networking over household electricity mains power supply

Old March 11th 06, 01:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ken

Default networking over household electricity mains power supply

Is this a good idea and any suggestions for what make?

I have come to the conclusion I can't get a reliable wireless connection and
don't want to trail wires all over.

Ken

Old March 11th 06, 02:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 11 Mar 2006 13:29, "Ken" Reply to NG only wrote:

Is this a good idea and any suggestions for what make?

Given your experience, probably is a good idea... No idea of "makes"
(the subject has come up in uk.comp.home-networking if you want to
see views on equipment)... However a firm I've used (and which has
had a good reputation for years (*) is Solwise which does have one
or more routers and no doubt associated kit. See www.solwise.co.uk

Do give us a review later on, whatever you buy and let us know where
you bought it, please... I'm sure it'd be a useful read for us all.

* look for posts by (Dr) Steve Mace (via groups.google.com) re ISDN

Old March 11th 06, 03:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony

Ken wrote on Sat, 11 Mar 2006 at 13:29:24:
Is this a good idea and any suggestions for what make?

I have come to the conclusion I can't get a reliable wireless connection and
don't want to trail wires all over.

I'm successfully using the PL-14PE HomePlug units from Solwise
http://www.solwise.co.uk/net-powerline.htm. They work between house
and an outbuilding about 20 metres apart. However, they do not work to a
building extension with its own mains distribution unit and
residual-current circuit breaker; the distance isn't great but something
like the RCCB is blocking the signal. If necessary, I could probably
bridge between the two with a Cat5 cable between an extra couple of
HomePlugs.

So I can certainly recommend these 14 Mbps units and they were around
the cheapest I could find. You might like to look at the 85 Mbps units
if necessary. The slower ones don't have a problem with extending my
broadband connection!

My only connection with Solwise is as a satisfied purchaser of these
HomePlugs.

--
Tony
Old March 11th 06, 03:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
paul

"Tony" wrote in message
Ken wrote on Sat, 11 Mar 2006 at 13:29:24:
Is this a good idea and any suggestions for what make?

I have come to the conclusion I can't get a reliable wireless connection
and
don't want to trail wires all over.

I'm successfully using the PL-14PE HomePlug units from Solwise
http://www.solwise.co.uk/net-powerline.htm. They work between house and
an outbuilding about 20 metres apart.

If any of your neighbours bought a similar device, they would also be able
to use the conenction if they were on the same mains phase! It used to go R
Y B RYB RYB etc, so all on Red, Yellow and Blue would get your signal to
some extent for quite a distance. I used to get about 300ft to a mates
house years ago with those Tandy mains intercoms that used the mains cables
as a carrier.
Just make sure your system is locked and password protected.

Old March 11th 06, 04:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony

paul wrote on Sat, 11 Mar 2006 at 15:41:13:
Just make sure your system is locked and password protected.

Yes indeed.
--
Tony
Old March 11th 06, 04:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ken

"poster" wrote in message
On 11 Mar 2006 13:29, "Ken" Reply to NG only wrote:

Is this a good idea and any suggestions for what make?

Given your experience, probably is a good idea... No idea of "makes"
(the subject has come up in uk.comp.home-networking if you want to
see views on equipment)... However a firm I've used (and which has
had a good reputation for years (*) is Solwise which does have one
or more routers and no doubt associated kit. See www.solwise.co.uk

Do give us a review later on, whatever you buy and let us know where
you bought it, please... I'm sure it'd be a useful read for us all.

* look for posts by (Dr) Steve Mace (via groups.google.com) re ISDN

Thanks for tip and I will take a look at Solwise.

Ken

Old March 11th 06, 04:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ken

"paul" wrote in message

"Tony" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks Tony & Paul for tips.

Ken

Old March 13th 06, 12:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
pete devlin

In message , paul
writes
If any of your neighbours bought a similar device, they would also be
able to use the conenction if they were on the same mains phase! It
used to go R Y B RYB RYB etc, so all on Red, Yellow and Blue would get
your signal to some extent for quite a distance. I used to get about
300ft to a mates house years ago with those Tandy mains intercoms that
used the mains cables as a carrier. Just make sure your system is
locked and password protected.

The meter effectively blocks the signal so this should not be possible.
Of course there is uber sensitive gear to get around this but for all
intents and purposes the network is restricted to the house it is
installed in.
--
Pete Devlin
"And don't forget my dog, fixed and consequent"
Old March 13th 06, 01:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kim

"pete devlin" wrote in message
In message , paul
writes
If any of your neighbours bought a similar device, they would also be able
to use the conenction if they were on the same mains phase! It used to go
R Y B RYB RYB etc, so all on Red, Yellow and Blue would get your signal to
some extent for quite a distance. I used to get about 300ft to a mates
house years ago with those Tandy mains intercoms that used the mains
cables as a carrier. Just make sure your system is locked and password
protected.

The meter effectively blocks the signal so this should not be possible. Of
course there is uber sensitive gear to get around this but for all intents
and purposes the network is restricted to the house it is installed in.

A friend was boasting about having wireless in every room. Knowing the kind
of thing he downloads I'm amazed he'd risk anyone in the same house seeing
it let alone half the neighbours )

(kim)