List of error codes..?

Old March 11th 06, 02:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

Default List of error codes..?

Does anyone have a list (or a site where I could find one) of the 3 digit
error codes that are returned when a call over VoIP fails for whatever
reason, or the registration on the SIP server falls over, etc..?

I just had a call fail with the reason for error given as "503" which
means nothing to me..!

Ivor

Old March 11th 06, 02:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Thomas Kenyon

Ivor Jones wrote:
Does anyone have a list (or a site where I could find one) of the 3 digit
error codes that are returned when a call over VoIP fails for whatever
reason, or the registration on the SIP server falls over, etc..?

I just had a call fail with the reason for error given as "503" which
means nothing to me..!

Ivor

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-SIP+response+codes and the pages linked
therefrom.
503 being 'Service Unavailable'.
Old March 11th 06, 03:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mark

Ivor Jones wrote:
Does anyone have a list (or a site where I could find one) of the 3 digit
error codes that are returned when a call over VoIP fails for whatever
reason, or the registration on the SIP server falls over, etc..?

I just had a call fail with the reason for error given as "503" which
means nothing to me..!

Ivor

Dont know if SIP error codes are the same as http but normally a 503
error code means "Service Unavailable" its usually displayed when a
server is running but its status is offline and usually occurs when they
are doing server maintenance.
Old March 11th 06, 04:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Thomas Kenyon" wrote in
message
Ivor Jones wrote:
Does anyone have a list (or a site where I could find
one) of the 3 digit error codes that are returned when
a call over VoIP fails for whatever reason, or the
registration on the SIP server falls over, etc..? I just had a call
fail with the reason for error given
as "503" which means nothing to me..!

Ivor

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-SIP+response+codes and the
pages linked therefrom.
503 being 'Service Unavailable'.

Thanks for that, Thomas, site duly bookmarked..! Would 503 be a valid
error if the SIP number concerned was not logged in..? Strange because
when I tried again I got their voicemail, which I would have expected if
they were not online at the time.

I have also had a few registration timeouts, some (but not all) of which
were accompanied by a 408 (Request timeout) error. This particular error
has occurred more frequently since downloading a firmware update designed
to improve SIP registration procedures..! Device is an AVM Fritz!Box Fon
BTW and AVM tech support are baffled and say they have had no other
complaints.

Ivor

Old March 11th 06, 04:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Theo Zourzouvillys

On 11/03/2006 Ivor Jones wrote:
Does anyone have a list (or a site where I could find one) of the 3
digit
error codes that are returned when a call over VoIP fails for
whatever
reason, or the registration on the SIP server falls over, etc..?

the official list is at:

http://www.iana.org/assignments/sip-parameters

I just had a call fail with the reason for error given as "503" which
means nothing to me..!

RFC3261 has this to say about 503:

If a fatal transport error is reported by the transport layer
(generally, due to fatal ICMP errors in UDP or connection failures in
TCP), the condition MUST be treated as a 503 (Service Unavailable)
status code.

..... and ....

21.5.4. 503 Service Unavailable

The server is temporarily unable to process the request due to a
temporary overloading or maintenance of the server. The server MAY
indicate when the client should retry the request in a Retry-After
header field. If no Retry-After is given, the client MUST act as if
it had received a 500 (Server Internal Error) response.

A client (proxy or UAC) receiving a 503 (Service Unavailable) SHOULD
attempt to forward the request to an alternate server. It SHOULD NOT
forward any other requests to that server for the duration specified
in the Retry-After header field, if present.

Servers MAY refuse the connection or drop the request instead of
responding with 503 (Service Unavailable).

~ Theo
Old March 11th 06, 08:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Thomas Kenyon

Ivor Jones wrote:
"Thomas Kenyon" wrote in
message

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-SIP+response+codes and the
pages linked therefrom.
503 being 'Service Unavailable'.

Thanks for that, Thomas, site duly bookmarked..! Would 503 be a valid
error if the SIP number concerned was not logged in..? Strange because
when I tried again I got their voicemail, which I would have expected if
they were not online at the time.

I suppose it may be feasable that the server you were talking to thought
the other end was logged on and you got the 503 when it tried to hand
the call over. (I don't know the SIP protocol, so can't really comment).

I have also had a few registration timeouts, some (but not all) of which
were accompanied by a 408 (Request timeout) error. This particular error
has occurred more frequently since downloading a firmware update designed
to improve SIP registration procedures..!

With which provider? I've noticed that voip.co.uk takes 10seconds per
channel to register (which is an inordinately long time). Maybe the
maintenence they are performing tonight will improve that.

Device is an AVM Fritz!Box Fon
BTW and AVM tech support are baffled and say they have had no other
complaints.

Could be provider related. Is there anywhere in the ATA that will let
you change the length of time it takes to timeout a request?
Old March 11th 06, 08:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Thomas Kenyon" wrote in
message
Ivor Jones wrote:

[snip]

I have also had a few registration timeouts, some (but
not all) of which were accompanied by a 408 (Request
timeout) error. This particular error has occurred more
frequently since downloading a firmware update designed
to improve SIP registration procedures..!

With which provider? I've noticed that voip.co.uk takes
10seconds per channel to register (which is an
inordinately long time). Maybe the maintenence they are
performing tonight will improve that.

Sipgate. I have two lines configured, sometimes I get the error on both
simultaneously, sometimes only one.

Device is an AVM Fritz!Box Fon
BTW and AVM tech support are baffled and say they have
had no other complaints.

Could be provider related. Is there anywhere in the ATA
that will let you change the length of time it takes to
timeout a request?

Not that I can see, no. I'll have to ask their tech support again.

Ivor

Old March 11th 06, 08:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
DJ

In message , Ivor Jones
writes

"Thomas Kenyon" wrote in
message
Ivor Jones wrote:

[snip]

[...]

Hi Ivor , it is a problem with Sipgate, I honestly think that they now
don't have the capacity on their servers for all the users.
I have several accounts here with different providers on my asterisk
server, and sipgate is the only one to timeout on its registration
renewal.
It seems to have got worse in the last few months.
Is the 2 weeks up yet that they quoted for improving the capacity ?

--
DJ
Old March 11th 06, 09:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"DJ" wrote in message

In message , Ivor Jones
writes

"Thomas Kenyon" wrote in
message
Ivor Jones wrote:

[snip]

[...]

They are installing additional servers as we speak.

I have several accounts here with different providers on
my asterisk server, and sipgate is the only one to
timeout on its registration renewal.
It seems to have got worse in the last few months.
Is the 2 weeks up yet that they quoted for improving the
capacity ?

Thigs are certainly better than they were, I know that an engineer is
working full time on installing new servers as we speak, so fingers
crossed. It's certainly not happening as often as it was, maybe it is pure
coincidence that the problems occurred just after I installed new
firmware, one of the added features was improved SIP registration..!

At least I know it isn't my system.

Ivor