Handytone 486 and DECT phone. Caller ID

Old March 11th 06, 08:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
muzz

Default Handytone 486 and DECT phone. Caller ID

Hello all. Just got myself a Grandstream HT 486 rev2. I am using it
with VOIPstunt and it's working well apart from one thing. If someone
phones me on my VOIP number then caller ID works, but if they phone me
on my normal landline number it does not.
I make my phone calls through Toucan but I have caller ID from BT and
it works when the phone is plugged directly into the BT socket but not
through the 486.
Anyone else got this sorted out ?

Old March 11th 06, 08:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
sean

muzz wrote:
Hello all. Just got myself a Grandstream HT 486 rev2. I am using it
with VOIPstunt and it's working well apart from one thing. If someone
phones me on my VOIP number then caller ID works, but if they phone me
on my normal landline number it does not.
I make my phone calls through Toucan but I have caller ID from BT and
it works when the phone is plugged directly into the BT socket but not
through the 486.
Anyone else got this sorted out ?

Most ATAs which allow you to connect to the PSTN stop CLI... on BT lines
anyway.

BT CLI is not compatable... It's very unlinkly it will ever work with
the ATA you have
Old March 11th 06, 09:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
DJ

In message , Sean
writes
muzz wrote:
Hello all. Just got myself a Grandstream HT 486 rev2. I am using it
with VOIPstunt and it's working well apart from one thing. If someone
phones me on my VOIP number then caller ID works, but if they phone me
on my normal landline number it does not.
I make my phone calls through Toucan but I have caller ID from BT and
it works when the phone is plugged directly into the BT socket but not
through the 486.
Anyone else got this sorted out ?

Most ATAs which allow you to connect to the PSTN stop CLI... on BT
lines anyway.

BT CLI is not compatable... It's very unlinkly it will ever work with
the ATA you have

I think the problem is that the HT486 is only PSTN passthrough, and the
BT phone is connected to the IP side of the box monitoring the IP side
of things. When an incoming IP call rings the BT phone it passes the
CLID by means of audio frequency tones to the phone.
The phone cannot monitor both the IP line and the BT line.
And if the BT line rings, I think the HT486 detects the ringing current
and switches the BT line through to the phone. But it might not switch
it fast enough to enable the phone to see the incoming audio freq CLID
tones. And hence you will not see it on the phone.

I have an Atcom AG-168v here, and I had the same problem.
My answer was to set the AG-168 to default to the BT line, where it is
always connected via the switching relay in the box to the BT line and
hence will see the incoming CLID.
It also sees the CLID from the IP side, and when the IP side incoming
rings, the relay switches over to the IP line and sees the CLID.
I presume that the delay from the onset of ringing current on the IP
side to the sending of the CLID is longer than BT, hence long enough for
the relay to switch and the phone to see the CLID.

If I want to make a call on the IP line I just press the recall button
on the dect phone and it gives me the IP line with a different dialling
tone.

--
DJ
Old March 12th 06, 09:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

muzz wrote:

Hello all. Just got myself a Grandstream HT 486 rev2. I am using it
with VOIPstunt and it's working well apart from one thing. If someone
phones me on my VOIP number then caller ID works, but if they phone me
on my normal landline number it does not.
I make my phone calls through Toucan but I have caller ID from BT and
it works when the phone is plugged directly into the BT socket but not
through the 486.
Anyone else got this sorted out ?

Are you sure there are no settings you can tweak for CLID?

I'm using 2 or 3 Sipura SPA3000s, which all pass CLID to the phones for
inbound PSTN calls.

In fact, I've just installed one at my Mum's to /mend/ CLID - she has a
Telewest line which *WILL NOT* pass CLID to her phones. The spa3000 does,
however, successfully capture CLID from the TW line (& voip) /and/ passes
it to the phones.
Old March 12th 06, 06:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

On 11 Mar 2006 12:36:35 -0800, "muzz" wrote:

If someone
phones me on my VOIP number then caller ID works, but if they phone me
on my normal landline number it does not.

Yes, and if you look at the specs of the 486 on one of the websites
selling it, they say that it does not currently support CLID on the
passthrough connector.

I'm hoping that the "currently" implies that at some firmware upgrade
it may do, but maybe I'm being over-optimistic.
Old March 14th 06, 09:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
muzz

Thanks for the replies. I have since encountered another problem with
the 486. The sound quality at my end has deteriorated to almost
inaudible, although it's fine at the other end of the line !
I am currently in talks with the support team from whence it came and
intend to send it back.