Hissing noise heard on telephone only when router is looged in

Old March 12th 06, 11:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Hissing noise heard on telephone only when router is looged in

Hi,

I have an unusual problem, not sure when it started to occur as these
days most of the family use mobiles to make calls, but whenever our
ADSL router is logged into the ISP Virgin (NTL ?) we get a hissing/high
pitched buzzing heard on the telephone handset ( hardwired not
cordless. It hasn't always done it, only say the last couple of months
or so.

I have access to another router and have tried that, same result.
Also tried a USB ADSL modem rather than the router, same result.

Have changed all the microfilters, no difference.

If its all connected but the router not logged into the ISP then its
all fine, as soon as the router logs on and gets a WAN IP then the
noise is heard.

Its fairly bad and interferes with voice conversations on the handset
so much so that I now often turn off the router when an incoming call
comes in.

Can it be the ADSL signal or is this pecular to the ISP to whom we are
loggin into ?

If I remove a microfilter and plug the telephone straight into the BT
telco socket then there is a lot of hiss/noise which I guess is to be
expected.
I plug a microfilter into the BT telco soket and the hiss is completely
eliminated, nothing at all.
I then plug in the ADSL router and switch on, still completely silent
onthe telephone.
Once the router has booted up, still no noise..
DSL/PPP starts to flash and then logs onto the ISP, then the noise
starts.

any ideas anyone ?

Jim.

Old March 12th 06, 11:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Have also just tried logging onto BT test connection...same thing
happens so I guess its not the ISP.

The BT van has been up and down the street recently, though not at my
request..

Lines come in from pole not underground.

Jim.

Old March 12th 06, 02:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

OK...

Disconnected everything from the BT master socket...

Got my laptop...

Setup the USB Speedtouch 330 to dial up Virgin.

Plugged in a microfilter into the socket, plugged phone into the
microfilter.
Checked, no noise at the moment.

Plugged Speedtouch into the microfilter..still no noise

Speedtouch starts synching with line, as soon as the R/H LED starts to
flash on the phone I hear a high pitched
peeeeep-peep-peep-peep-sshhhhhhhh....R/H LED now lit solid...but I'm
not actually logged into the ISP...ssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh and so
on..

So I guess that this is the same with the router..it displays the
problem when the device synch's with the ADSL...(tried again with the
router a little later, yes if I leave the username and password blank
then I still get the noise even though I'm not logged on)

I have four different types of microfilter, all tried with exactly the
same results..

So it looks as if its external..drat...now I'm going to have to endure
speaking to BT.....(dark cloud forms above head)

Any thoughts as to how to couch this when I speak to them ?

I know what I'll get...."we've done a whoosh test, everything is just
fine..."

Jim.

Old March 12th 06, 02:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

BTW, tried three different telephones as well...

Jim.

Old March 12th 06, 03:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Daniel Richardson

I'll try with a new microfilter and see what happens, though I wouldn't
put any money on it..

Jim.

May be worth going to bt.com/faults report it there as far as the line
test. If it detects nothing is wrong it will give you a warning page
stating that you will be charged as no fault is found. This is useful as
it wipes out all the nasty boogiemen on the line in a simple check. Use
the 'Noise/crackling on all calls' option. If it finds a fault, let BT
deal with it.

I doubt that it's a line fault personally, but thats just my view. I
have seen 5 or so microfilters go faulty in the same house, however this
normally results in a short on the line of some description. It could be
that something has gone screwy in the exchange and you are getting a
louder signal. Did come accross it once a few years ago.
Old March 12th 06, 03:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
P H

What phone is it ? Some phones aren't compatible with broadband.

Phill.