Does dropping line speed to 256 help with poor SNR

Old March 8th 06, 06:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John P

Default Does dropping line speed to 256 help with poor SNR

I have a 512 line which shows SNR varying between 2 (daytime) and 19
(during night) the low SNR figure believed to be caused by local
interference (the last 100 metres of the line is carried over a
college campus internal phone wiring). Would dropping the line speed
to 256 make a significant difference in particular reducing the number
of diconnections.

JP
Old March 8th 06, 06:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob

On Wed, 08 Mar 2006 18:25:18 +0000, John P wrote:

I have a 512 line which shows SNR varying between 2 (daytime) and 19
(during night) the low SNR figure believed to be caused by local
interference (the last 100 metres of the line is carried over a college
campus internal phone wiring). Would dropping the line speed to 256 make a
significant difference in particular reducing the number of diconnections.

I dont know if there are any genuine 256k services. When I had a 256k
account it was a rate-limited 512k line.
Old March 8th 06, 06:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John P

Bob wrote:
On Wed, 08 Mar 2006 18:25:18 +0000, John P wrote:

I have a 512 line which shows SNR varying between 2 (daytime) and 19
(during night) the low SNR figure believed to be caused by local
interference (the last 100 metres of the line is carried over a college
campus internal phone wiring). Would dropping the line speed to 256 make a
significant difference in particular reducing the number of diconnections.

I dont know if there are any genuine 256k services. When I had a 256k
account it was a rate-limited 512k line.

Zen (the ISP in this case) say their 256 service does sync at 256.

JP
Old March 11th 06, 10:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
TM

"John P" wrote in message
I have a 512 line which shows SNR varying between 2 (daytime) and 19
(during night) the low SNR figure believed to be caused by local
interference (the last 100 metres of the line is carried over a college
campus internal phone wiring). Would dropping the line speed to 256 make a
significant difference in particular reducing the number of diconnections.

JP

It worked in my case - switching from 512k to 256k with Zen brought my
connection from hardly-ever working to almost-always working. I am on a
long line, with an indicated 63 dB of attenuation and a downstream noise
margin usually between 2 and 9 dB at 256k. Router is a Netgear DG834.

TM

Old March 12th 06, 03:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
P H

Zen (the ISP in this case) say their 256 service does sync at 256.

The ZEN service is a true Home250 service and Sync's at the speed as you
have stated. Most of the other ISP's aren't offering this BTW product.

Phill

Old March 12th 06, 04:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 15:54:15 +0000, P H wrote:

Zen (the ISP in this case) say their 256 service does sync at 256.

The ZEN service is a true Home250 service and Sync's at the speed as you
have stated. Most of the other ISP's aren't offering this BTW product.

Is there any particular reason why Zen can do this, and other BT-based
ISPs don't (or didn't)?