2Mb uncapped

Old March 10th 06, 12:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Linker3000

Default 2Mb uncapped

Now that Zen aren't offering 2Mb uncapped, where might I get such a
beastie. Anyone saying AOL will be asked to leave the room.

Ta!
Old March 10th 06, 01:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 00:47:47 +0000, Linker3000
wrote:

Now that Zen aren't offering 2Mb uncapped, where might I get such a
beastie. Anyone saying AOL will be asked to leave the room.

Ta!

Demo HomeOffice

http://www.easynn.com
Old March 10th 06, 01:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Yddap

"Linker3000" wrote in message
Now that Zen aren't offering 2Mb uncapped, where might I get such a
beastie. Anyone saying AOL will be asked to leave the room.

Ta!

telewest / blueyonder
--

Yddap
Remove guts to reply

Old March 10th 06, 05:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 10 Mar 2006 00:47, Linker3000 wrote:

... 2Mb uncapped, where might I get such a beastie.

I think someone posted that it leaves Eclipse as one of the
"lessening number".

Of course, there are still some with caps but which aren't
too low (depends on whether it really is uncapped you need,
and whether most traffic is upstream / downstream - someone
streaming audio OUT may be happy with an ISP with download
caps, IYSWIM).

--
UK ADSL http://tinyurl.com/dghgq - Happy to save cash with Plus.Net!!
Old March 10th 06, 08:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jason Clifford

On Fri, 10 Mar 2006, Linker3000 wrote:

Now that Zen aren't offering 2Mb uncapped, where might I get such a
beastie. Anyone saying AOL will be asked to leave the room.

There are quite a number of ISPs still offering uncapped ADSL services
(ourselves included) although the rise of allowance and capped services
which are generally more popular does mean that the uncapped ones are not
always front page.

Jason
--
UKFSN.ORG Finance Free Software while you surf the 'net
http://www.ukfsn.org/ up to 8Mb ADSL Broadband from just 14.98

Old March 10th 06, 11:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Linker3000

poster wrote:
On 10 Mar 2006 00:47, Linker3000 wrote:

... 2Mb uncapped, where might I get such a beastie.

I think someone posted that it leaves Eclipse as one of the
"lessening number".

Of course, there are still some with caps but which aren't
too low (depends on whether it really is uncapped you need,
and whether most traffic is upstream / downstream - someone
streaming audio OUT may be happy with an ISP with download
caps, IYSWIM).

Thanks. Caps are a problem as we use broadband to replicate data between
offices overnight and so our usage is heavy - I was going to upgrade
some 512K Zen accounts to 2Mb but they dropped the option with around 7
days notice. If we go to DSLMax I reckon we''ll be paying through the
nose for 1/Gb extras.
Old March 10th 06, 11:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim Howes

Linker3000 wrote:
Thanks. Caps are a problem as we use broadband to replicate data between
offices overnight and so our usage is heavy

In which case, are you not limited to your upstream bandwidth between offices,
which is presumably 288kbit?

If SDSL wasn't so stupidly expensive, I'd suggest that. Some providers are
increasing upstreams. Keep an eye out for that. Failing that, how far apart
are your offices? With the right conditions and layout, and equipment, you can
fling a wifi signal a very long way ;-) (Although in 99.9999% of cases, this is
unlikely to be an option).

Failing that, you could probably cut down on the amount of data you transfer
simply by changing the way your replicate it (sending a diff, rather than a full
image, etc.), but as I know less than nothing about your particular data
requirements, I cant comment further.
Old March 10th 06, 11:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jason Clifford

On Fri, 10 Mar 2006, Linker3000 wrote:

Thanks. Caps are a problem as we use broadband to replicate data between
offices overnight and so our usage is heavy - I was going to upgrade
some 512K Zen accounts to 2Mb but they dropped the option with around 7
days notice. If we go to DSLMax I reckon we''ll be paying through the
nose for 1/Gb extras.

Have you considered an allowance based service which offers a higher
night-time bandwidth allowance?

Our MAX Allowance services give at least 300GB / month bandwidth allowance
per month. On a 2Mb line you'd have to use the line pretty much all night
every night and every hour of the weekend to exceed that.

The night time period is defined as 10pm - 8am Mon-Fri and 10pm Friday
through to 8am Monday.

Alternatively a simple uncapped service is available.

Jason
--
UKFSN.ORG Finance Free Software while you surf the 'net
http://www.ukfsn.org/ up to 8Mb ADSL Broadband from just 14.98
** FREE MIGRATION **
http://www.linuxadsl.co.uk/ ADSL Routers from just 21.98

Old March 10th 06, 01:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ron Lowe

Thanks. Caps are a problem as we use broadband to replicate data between
offices overnight and so our usage is heavy - I was going to upgrade some
512K Zen accounts to 2Mb but they dropped the option with around 7 days
notice. If we go to DSLMax I reckon we''ll be paying through the nose for
1/Gb extras.

AAISP's metered tarrifs are un-metered overnight and w/ends, and all upload
is un-metered at all times.
( In otherwords, only download during weekday daytime is metered. )

For the application you describe ( large overnight replications ) then this
may be an option.

Also they have a new feature which may be usefull, called Closed User
Groups. With this, you can isolate a set of ADSL lines into a closed group.
For example, branch office lines will route only to the head office and not
onto the Internet at large. Then Internet access can be controlled via a
central firewall at head office, or blocked totally. In this way, you have
close to a point-to-point leased line.

--
Ron

Old March 10th 06, 06:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim Crowther

On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 11:02:42, Linker3000 wrote:

poster wrote:
On 10 Mar 2006 00:47, Linker3000 wrote:

... 2Mb uncapped, where might I get such a beastie.

I think someone posted that it leaves Eclipse as one of the
"lessening number". Of course, there are still some with caps but
which aren't too low (depends on whether it really is uncapped you
need, and whether most traffic is upstream / downstream - someone
streaming audio OUT may be happy with an ISP with download caps, IYSWIM).

Thanks. Caps are a problem as we use broadband to replicate data
between offices overnight and so our usage is heavy - I was going to
upgrade some 512K Zen accounts to 2Mb but they dropped the option with
around 7 days notice. If we go to DSLMax I reckon we''ll be paying
through the nose for 1/Gb extras.

AAISP (Andrews and Arnold http://sod.ms) are un-metered between 18:00
and 08:00 Mon-Fri - and upload is un-metered 24/7. Perfick for those
overnight backups.

--
Jim Crowther. "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of
arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside,