Is there something wrong with the net today?

Old March 9th 06, 10:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Is there something wrong with the net today?

Is it just me? I'm trying to install this new ADSL router modem
(admittedly a cheapo from ebuyer), and I'm surfing quite well for most
sites but then there are some sites I can't get to. So far I can't get
to Ebay, New York Times, Zdnet/Cnet. I can get to Google, Amazon,
Ebuyer, Slashdot, Msn, Apple, Lycos; no problem there and they load in
a split-second. I kept struggling with the router for some time till I
got fed up of it and reconnected a USB modem. Then, to my surprise, I
had the same problem on the USB modem. So it wasn't just the router.

Are you having a similar experience?

Old March 9th 06, 07:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

I see that you are using an AOL connection. Perhaps they are having
network problems. Certainly those sites are all working fine from my
connection here.

....and doesn`t AOL require an MTU of 1400 ?

--
--- Please add "newsgroup" in the subject of any personal replies ---
--- My anti-spam address has "ngspamtrap" & @btinternet.com in it ---
Old March 9th 06, 07:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Jason - you might want to double check the CorruptDisc link on your
site, it appears to be dead now :-(

Old March 9th 06, 07:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Jason - another quick note - would it be possible to add postal cost
info on the shop site you`ve got - ta :-}

Old March 10th 06, 07:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Colin Wilson wrote:
I see that you are using an AOL connection. Perhaps they are having
network problems. Certainly those sites are all working fine from my
connection here.

...and doesn`t AOL require an MTU of 1400 ?

--
--- Please add "newsgroup" in the subject of any personal replies ---
--- My anti-spam address has "ngspamtrap" & @btinternet.com in it ---

Thanks. I knew about the MTU of 1400 for the router, but I didn't know
that my computer too needed an MTU of 1400 until I came across this
DrTCP on broadband reports. It seems to have fixed the problem and now
I can access ebay. Many regards.

Old March 10th 06, 08:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Thanks. I knew about the MTU of 1400 for the router, but I didn't know
that my computer too needed an MTU of 1400 until I came across this
DrTCP on broadband reports. It seems to have fixed the problem and now
I can access ebay. Many regards.

Our pleasure :-)

(I can`t take the credit, as its something I learned from others on
here)

Old March 10th 06, 10:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Linker3000 wrote:
wrote:
Is it just me? I'm trying to install this new ADSL router modem
(admittedly a cheapo from ebuyer), and I'm surfing quite well for most
sites but then there are some sites I can't get to. So far I can't get
to Ebay, New York Times, Zdnet/Cnet. I can get to Google, Amazon,
Ebuyer, Slashdot, Msn, Apple, Lycos; no problem there and they load in
a split-second. I kept struggling with the router for some time till I
got fed up of it and reconnected a USB modem. Then, to my surprise, I
had the same problem on the USB modem. So it wasn't just the router.

Are you having a similar experience?

Is it one of the Safecom (or Guru) branded ones? I bought 5 of these for
a trial and they have been online rock solid since last October. I think
they were something daft like 17 each.

Yes. Those are the ones. Guru Branded Safecom from Ebuyer. I'm glad to
hear they're "rock solid". It's my first ever router and it bothered me
yesterday, I kept messing with it for a day and then thought perhaps I
should've bought a more expensive one like netgear, then on reading
about netgear was reassured that routers do need some learning to
configure them right.