi device.

In order to use Netstumbler I need to disable Windows WiFi
configuration but I cannot find the software for setting up the Wifi
profiles.

Anyone any ideas..

Geoff Lane

Old March 8th 06, 08:53 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Frazer Jolly Goodfellow

Geoff Lane wrote in
:

My daughter has a HP laptop with a built in broadcom WiFi
device.

In order to use Netstumbler I need to disable Windows WiFi
configuration but I cannot find the software for setting up the
Wifi profiles.

Are you sure that is necessary? I use Netstumbler on a Dell notebook
(albeit with an Intel WLAN adapter), and it disables XP's zero-config
service automatically, then restarts it on exit.

Old March 8th 06, 10:07 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ian

"Geoff Lane" wrote in message
My daughter has a HP laptop with a built in broadcom WiFi device.

In order to use Netstumbler I need to disable Windows WiFi
configuration but I cannot find the software for setting up the Wifi
profiles.

Anyone any ideas..

Geoff Lane

If you want to disable WIFI then go into the control panel and do it from
there, but then NetStumbler will not work. If you leave the computer and
run NetStumbler it will do the rest. You might be confusing yourself about
what Netstumbler is, how it works and what it is for.

Old March 9th 06, 07:59 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

On Wed, 08 Mar 2006 22:07:45 GMT, "Ian" wrote:

My daughter has a HP laptop with a built in broadcom WiFi device.

In order to use Netstumbler I need to disable Windows WiFi
configuration but I cannot find the software for setting up the Wifi
profiles.

Anyone any ideas..

Geoff Lane

If you want to disable WIFI then go into the control panel and do it from
there, but then NetStumbler will not work. If you leave the computer and
run NetStumbler it will do the rest. You might be confusing yourself about
what Netstumbler is, how it works and what it is for.

I ** may ** be but I don't think so.

I use WEP encryption and the keys are entered into the Windows
configuration; when I used Netstumbler on another laptop it disabled
Windows configuration, my AP was found but internet not available due
to WEP key not entered.

Netstumbler did find the AP but I couldn't use the internet.

Geoff Lane

Old March 9th 06, 10:25 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Frazer Jolly Goodfellow

Geoff Lane wrote in
:

[...]

AIUI Netstumbler takes over control of your wireless adapter so
that it can listen in 'promiscuous' mode i.e. monitor multiple
WLANs concurrently. As such, other WLAN activity is stopped so not
being able to see the Internet is normal.

If your WLAN adapter is compatible, Netsumbler does the work of
taking and relinquishing control of the WLAN adapter automatically.

Old March 10th 06, 05:51 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 22:25:51 GMT, Frazer Jolly Goodfellow
wrote:

I use WEP encryption and the keys are entered into the Windows
configuration; when I used Netstumbler on another laptop it
disabled Windows configuration, my AP was found but internet not
available due to WEP key not entered.

Netstumbler did find the AP but I couldn't use the internet.

Geoff,

AIUI Netstumbler takes over control of your wireless adapter so
that it can listen in 'promiscuous' mode i.e. monitor multiple
WLANs concurrently. As such, other WLAN activity is stopped so not
being able to see the Internet is normal.

On my other laptop using a netgear pci card I just switched to the
Netgear utility and Netstumbler worked fine as did my internet.

Geoff Lane

Old March 10th 06, 10:14 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Frazer Jolly Goodfellow

Geoff Lane wrote in
:

wrote:

I use WEP encryption and the keys are entered into the Windows
configuration; when I used Netstumbler on another laptop it
disabled Windows configuration, my AP was found but internet

not
available due to WEP key not entered.

Netstumbler did find the AP but I couldn't use the internet.

Geoff,

AIUI Netstumbler takes over control of your wireless adapter so
that it can listen in 'promiscuous' mode i.e. monitor multiple
WLANs concurrently. As such, other WLAN activity is stopped so

not
being able to see the Internet is normal.

On my other laptop using a netgear pci card I just switched to

the
Netgear utility and Netstumbler worked fine as did my internet.

Just tried on my Dell laptop with Intel mini-PCI WLAN card and it
works ok Netstumbling and browsing concurrently. On my Compaq
laptop it was definitely one at a time only. Maybe it depends on
the design of the WLAN adapter.

Old March 11th 06, 06:17 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 22:14:50 GMT, Frazer Jolly Goodfellow
wrote:

Just tried on my Dell laptop with Intel mini-PCI WLAN card and it
works ok Netstumbling and browsing concurrently. On my Compaq
laptop it was definitely one at a time only. Maybe it depends on
the design of the WLAN adapter.

yeah, could be.

Thanks anyway,

Geoff Lane