Upstream and Downstream speeds

Old March 9th 06, 08:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Joao Saraiva

Default Upstream and Downstream speeds

Testing my connection I got these results

Downstream 6585 Kbps
Upstream 659 Kbps

Is it normal to have such a gap between the upstream and downstream speeds ?
What is the technical reason for such gap ?

I am quite happy with my connection when surfing, but I wonder that the day
I have to send an email with a large attachment it will take ages !

JS

Old March 9th 06, 08:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Thu, 9 Mar 2006 08:49:55 UTC, "Joao Saraiva"
wrote:

Testing my connection I got these results

Downstream 6585 Kbps
Upstream 659 Kbps

Is it normal to have such a gap between the upstream and downstream speeds ?
What is the technical reason for such gap ?

I am quite happy with my connection when surfing, but I wonder that the day
I have to send an email with a large attachment it will take ages !

You don't give enough information. Are you in the UK? If so, are you on
cable, ADSL, SDSL or ADSL Max?

I'd think you were on ADSL (the A stands for Asymmetric; downstream is
faster than upsteam) but that's rather a fast uplink speed. Another
country? Hint: this is a UK newsgroup...

euthanasia recommended. ]
Old March 9th 06, 09:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Charlie Drake

Joao Saraiva wrote:
Testing my connection I got these results

Downstream 6585 Kbps
Upstream 659 Kbps

With these figures I imagine your on the Freedom2Surf 8MBit service
which has a maximum UL speed of 768K, so you're figures look spot on.

Charlie
Old March 9th 06, 09:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Flying Rat

In article , Joao Saraiva says...

Testing my connection I got these results

Downstream 6585 Kbps
Upstream 659 Kbps

Is it normal to have such a gap between the upstream and downstream speeds ?

yes. standard lines have a set upstream at 256kbps or thereabouts,
irrespective of whether they are 256kbps up to 2 meg lines.

What is the technical reason for such gap ?

It's related to the way in which the signal is transmitted along your
telephone line. The downstream part can be expanded but the upstream bit
is fixed in size, as if you look at a spread diagram of the 'signal' the
upstream sits between the downstream part and the telephone service
part.

So it's fixed in size unless some complex reallocation is done.

I am quite happy with my connection when surfing, but I wonder that the day
I have to send an email with a large attachment it will take ages !

well pity those who are on BT bog standard 256kbps uploads then.

FR
Old March 9th 06, 09:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Flying Rat

In article , Bob Eager
says...
wrote:

Testing my connection I got these results

Downstream 6585 Kbps
Upstream 659 Kbps

Is it normal to have such a gap between the upstream and downstream speeds ?
What is the technical reason for such gap ?

I am quite happy with my connection when surfing, but I wonder that the day
I have to send an email with a large attachment it will take ages !

You don't give enough information. Are you in the UK? If so, are you on
cable, ADSL, SDSL or ADSL Max?

I'd think you were on ADSL (the A stands for Asymmetric; downstream is
faster than upsteam) but that's rather a fast uplink speed. Another
country? Hint: this is a UK newsgroup...

Hint: try reading headers.

the OP is on freedom2surf

FR
Old March 9th 06, 09:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Thu, 9 Mar 2006 09:14:14 UTC, Flying Rat wrote:

Testing my connection I got these results

Downstream 6585 Kbps
Upstream 659 Kbps

Is it normal to have such a gap between the upstream and downstream speeds ?
What is the technical reason for such gap ?

I am quite happy with my connection when surfing, but I wonder that the day
I have to send an email with a large attachment it will take ages !

You don't give enough information. Are you in the UK? If so, are you on
cable, ADSL, SDSL or ADSL Max?

I'd think you were on ADSL (the A stands for Asymmetric; downstream is
faster than upsteam) but that's rather a fast uplink speed. Another
country? Hint: this is a UK newsgroup...

Hint: try reading headers.

the OP is on freedom2surf

That a) doesn't mean that's the service he's complaining about and b) I
don't keep up with every last service that's offered (even the headers
don't tell you *which* service, and that would affect the answer).

euthanasia recommended. ]
Old March 9th 06, 10:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jason Clifford

On Thu, 9 Mar 2006, Joao Saraiva wrote:

Testing my connection I got these results

Downstream 6585 Kbps
Upstream 659 Kbps

Is it normal to have such a gap between the upstream and downstream speeds ?
What is the technical reason for such gap ?

Yes it is normal.

Your connection is ADSL - the A stands for asynchronous which basically
means that the download is bigger than the upload.

This matches with the fact that most users download lots of data but
upload very little.

Looks like you have a very good line quality too.

Jason Clifford
--
UKFSN.ORG Finance Free Software while you surf the 'net
http://www.ukfsn.org/ up to 8Mb ADSL Broadband from just 14.98

Old March 9th 06, 01:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Forrester

Jason Clifford wrote:

Your connection is ADSL - the A stands for asynchronous which basically
means that the download is bigger than the upload.

Oh no - someone will be along shortly to argue with me, but the A
doesn't stand for Asynchronous.
Old March 9th 06, 01:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

"Colin Forrester" wrote in
message
Jason Clifford wrote:

Your connection is ADSL - the A stands for asynchronous
which basically means that the download is bigger than
the upload.

Oh no - someone will be along shortly to argue with me,
but the A doesn't stand for Asynchronous.

Asymmetric (am I asymmetric because I don't like the metric system..?!)

Ivor

Old March 9th 06, 03:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Thu, 9 Mar 2006 13:46:47 UTC, "Ivor Jones"
wrote:

Asymmetric (am I asymmetric because I don't like the metric system..?!)

Perhaps you're asymmetric in the same way that Hitler was asymmetric ?

vbg

euthanasia recommended. ]