BT To RJ11 Adapter For Broadband Connection, HELP!

Old March 11th 06, 04:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil

Default BT To RJ11 Adapter For Broadband Connection, HELP!

I am setting up a broadband connection for my Dad soon. He already has dial
up and therefore a cable run from his PC to his BT phone socket. I wanted to
use the same cable run but need to convert the plug on the end of his cable
that plugs into his BT line to an RJ11 so it would be suitable to plug into
the adsl side of his adsl filter. Is there such an adapter that will be
suitable? I have had a look at Maplin and found these
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx...or&doy=11m3#faq
would either of those do the job?
Thanks in advance.

Old March 11th 06, 05:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 11 Mar 2006 04:09, "Phil" wrote:

I am setting up a broadband connection for my Dad soon. He already has dial
up and therefore a cable run from his PC to his BT phone socket. I wanted to
use the same cable run but need to convert the plug on the end of his cable
that plugs into his BT line to an RJ11 so it would be suitable to plug into

I'd suggest you try using a socket doubler, so one plug will be the existing
modem to BT plug, and the second socket will take the ADSL filter (will be a
bit difficult if there's no cable from the filter to the plug) before you go
for any adaptor. The use of RJ11s and the filter having 2 different sockets
is mostly to guarantee phone and ADSL get the correct (voice = filtered and
ADSL = unfiltered) signals! I've plugged RJ11 - BT cables into the master
socket without any filters if there's no need for a phone on the line.

Old March 11th 06, 06:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil

--

Thanks for the reply poster. Am I correct in thinking I put the socket
doubler into the wall socket, put the filter into one side and the cable

Old March 11th 06, 07:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 11 Mar 2006 06:04, "Phil" wrote:

Thanks for the reply poster. Am I correct in thinking I put the socket
doubler into the wall socket, put the filter into one side and the cable
from this broadband modem into the other side of the doubler, then put the
phone in to the phone side of the filter. He only has 1 wall BT wall socket
by the way. This would then filter the phone and the ADSL would be
unfiltered. Am I correct in my thinking here.

Yes - exactly what I have done on one line - one of the routers bought in
2002 came with both RJ11 - RJ11 and RJ11 - BT cables.

If your Dad's setup doesn't work using the existing cable (test it first
with the RJ11 - RJ11 into the filter), there's a chance the existing
modem cable is wired up on different pins at the RJ11 end. Peter M.

Old March 11th 06, 08:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil

"poster" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks very much Poster. Much appreciated.

Old March 12th 06, 07:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil

"Phil" wrote in message
"poster" wrote in message
[...]

Many thanks again Poster. I set everything up as you described and it's
working perfectly.

Old March 12th 06, 11:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 12 Mar 2006 07:37, "Phil" wrote:

Many thanks again Poster. I set everything up as you described
and it's working perfectly.

Good to know. Thanks for posting back! Peter.

--
UK ADSL http://tinyurl.com/5jpa4 - Happy to save with Plus.Net!!