High latency connection - advise, pls

Old March 10th 06, 01:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
BigBen

Default High latency connection - advise, pls

Hi All,

I'm using broadband over a CDMA50 wireless conection, and have high
latency figures - around 300 ms at best, 500 at worst.

Which kind of VoIP service, or which codec(s), would be more suitable
for these conditions?

TIA,
jbr
Old March 16th 06, 08:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
alexd

BigBen wrote:

I'm using broadband over a CDMA50 wireless conection, and have high
latency figures - around 300 ms at best, 500 at worst.

Which kind of VoIP service, or which codec(s), would be more suitable
for these conditions?

The shorter the sample time, the better. However, I don't think you're going
to have much luck with VoIP - even analogue would sound rubbish with 500ms
latency!

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
08:08:39 up 3 days, 22:54, 1 user, load average: 0.05, 0.03, 0.00

Old March 16th 06, 06:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
BigBen

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 08:11:11 GMT, alexd wrote:

The shorter the sample time, the better. However, I don't think you're going
to have much luck with VoIP - even analogue would sound rubbish with 500ms
latency!

OK, how about with 300 ms latency? That's the best I can get, on a
good day, and I'm hoping for better wireless connection one of
these... weeks, maybe.

TIA
jbr

Old March 16th 06, 09:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
stephen

"alexd" wrote in message ...
BigBen wrote:

I'm using broadband over a CDMA50 wireless conection, and have high
latency figures - around 300 ms at best, 500 at worst.

left this for a while to see if you got some +ve answers, as i all have
comments rather than relevant experience.

i think the killer here is the implied jitter - i dont know if any of the
common phones / codecs that cope with 200 mSec.

if the delay over short term is more stable then maybe you can get something
to work, but my 3G card (in a laptop) gives similar latencies, and it seems
to pick the delay at random for each packet.

Which kind of VoIP service, or which codec(s), would be more suitable
for these conditions?

The shorter the sample time, the better. However, I don't think you're

going
to have much luck with VoIP - even analogue would sound rubbish with 500ms
latency!

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
08:08:39 up 3 days, 22:54, 1 user, load average: 0.05, 0.03, 0.00
This is my BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMSTICK

--
Regards

- replace xyz with ntl

Old March 17th 06, 01:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
BigBen

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 21:53:14 GMT, "stephen"
wrote:

i think the killer here is the implied jitter - i dont know if any of the
common phones / codecs that cope with 200 mSec.

if the delay over short term is more stable then maybe you can get something
to work, but my 3G card (in a laptop) gives similar latencies, and it seems
to pick the delay at random for each packet.

Same thing here. The 500 ms latency I mentioned, is average latency -
sometimes smaller, others larger still!

Today I changed config, and I'm getting 400 ms (average) latency.

Curious about your 3G connection - is that really working on 3G, r
just GPRS, due to network coverage limitations?

Around here Vodafone has just relased an HSDPA card, with the promise
of 1.8 Mbps, but I'd like to know the jiter/latency issues with this,
before separating from my money for one those.

For what it's worth, I seem to get better results using Skype, other
than anything else I've tried so far, except for calls to the country
Iive in, in which case any VoIP provider service just does not work
(with my system).

regards,
jbr
Old March 17th 06, 05:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
stephen

wrote:

i think the killer here is the implied jitter - i dont know if any of the
common phones / codecs that cope with 200 mSec.

if the delay over short term is more stable then maybe you can get

something
to work, but my 3G card (in a laptop) gives similar latencies, and it

seems
to pick the delay at random for each packet.

Same thing here. The 500 ms latency I mentioned, is average latency -
sometimes smaller, others larger still!

Today I changed config, and I'm getting 400 ms (average) latency.

Curious about your 3G connection - is that really working on 3G, r
just GPRS, due to network coverage limitations?

GPRS can be well over 1 sec latency (or was, last time i had to use it
around a year back)

in the UK there is reasonable 3G coverage in built up places - this is a
combined 3G / GPRS (NEC?) card badged by Vodafone

i have a "forced 3G" profile on it at present, since in some buildings it
keeps flicking between 3G and GPRS - which is worse than GPRS when you run a
VPN client since it can take 20 sec to swap over.....

Around here Vodafone has just relased an HSDPA card, with the promise
of 1.8 Mbps, but I'd like to know the jiter/latency issues with this,
before separating from my money for one those.

3G card comes up claiming 384Kbps - it regularly bursts at 100 Kbps+ - but
the latency means it isnt much fun to use with interactive apps (corporate
outlook is the worst i use frequently)

the old joke about "it isnt good, but its better than nothing?"